FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overheating

My VIN:    4095 Still going w 200k plus miles. 4815 Back on the road again.

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Thanks everyone!

It's looking more and more like the head gasket. The timing is fine. Saw bubbles in the overflow, but don't know if it was combustion gasses or boiling water. Will tell Bill to check. He's about 50 miles from me so it takes a bit to get up there!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Check that the fans are turning the correct way (sucking air through radiator). Did it always have this problem?
    How can this get reversed? My car has been acting funny too and I checked the fans for airflow. When I put my hand in front - outside the rock screen - it feels like air is blowing out the front of the car rather than being sucked in. It could also be that the air IS actually being suckedn in and my mind is tricking me into believing the air flowing past my hand is coming out instead of being sucked in.

How could it be possibe for this to have gotten reversed? How do I flip flop it to test for sure.

CHeers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    How can this get reversed? My car has been acting funny too and I checked the fans for airflow. When I put my hand in front - outside the rock screen - it feels like air is blowing out the front of the car rather than being sucked in. It could also be that the air IS actually being suckedn in and my mind is tricking me into believing the air flowing past my hand is coming out instead of being sucked in.

How could it be possibe for this to have gotten reversed? How do I flip flop it to test for sure.

CHeers
    Steven
    Steve,

put a post-it note against the grill and see if it sticks. Or just reach behind an compare the wind.

Mine can feel like its backwards too, but it's all smoke and mirrors!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

You can look at the fans when they turn off and see if they are turning correctly by the fan blade angle. Some of the replacement fans don't have connectors and the PO may have wired them wrong.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Steve,

put a post-it note against the grill and see if it sticks. Or just reach behind an compare the wind.

Mine can feel like its backwards too, but it's all smoke and mirrors!
    Tested... Everything is fine.

I think I've found the problem. When I bled the system last time I didn't have the heater running and I think I have air trapped in the heater valve (or whatever it's called).
    I have noticed when it starts to overheat if I turn the heater on the engine temp drops. I don't mean slowly goes back to normal. I mean like opening a faucet.

Anyway. I bought Toby's self beeder kit so regardless I should have no more porblems.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Tested... Everything is fine.

I think I've found the problem. When I bled the system last time I didn't have the heater running and I think I have air trapped in the heater valve (or whatever it's called).
    I have noticed when it starts to overheat if I turn the heater on the engine temp drops. I don't mean slowly goes back to normal. I mean like opening a faucet.

Anyway. I bought Toby's self beeder kit so regardless I should have no more porblems.

Cheers
    Steven
    If the system is properly bled and you still have air in it, you could have a blown head gasket and you are pumping combustion gasses into the cooling system. The "auto-bleeder" is just a Band-Aid getting rid of those built-up gasses. it will still run hot and overheat. A properly running and bled PRV cooling system does not need an auto-bleeder. Are you bleeding the radiator? You need to loosen the small hose on the top, righthand tank and let the air out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

FYI: The heater core is always flowing coolant (even with the mode switch OFF) The ONLY time Coolant does not flow through is during MAX A/C. + 1 on Bleeding the radiator upper right hose. Loosen the clamp wiggle the hose back in twisting motion just enough to hear the air HISS out. Be prepare slide the hose back on quickly. If your problem persists following these steps. You know what the likely cause is.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    FYI: The heater core is always flowing coolant (even with the mode switch OFF) The ONLY time Coolant does not flow through is during MAX A/C. + 1 on Bleeding the radiator upper right hose. Loosen the clamp wiggle the hose back in twisting motion just enough to hear the air HISS out. Be prepare slide the hose back on quickly. If your problem persists following these steps. You know what the likely cause is.
    I have bled the system both at the radiator and at the water pump. I was told that you should have the heater on ful blast and blowing hot air before bleeding the system. I neglected to do that part that's why I'm thinking there maybe air trapped in there.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2