FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nerd's Opinion on a business im trying to open

My VIN:    10186

Nerd's Opinion on a business im trying to open

before I have mentioned that I was trying to open up a garage or a dealership for a business. After long research and watching what other local shops are doing , I have decided not to open up an automotive shop. my local town and the surrounding communities can not sustain another shop on top of the 20 or so already around me.

Instead, I have turned to my other passion of video gaming. There is a local game stop near where I live . It is great and all but it only has games as far back as Playstation 2 and Xbox. I find myself enjoying the games older than that more than I do the gaming of today.

What I am actively trying to do now is open up a vintage gaming shop. In my shop, I will have the new games of today. Xbox1 , PS4, PS3, Xbox 360 but I plan on to specialize in older systems such as Playstation 1 and older. I also will sell DVD movies, classic board and card games as well as strategy guides and even arcade systems when I can.

I plan on selling all major systems. a lot of older games at decent prices that may not be perfect but close, but I also plan on selling mint condition, high quality games which will obviously be at a higher price.

In your opinion, what is vintage? in a gaming shop like I plan to open, what would you expect to see in there if you walked in? what kind of environment would you expect it to be like?
    Last edited by timothymoore; 07-08-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    looking forward to having 10186 restored in the near future.

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'll sell you my old consoles (Couple of original xboxes, stuff from a Sega Saturn.. et cetera.) If you open that kind of shop.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

DeLorean owner and forum member FABombjoy does an online business similar to this.

http://console5.com/store/

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    I'll sell you my old consoles (Couple of original xboxes, stuff from a Sega Saturn.. et cetera.) If you open that kind of shop.
    if I actually open up shop, I will hit you up lol. im hoping for a early to mid 2015 for the store to open.

Quote Originally Posted by timothymoore View Post
    if I actually open up shop, I will hit you up lol. im hoping for a early to mid 2015 for the store to open.
    There is a local store tha has everything back to around Atari, it seems to do well for itself. I'm sure you have a local shop to check out like this. if not, check out G2K games Marion, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    There is a local store tha has everything back to around Atari, it seems to do well for itself. I'm sure you have a local shop to check out like this. if not, check out G2K games Marion, VA.
    im my local area, there is not a vintage game shop and am not aware of one close to me. there used to be one not far from me about 6 years ago but it failed in a matter of months because it had games so outrageously priced, the crack head couldn't make enough money to buy his next fix.

I am going to be as affordable as I can be. I also would like to offer a small lounge for some gamers to hang at and play if they choose to.

If you are ever in the Houston area, you should hit up The Game Preserve. Not console but Arcades and Pinballs.

www.gamepreservehouston.com

My VIN:    4534

I walked into a vintage shop in Plano Tx a few years ago and it was geek heaven. I was shocked and tempted when I saw an original Odyssey sitting in the display case. Had I not been flying home the next morning I would have bought it. I did buy a couple of Dreamcast games while I was there. The walls were covered with old video game cutouts and posters. Anything that wasn't a display was games from every system you could dream up. NeoGeo to the 360 to Atari.

If I were to have a perfect video game shop it would more like a hangout. A place with novelty stuff on the walls, tons of cool gaming stuff, and have a few 25 cent arcade machines to play. Excitebike is a must. At this point everything from the original XBox back is considered vintage. Set up a few systems around. Make sure that customers can test the old games they're buying. See if you can get a line of video game clothing to sell.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

You are 257.65 miles/ 4 hrs 16 mins from the game store I know, long way and I'm sure there is something much closer. If you're ever in my area, I'll show you the store; but I'm confident there is something much closer to you. Offer will always be open though.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I walked into a vintage shop in Plano Tx a few years ago and it was geek heaven. I was shocked and tempted when I saw an original Odyssey sitting in the display case. Had I not been flying home the next morning I would have bought it. I did buy a couple of Dreamcast games while I was there. The walls were covered with old video game cutouts and posters. Anything that wasn't a display was games from every system you could dream up. NeoGeo to the 360 to Atari.

If I were to have a perfect video game shop it would more like a hangout. A place with novelty stuff on the walls, tons of cool gaming stuff, and have a few 25 cent arcade machines to play. Excitebike is a must. At this point everything from the original XBox back is considered vintage. Set up a few systems around. Make sure that customers can test the old games they're buying. See if you can get a line of video game clothing to sell.
    +1 on what Kenny said. Loved the Excitebike idea... and my vote would go Shinobi or maybe Kung-fu

Seriously though, my advice would be on variety. If the business is going to survive, you'll need various things for sale that apeal to a wide range of customers. So that definitely applies to the sort of consoles of course, but other stuff that is in the same theme but will get people to give you money is important. Putting quarters into arcade cabinets or pinball games is good, t-shirts too, maybe some of the retro pop culture souvenirs stuff and isn't always video game related. Not saying the shelves have to be lined up with crap, but I had seen a store like this near me and it is gone now and I think part of it might have been because it was neat, but didn't sell enough things people wanted. If you're located in a huge city and advertise well, this might not matter. But in a small town, it didn't work for him. Having shelves and shelves of VHS tapes nobody wanted likely didn't help either.

Many of the friends of mine growing up hung out in the pool hall/arcade in town. Their core business or big ticket items might have been selling pool tables, but I can tell you that the money we spent on arcade games, pinball, playing pool by the hour, or buying 5 cent gummy bears and Swedish berries probably added up to a fair bit over time. It came with a hassle or two of young people occassionally misbehaving, but the place was there a long time.

What will keep the store alive and making your rent payments might not be the flashy stuff, but it will let you stay a float and work on the aspects you love.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast