Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: very informal get-together in New Orleans - July 25

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Why, do all new members get a copy?

Signed by Chad?
    No, due to budget cuts and the order being wrong, we are giving free copies of Paint your wagon, signed by someone nobody has ever heard of off the street.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

In case anyone was still interested at all in the event, I'm working on getting the video to YouTube later today or tonight.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    In case anyone was still interested at all in the event, I'm working on getting the video to YouTube later today or tonight.
    Without pics and video, it didn't happen...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Video, part one.

Axe and ye shall recede, or something like that.

Video, part two.

Sorry the folks in the audience didn't have microphones.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Axe and ye shall recede, or something like that.

Could Steve and Bill have been any more negative on our cars? Seriously? Farrar, I'm disappointed in your choice in panel guests.
    There are plenty of folks that could point out the shortcomings of the car while still maintaining a modicum of respect for what is an automotive icon.
    They said nothing to endear me to their cause.
    Sorry.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Farrar, I'm disappointed in your choice in panel guests.
    I'm sorry, but did you volunteer? I don't remember you saying you would drive down here.

You're disappointed in the fact that these two people volunteered to appear with me in public for no compensation whatsoever. Okay, fine. These were the guys who were available. The other two people bailed on me. Everybody knows that Steve likes to bash the DeLorean and act like a moron, and everybody knows that Bill likes to bash the car and act like a know-it-all. You asked for the video. Now you're disappointed. How am I supposed to feel about that?

There was no "cause," by the way, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. The purpose of this monthly gathering is not "support a car marqué," but "meet the DJ." I resisted until the last possible moment to appear, because I really dislike speaking extemporaneously. I was given the get-together in June, and I had two guests to talk with me about music education in New Orleans public schools. Unfortunately, the host of a national radio program came to town in June, and I got bumped to July. This meant I had no guests, because my guests were both educators and were taking their summer vacation after July 4. At the beginning of June, a staff meeting was held wherein I admitted I had no clue as to what topic I should have for my appearance. "What about your car?" someone suggested. I agreed, and tried to rustle up some guests. I started with four and ended up with two.

I should have known that, after going to the trouble of videorecording it, getting the audio from the radio station so it would be intelligible, marrying the two together, and uploading the edit to YouTube, that I'd get bitched at for my efforts on others' behalf. Unfortunately, sometimes I am an optimist.

Edit: I find it very, very sad that people assume that I agree with 100% of everything my friends say and believe. If that were true, I would have no friends. Instead, I have friends, and other people lump me in with them, and I am suddenly not a good guy when one of my friends says something offensive. Very sad indeed.
    Last edited by Farrar; 07-29-2013 at 09:17 PM.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I apologize for the one line that you personally can take offense to; the one you quoted.

The rest was a reflection of their demeanor, their words and their attitudes towards the car. The cause to which I refer is their anti-DMCtalk website. Of course you cannot control what other people will say.

For the record I don't recall any calls for volunteers however....

And I have never said you aren't a good guy.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Sorry. I guess was expecting "Thanks for going to the trouble of recording and uploading this, Farrar, so the rest of us could see and hear it." So I was somewhat taken aback. I guess I'll take it down. No one seems to care about it now that it's up, so it was a wasted effort.

My VIN:    6313

A show just on Steve's antics would have been worth a hoot... ghost peppers, noddle baths, pimp suits...

As someone from N. Ireland I always have a funny reaction to 'foreigners' trying to explain what N. Ireland was like at the time. I didn't live in Belfast, but I did live in Derry (or LondonDerry) which by some accounts was just as bad. I give the lads their dues in the video that they made an attempt to set the context of auto manufacturing in N.Ireland obviously just based on what they have read, heard, and old videos.

To get a car production plant for a new make from ground-breaking to production in 2 years is nothing short of amazing and speaks very well of all the DMC employees involved, both the locals and the DMC employees that came to N.Ireland at the time (a brave bunch).

For me personally, I don't mind the car's quirks one little bit, because when I'm working on it I think back to the lads who put it together 30 years ago. (I even like to swear in a Belfast accent in case in helps). To me its a testament to their dedication and hard work and I'm very proud to be an owner (and also modernizer) of the car. What amazes me as I learn more is just how many things they got right in the time they had to design and build the car.

The video was entertaining, perhaps more so for those of us on the forums that can interpret the quips given the interesting personalities that uttered them.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast