FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear Seal in Auto?

Only A Gibson Is Good Enough DeLorean937's Avatar

My VIN:    5712 - Ace Frehley's DMC

Club(s):   (DCF)

Rear Seal in Auto?

I am in the process if preforming a light auto rebuild to my automatic transmission. I was cleaning out the shaft area of the transmission and noticed a gasket around the rear shafts. I can't seem to find it in the DMCH diagrams to replace as I am trying to avoid any leaks coming from the transmission in the future. Is this something that is worth replacing-or notorious for leaking? I am guessing that is part # 103578.

-Robert

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean937 View Post
    I am in the process if preforming a light auto rebuild to my automatic transmission. I was cleaning out the shaft area of the transmission and noticed a gasket around the rear shafts. I can't seem to find it in the DMCH diagrams to replace as I am trying to avoid any leaks coming from the transmission in the future. Is this something that is worth replacing-or notorious for leaking? I am guessing that is part # 103578.

-Robert
    If you are talking about the seals on the output shafts from the final drive, they can be done easily with the transmission in the car if necessary. Do NOT disturb the large nut on the rear diff bearing for the final drive.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That be the case, check out 104216 ( #24 here ), you will want 103120 (#1 here) also.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That be the case, check out 104216 ( #24 here ), you will want 103120 (#1 here) also.
    FYI this is one place where the manual and the auto use the same part, although on the auto the o-ring is a different part number, it is the same part.

See

http://store.delorean.com/c-391-4-5-7-final-drive.aspx parts #3 and #34
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thank for all the replys guys! I actually have those seals and o-rings for the drive shafts. The area I'm looking at is where the transmission meets to the engine. It would almost meet up with the rear engine crankshaft seal. I'll snap a photo tomorrow as I'm at work currently.

-Robert

Thank for all the replys guys! I actually have those seals and o-rings for the drive shafts. The area I'm looking at is where the transmission meets to the engine. It would almost meet up with the rear engine crankshaft seal. I'll snap a photo tomorrow as I'm at work currently.

-Robert
    The only trans seal in that area is the torque converter seal.

There is also a rear main seal and paper gasket but they are considered engine parts.

http://store.delorean.com/c-267-1-1-1-engine-block.aspx items 3 and 4.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Yes! After checking and diagnosing, I think it is the Torque Converter Seal. I have not preformed this procedure yet, is it a difficult one to finish, or pretty straight forward?

Yes! After checking and diagnosing, I think it is the Torque Converter Seal. I have not preformed this procedure yet, is it a difficult one to finish, or pretty straight forward?
    With the trans out, it's no big deal. Just like the side seals.

http://store.delorean.com/c-387-4-5-...tercasing.aspx part ID 18.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    With the trans out, it's no big deal. Just like the side seals.

http://store.delorean.com/c-387-4-5-...tercasing.aspx part ID 18.
    If that seal is leaking you must also check the bearing and the sealing surface on the torque convertor. If the bearing is worn the new seal won't last and if the shaft is worn on the torque convertor the seal will leak. Typically not an area that leaks a lot unless the fluid got burnt and overloaded with dirt. When the fluid gets full of grit it wears the bearings and seals till they all start leaking. The two biggest reasons the automatic transmissions get rebuilt, they slip or they leak. One usually goes with the other. Once they start slipping the fluid quickly gets full of debris and that is what eats up the seals and then they leak. The auto in the Delorean seems to last pretty well though unless you continue driving on a bad shift computer. If that seal is not leaking I would just leave it alone. Try to drain as much fluid as you can out of the torque convertor, cut apart the filter, clean and reassemble, new pan gasket and fresh fluid. Reassemble and do all of the external On-Car adjustments and you should be good to go. Don't forget, the final drive has it's own, separate oil and level. it uses gear oil, NOT tranny fluid.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    FYI this is one place where the manual and the auto use the same part, although on the auto the o-ring is a different part number, it is the same part.

See

http://store.delorean.com/c-391-4-5-7-final-drive.aspx parts #3 and #34
    THX

Weird how only one of them has a different number and the different final drive break downs....