Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Warren Wallingford, formerly of DeLorean Motor Company (Houston)

My VIN:    2149

I first met Warren in 1995 when I sent my Delorean to Houston for restoration. As others have posted, Warren was courteous, knowledgeable, and always willing to assist with any problem concerning a Delorean.
    Houston is only about a 2Ĺ -3 hour drive for me. There have been many times when I drove my car there for repairs or major maintenance. DMC Houston was a smaller operation in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Usually, I could call Stephen if I needed something done and set a date to drive the car down. It usually took most of the day to get the work completed. I spent a lot of time with Warren while I was there waiting for the car. He was a special person who sincerely cared about helping everyone with any problems they encountered with their Delorean. Also, many times he saved me money by suggesting alternative ways to fix a problem. Once, when my Delorean had been left in Houston for repairs, Warren offered to drive me from Austin to Houston to pick it up. He was in Austin at the time visiting his son.
    I last saw Warren at the British car show in Round Rock, Texas last year. The cancer had taken a toll on him and I am glad I had that time to visit. Warren was a special person and will be missed by many.
    So long old friend.
    Guy
    Vin 2149 owner since 1985.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

I just came up on this thread and am very very saddened by this news.

From the times way before I ever had my car, I would call and talk to Warren with just absolute random questions, and then later orders for memorabilia, and eventually parts for cars that I was working on. It was fun getting him during a busy period, but he was always very cool toward me, and I enjoyed the random stuff we b.s.'d about. It was funny because I once ordered something and found a green mechanic's shirt with his name written on the back tag in the box. I called to tell him and he just seemed as confused and said 'oh well... yours now!'... lol! Soon after that, he retired.

RIP Warren. You will definitely be missed!!
    One of DMCTalk.org Original Administrators

Guess who's back.... back again?

My VIN:    04915

Where did Warren get his Delorean savy?

I never met Warren but had numerous conversations with him about the D. What always amazed me was how
    much he knew about DeLoreans. Where and how did he gain such knowledge? Anyone here know?
    I am a woodworker and I had so much respect and admiration for the man I made a mantle clock for him which he
    liked very much. He asked why I made it for him and after a short explanation he said "I was just doing my job"... indeed!
    Last edited by Jacko; 07-14-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I never met Warren but had numerous conversations with him about the D. What always amazed me was how
    much he knew about DeLoreans. Where and how did he gain such knowledge? Anyone here know?
    I am a woodworker and I had so much respect and admiration for the man I made a mantle clock for him which he
    liked very much. He asked why I made it for him and after a short explanation he said "I was just doing my job"... indeed!
    Warren started working for DeLorean Motor Company back in 1988. Warren said he worked almost every job in the company,
    from washing cars, to mechanic, to being "THE Parts Guy" on the other end of the phone for over 15 years. He was a real car guy.

Warren was one of kind. He was missed when he retired and he will be missed even more since he has passed on. RIP Warren.

Filmmaker, "Delorean - Living the Dream"

My VIN:    10657

A Video Tribute to Warren

Dear Friends,

The following video is a tribute to Warren Wallingford, former Parts Sales Manager at DeLorean Motor Company. Recorded at DeLorean Motor Company in Humble, Texas in September, 2009:

I had the pleasure of meeting Warren while filming my documentary "DeLorean - Living the Dream." As you can see, the interview was a last-minute, impromptu occurrence. Warren was willing to squeeze me in only on the condition he could continue to take phone calls from DeLorean customers. I, my cameraman, and my sound man all squeezed into Warren's tiny office. Please forgive the framing. In any case, I had no idea that what would unfold before my lens would turn out to be among the warmest, funniest, and most endearing moments of the entire movie. I have no doubt that DeLorean owners can say the same thing about conversing with Warren with respect to their DeLorean ownership experience - it's truly one of the highlights!

Although the documentary itself is not yet complete, when I received the sad news Warren had passed, I felt compelled to compile a tribute highlighting the best parts of Warren's interview, and present them as a standalone vignette. Only in this manner can one fully appreciate the fun and kindheartedness Warren spread to those around him.

I'm sad Warren isn't around to see himself in the video. I sensed despite his reluctance to appear on camera, he secretly enjoyed it, and moreover he enjoyed lending his wisdom and authority to any DeLorean-related project. I hope this video tribute helps to preserve Warren's memory and continue to spread his love for DeLorean cars and especially their owners.

My condolences to Warren's family, friends, co-workers, and customers. He will surely be missed by all.

Sincerely,

Jordan Livingston
    Last edited by JLPMOVIES; 07-18-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
    ------
    Jordan Livingston

jordan@JLPMOVIES.com

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

That's awesome, Jordan. I spoke to him on the phone many times, and it's nice to see him in action at last. Great to have that preserved.
    DeLorean status: 3.0L installed and running

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    That's awesome, Jordan. I spoke to him on the phone many times, and it's nice to see him in action at last. Great to have that preserved.
    +1 on this.

In fact, I wish I had called him more, now.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776, now tasked with maintaining 2932

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Several current and former co-workers of Warren's went to Austin last Thursday for his memorial service. I printed out the comments posted and tucked them in the memorial book for his family to read. Today I received this email from his sister:

Subject DMC-TX Site Visitor Contact
    Subject: DMC-TX Contact Inquiry

Message Body:
    Please forward to James Espey:

James,

I suspect it might have been you who left the printed discussion about my brother Warrenís passing from the Delorean chat room. I wanted to post a thank you on that site to everyone who posted, but it was not possible to do so without requesting membership. I derived a great deal of comfort from that print-out and other members of my family did too. It allowed me to see another side of my brother I didnít know much about. We later realized some of the Delorean folks attended the funeral and I am sorry we didnít get to meet any of you there. I know that he really really loved working there, which is also evident in the video. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
    Lucy Wallingford
    I've also attached a photo of the back of the memorial booklet, which tells all of us a little about the other, non-DeLorean side of Warren that many of us may not have known much about, either.
    Attached Files
    James Espey, Vice President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.delorean.com

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks James.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03572

I never met or spoke with Warren but sounds like a real good guy. I always knew the name since I grew up in Wallingford Ct.

A big loss for all of us and his family.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast