FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Steering in a Delorean

My VIN:    16893

Could one of the US vendors comment on what this would cost including parts and installation? I'm seriously considering getting this installed on my Delorean.

My VIN:    05141

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    He asked what happens if the angle drive is not working.
    Oops, didn't see that.

Is the set that is being sold in the US the same as the one from Ed Uding here?
    Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Why be specific about an "automatic" DeLorean? Would it make a difference?
    At the risk of being made fun of (as Dangermose was when he asked this question quoted above) for lack technical expertise... could someone kindly answer this question for us more novice and less technically inclined owners? Is there a reason why this question and consideration for a power steering upgrade would only apply to an automatic? Is there a difference in steering system and ease of steering in a stock auto vs a stock manual?

Also, why won't anyone kindly answer what the cost of the system is? I clicked the links offered and don't see pricing info. Which power steering system is it that DMCMW is using that a few people have given a positive review of here? I saw that it is a 3 hour labor job but what is the parts cost and who makes it? Is there a link to the part pricing and specs?

I appreciate the feedback.

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

There is no difference between automatic and 5 speed.
    Install time is the same, http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...ucts_id=168053
    You can take off 21% this is the Dutch tax that you don't have to pay outside the EEG.
    The shipping cost are €110,-

Regards Ed Uding
    www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    16893

Quote Originally Posted by ed uding View Post
    There is no difference between automatic and 5 speed.
    Install time is the same, http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...ucts_id=168053
    You can take off 21% this is the Dutch tax that you don't have to pay outside the EEG.
    The shipping cost are €110,-

Regards Ed Uding
    www.delorean.eu
    Ed, do you know if there are any safety concerns with the mesh on the steering column being eliminated? If I understand it correctly the purpose of that mesh is to collapse in case you get in a front end collision so that the steering column doesn't impale you.

Thanks

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have one unit in stock here at Midwest. It came here from DMC Europe.

I'd sell it for $2600 for the unit, and will sell it installed only. This unit only. After this one sells, future units will have to be ordered directly from DMC Europe.

Installation is 5-6 hours depending on issues with your car. The job is similar to replacing the stock column, with the addition of the speed sensor, an electronics box, and power wiring that goes to the back of the car. We also typically install a switch so that you can completely turn it off if you like. This is a test unit that was installed in my personal car for demonstration purposes.

Yes, the collapsible part is no longer there. I'm not a safety expert, but I've never heard of a collapsible one being collapsed either. A risk you take I guess.

I have installed them in both manual and automatic cars, there is no difference at all.

Please contact me directly for any other details.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    05141

I wrote down Ed worked on it for 3 hours.
    When I go to Ed, it us usually for the whole day becasue a I have a list of things to be done to the car while I am there.
    That is why I wrote down at leat 3 hours becasue I did not put a stopwatch next to Ed while he was building it in I know that most of the time he was lying upside down under the dash, not the most comfortable way of working.
    I do not want to create a discussion on how long it takes to build it in.

Jan

Steering with power

Cool

If You have enough electric and mechanical skills You can install almost any EPS unit in DeLorean. It is almost 2 days since I've installed mine from Toyota prius and got it working, not without some soldering and getting 2 steering columns in one, cos I didn't want new steering wheel and other stuff from toyota. Momo st. wheel is not an option too (I've driven an EVO6 with momo, had enough of them)). So all is working just fine and EPS is engaging all modes that is up to, like "assist", "damping" and "return control". And of course the EPS ECU is working with "hall" effect sensor that is mounted on the angle drive to know at what speed vehicle is going. The whole work took out 2 days of having a really good time with a car))

Oleg Karpov, Russia.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ai! View Post
    If You have enough electric and mechanical skills You can install almost any EPS unit in DeLorean. It is almost 2 days since I've installed mine from Toyota prius and got it working, not without some soldering and getting 2 steering columns in one, cos I didn't want new steering wheel and other stuff from toyota. Momo st. wheel is not an option too (I've driven an EVO6 with momo, had enough of them)). So all is working just fine and EPS is engaging all modes that is up to, like "assist", "damping" and "return control". And of course the EPS ECU is working with "hall" effect sensor that is mounted on the angle drive to know at what speed vehicle is going. The whole work took out 2 days of having a really good time with a car))

Oleg Karpov, Russia.
    Pictures and a "how-to" guide would be great!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Pictures and a "how-to" guide would be great!

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast