FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Steering in a Delorean

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My car is actually the one in Dave's shop getting the conversion (as per the original post - it is an automatic) so will definitely post my thoughts when I get the car back. The main reason for going with the power steering is A) My wife can hardly turn the steering wheel and there are times where she has needed to drive it (beer + driving = bad) and B) I live in Manhattan where I break a sweat maneuvering the crowded streets and of course parallel parking (don't worry, I always stay within 20 feet of the car ready to drop my sandwich if needed). I am also having an on/off switch installed so if I do not want the power steering, I have that option and will feel identical to stock I am told. I'll report back in a month.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    1225

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    My car is actually the one in Dave's shop getting the conversion (as per the original post - it is an automatic) so will definitely post my thoughts when I get the car back. The main reason for going with the power steering is A) My wife can hardly turn the steering wheel and there are times where she has needed to drive it (beer + driving = bad) and B) I live in Manhattan where I break a sweat maneuvering the crowded streets and of course parallel parking (don't worry, I always stay within 20 feet of the car ready to drop my sandwich if needed). I am also having an on/off switch installed so if I do not want the power steering, I have that option and will feel identical to stock I am told. I'll report back in a month.
    Awesome bro let me know how it is. How much did you spend on it if you don't mind me asking?

My VIN:    3757

Well..... I find if you have like 30 PSI in the front tires... it is REALLY easy to drive... I would think adding the power would take away from the feel when you are moving... When parking you just turn the wheel when you are MOVING... not stopped... Seems easy..

My VIN:    02613

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Well..... I find if you have like 30 PSI in the front tires... it is REALLY easy to drive...
    The manual says 23 PSI for "normal driving" and 29 PSI for "continuous high speed driving."
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    16867

Ah, good old tire pressure has entered this thread. For the number of miles most owners drive their DeLoreans, I'd say almost any pressure you want is just fine. The tire pressures quoted by car manufacturers are for achieving what they hope is the best combination of comfort and handling and tire life. If you only drive a couple of thousand miles per year, as many seem to do, you can certainly play with the pressure and get the combination of handling and comfort and not really worry about tire life. I drive considerably more than most owners and most of it is on the highway at highway speeds. At 26/27 lbs. I get the ride and handling I want and with no appreciable impact upon tire life. And, yes, higher pressure makes the low speed steering much easier.

Dick Ryan
    Vin 16867

My VIN:    02613

Like Dick said, most owners will end up replacing their tires due to age and not mileage.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I have the DMC EU unit in my own car (was available for demo rides at the open house) and we have another car in here for the conversion now.
    I drove the car when I was there a couple of weeks ahead of the open house.

I was amazed to be able to turn the wheel from lock to lock with only one finger pressed on the wheel. It felt a lot like my Daily Driver, actually; effortless and equally lifeless.

Dave hooked the unit in his car up to a switch so you can turn it on and off on the fly. With the system off, the car feels "normal", and there's about one second lag time when you turn the system back on. If I were to ever install this system, I would emulate what he's done. It just feels weird to drive at any speed with it on.

Is it worth the money? Is anything? If you have the need for it, it would allow you to maneuver the car at parking lot speed with ease. If there's a need or a great enough want, you can justify it.

If you need more details - this is the company that builds the kits.

I sat in a car on an convention this spring - and I was amazed how easy
    the steering wheel turned with the systme on.

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/language/158/17/Home.html

You can set the software to change the force with speed.

Cool stuff, expensive though.

My VIN:    16409

I thought the system was programed to shut off at driving speeds?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

???

It's even better - it can reduce the assisting power linearly down to zero depending on the speed !!!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast