FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    16409

A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

I really dislike having to remove my upper door panels. The fir trees are pain. Every time I remove them, one of fir trees is inevitably ripped out of the panel. So I was thinking, what if you glue magnets to the door panel around were the fir trees use to be and use them to keep the panels on. A magnet should adhere to the black metal bracket the fir trees stick into. Here is some magnets I found on eBay. There pretty much have the same diameter as a fir tree. The three millimeters of thickness should be enough to make contact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Pcs-Neodymium...item415b7d17ff

Has anybody else done this? This would literally turn the job of removing the upper door panel into a 2 second task.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 07-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03572

Good idea but I don't think they will be strong enough to hold the panels on. Maybe there is some different kind of clip that could be found.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    05457

Great idea! The auction you linked to doesn't say how much weight they will hold, but other magnets could work. I found these on Amazon that claim to hold over 2 lbs per magnet! Anyway, my point is that I think you could find strong enough magnets if you wanted to give it a shot. I'd love to see this in action if you do it.

Edit: Here are some with over 6 lbs of force per magnet - http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magn...ef=pd_sim_ac_2
    David Proehl

My VIN:    16409

These are the ones I ended up ordering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Pc-N42-1-2x1-...ht_2284wt_1013

They have a pull force of 5.25 pounds each. I will try five per panel and see if they hold. These Neodymium Magnets are really strong. This seller is in the US, and the other was in China. I'd rather buy from a US seller, and it only came to $5.80 for ten magnets.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

if you can secure them properly to the vehicle & headliner, there are magnets that will surely hold. one issue i could imagine is the magnets having more attraction to each other than the glue (or whatever you use) and pop off and stick to each other when being removed.

also--depending on how powerful the magnets are--i would suggest embedding them in or covering them with a thin pad or shock absorbing material of some sort. super strong magnets will snap together with such force they will actually fracture and crack bits off each other.

My VIN:    00910

Magnets stick to stainless? They don't stick to my fridge.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

depending on the strength of the magnet, the attraction to the stainless would be very mild at best due to the low content of ferrous metal in the alloy. it would not be enough attraction to support the weight of the headliner.

he would need to secure the magnets in some manner--a bracket, glue, etc. or, conversely, install the magnets in the headliner and attach ferrous metal strips to the doors.
    Last edited by dvonk; 07-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thank you for that link. I may have to get those instead. I got N52 20x3mm and considering I can barely get them apart off the stack, they may be too much for this application.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

To update, I used the N52 20x3mm magnets. I used 5 minute epoxy on them and used 4 per panel. Holds tight and looks good. Good god! I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner.
    -----Dan B.

So how tight are we talking, in terms of holding power? For example, do you need to use a screw driver to pry them off?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast