FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

My VIN:    16655

I've had to take mine off more times than I'd care to remember since my passenger window really likes jumping off the track, so this would be a nice convenient way to make it easier to both remove and put back on...

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The first time I pulled off an upper door panel the curved bracket at the end snapped off and fell down inside the door (where it still rattles to this day). Another method of attachment would be welcome. I look forward to seeing how this works out.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    16409

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    I am curious why the need to take the panel off? I have taken the door panels off exactly 3 times in 26 years. Are you using it as a storage area
    I'm sure once I do this mod, I won't have to take the door panels of again! But anyway, I've had to remove them several times. I put in door lock actuators, I redyed the panels, and I installed new door pull straps. When I first pulled them off, the fir trees were all chewed up, so I replaced most all of them. The fir trees were rather expensive ($1.25 each or something), and they are a consumable item. A couple more times of removing the panels, and I'll have to buy more. These magnets should be a one time purchase, and should stand the test of time.

The tool that DMCH sells is on the short side, and it doesn't look like it will reach all of the fir trees. I'm sure it works great for the door heainers. As a matter of fact, I have a similar tool that I've been using, and it's too short as well. That is why I always get a firtree or two that pull out of the panels.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I'm sure once I do this mod, I won't have to take the door panels of again! But anyway, I've had to remove them several times. I put in door lock actuators, I redyed the panels, and I installed new door pull straps. When I first pulled them off, the fir trees were all chewed up, so I replaced most all of them. The fir trees were rather expensive ($1.25 each or something), and they are a consumable item. A couple more times of removing the panels, and I'll have to buy more. These magnets should be a one time purchase, and should stand the test of time.

The tool that DMCH sells is on the short side, and it doesn't look like it will reach all of the fir trees. I'm sure it works great for the door heainers. As a matter of fact, I have a similar tool that I've been using, and it's too short as well. That is why I always get a firtree or two that pull out of the panels.
    Ive also had problems removing the Upper Door panels trying to use an assortment of tools, and I actually damaged some of the window weather stripping trying to do so. I'm excited to see what Chris can work up
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    03254

I understand now but it also seems to me that magnets, no matter how powerful, MIGHT come loose in spirited driving or on a bumpy road.

But I too am curious to see how well it works. Good luck.

I simply used the DMCH tool as an example, I happen to know that the automotive market is full of this type of tool and somewhere there is one perfect for this particular job. I was also able to locally source fir trees cheap from an automotive specialty shop. If you look around you most likely can as well.

Dan
    Last edited by dhaney; 07-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    ...it also seems to me that magnets, no matter how powerful, MIGHT come loose in spirited driving or on a bumpy road...
    this has come to mind. i think if done properly with strong enough magnets, it wont be an issue. e.g., using 8 of those 6 lb magnets = 48 pounds total of strength... this could be feasible. but, as with any experiment, it may require some initial trial/error.

since ive never seen a DeLorean door or an upper door panel, i cant offer any input on placement of the magnets, etc... but it sounds like Chris has some ideas in mind. im definitely interested in further developments.

also, im biased because i love magnets.

Magnet Update

I've got my new magnets from eBay, and started to glue them onto my door panels. I glued five magnets onto each panel. I used Goop to glue the magnets down, and I believe it will hold the magnets down. Before I reinstall the panels I want the Goop to dry overnight. I did however do a test fitting, and it looks like the magnets will hold the panels down nicely. Once I have them fully installed, I'll see how the five magnets works out. I can add more magnets later if need be.

Here is the eBay page again:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Pc-N42-1-2x1-...ht_2284wt_1013
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    05457

Here are the specs of the magnets used, copied from the eBay auction for posterity:

N42 Neodymium Magnets Dia 1/2" x 1/8"

Diameter: 1/2"
    Thickness: 1/8"
    Grade: N42
    Pull Force: 5.25 lbs.
    Mag Direction: Poles on the flat surfaces
    Coating: EPOXY
    Gauss: 13,200
    David Proehl

David, thanks for doing the extra bit of leg work for me. Those eBay links are only good for so long.

I have now installed both panels and I am very satisfied with the results. The five magnets seems to be holding the panels on nicely. Now the upper door panels are no longer a hassle to remove. Now, I have very easy access to the insides of my doors. I want to replace the outer window seal wipes in the future, and this mod will make is easier to do so. I've attached some pictures of the panels installed. You can barely notice any difference. For some reason, the driver side panel always fit better than the passenger side. On the passenger side there was always that lip up, and the magnets didn't help with that. I tried to push on that edge to see if I could bend it down a bit. I think it worked a little.
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Sounds to me like after this mod the panels will get knocked off pretty easily. Especially if they get bumped with the door open.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast