FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

To update, I used the N52 20x3mm magnets. I used 5 minute epoxy on them and used 4 per panel. Holds tight and looks good. Good god! I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner.
    -----Dan B.

So how tight are we talking, in terms of holding power? For example, do you need to use a screw driver to pry them off?

For mine all you need to do is wrap your fingers under the panel with the window open and pull & they'll pop off. If it needs more holding power I have more magnets to apply but I feel they're fine with the 4 N52. I opened/closed the doors pretty harshly, banged on the panel and tried all sorts of things and they're not moving.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I laughed at this idea when I first heard it. I couldn't fathom a reason for anyone to remove the door panel that often and fir trees being a buck each, even if they do wear out, it's a cheap and easy fix. I never considered the possibility of deterioration or breakage of the panels.

Sounds like a good solution to weak or comprimised door panels!

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I laughed at this idea when I first heard it. I couldn't fathom a reason for anyone to remove the door panel that often and fir trees being a buck each, even if they do wear out, it's a cheap and easy fix. I never considered the possibility of deterioration or breakage of the panels.

That's one of the main reasons I did it to my panels; one of them is plastic, and the fir trees were breaking the panel.

This was really my only option aside from buying new panels.

When I got the car, the holes in the panels where the clips are supposed to be were ripped open like someone forced the panel off and the clips stayed in the metal strip on the door. I tried various methods for years to keep the clips secured in the panel where they were supposed to be. I tried gluing them, taping them, and the latest was going to be trying to lay some fiberglass over the holes and make new ones for the clips. At this point, the magnets made sense.

My panels have been removed dozens of times in the past 16 years of ownership-door lock issues, solenoid issues, fixing dents, tinting, mirror wiring, divider channel and wipe seals.... I've always used the clip tool to remove the clips but the panels were just done.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

When I first got my car I was routinely removing the door panels. I replaced the lock solenoids with actuators, installed new integrated door straps, and few other items. Every time I took the panels off, fir trees would pop out damaging the fiberboard panels. The magnets make removing the door panels a breeze instead of a chore. The trick is your pull the panel away from the window, not lift it up. A while back I had a window go off track. It was easy to pop the panel off and reseat the window. I think people need to see the mod in person to fully appreciate it.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    When I first got my car I was routinely removing the door panels. I replaced the lock solenoids with actuators, installed new integrated door straps, and few other items. Every time I took the panels off, fir trees would pop out damaging the fiberboard panels. The magnets make removing the door panels a breeze instead of a chore. The trick is your pull the panel away from the window, not lift it up. A while back I had a window go off track. It was easy to pop the panel off and reseat the window. I think people need to see the mod in person to fully appreciate it.
    How bout a video?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    How bout a video?
    I'll work on that!
    Chris Miles

So after all these months, I finally shot a real quick video of me reinstalling my upper door panel. The window got off track (somebody closed the door with the window down, I never do that) so I was able to quickly remove the upper door panel to get started fixing the window. Thanks to the magnets, removal and replacement of the door panel is quick. Don't mind me fiddling with the locator tabs at the beginning of the video.

https://youtu.be/WtFshGUhzIU
    Chris Miles

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast