FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Sounds to me like after this mod the panels will get knocked off pretty easily. Especially if they get bumped with the door open.
    I've already driven the car after the mod and the panels did not move. When I shut the doors, the panels don't budge either. Trust me, these magnets are strong, they aren't like refrigerator magnets. My friend got one stuck to the the fender of my dad's GMC pick up, and it was very hard to get loose. You kind of have to slide them to the edge of the mounting surface, and then you can pull them off. I hope I have cast your doubts aside.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

neodymium magnets are indeed very strong. does the Goop seem to hold them well?

also, (forgive my ignorance, no D yet ) but what is it on the doors that attracts the magnets?

My VIN:    00910

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    neodymium magnets are indeed very strong. does the Goop seem to hold them well?

also, (forgive my ignorance, no D yet ) but what is it on the doors that attracts the magnets?
    Black steel bracket that the upper door panel fir trees attach to.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

ah yes. i believe you had alluded to those in a previous post. before i saw your magnet placement photo i had mistakenly thought the brackets were in the panel and you were gluing the magnets to the door. all clear now.

thanks for humoring me.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I've already driven the car after the mod and the panels did not move. When I shut the doors, the panels don't budge either. Trust me, these magnets are strong, they aren't like refrigerator magnets. My friend got one stuck to the the fender of my dad's GMC pick up, and it was very hard to get loose. You kind of have to slide them to the edge of the mounting surface, and then you can pull them off. I hope I have cast your doubts aside.
    Interesting, in that case that's pretty awesome. Hopefully like you said you'll never have to take the panel off again haha, but still job well done!

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    Ddoes the Goop seem to hold them well?
    The Goop takes a while to dry, but once it does, it is very strong. The packaging says that it may take up to 48 hours for the Goop to completely set up. I don't think I'll have a problem with the magnets coming off. I'll be interested to know if anybody else tries this.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

Chris, I think that is a really cool idea! I am just curious if you notice any shifting or sliding of the inner panels if you put pressure on them? Or are the magnets just so strong that they do not shift while they are together? All in all, a good idea!

So far, I have not noticed any movement. Once they're on there, there really isn't anywhere for them to go. They really can't move side to side since they're confined in the window sill area. They can be pulled away from the window, but the magnets hold strong. That's how I take them off; I don't lift the panel up, I pull it war from the window.

Another thought was to get the magnets that have the countersunk hole in the center. Then you could fix them with a pop rivit or something.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

This is excellent news! Congrats for being the first person to try it, and also for having it succeed!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

The natural progression of this mod is to find a way to "magnetize" the lower door panel. The screws would obviously stay, but the fir-trees on the bottom of the panel could be replaced with magnets. Here, you would need a magnet fixed to the actual door, and another fixed to the door panel. This would be more of a challenge because both magnets would have to line up exactly. The magnets with the countersunk holes would work nicely for the door side. Then, you could poprivot the magnet. You would I've to drill a hole in the door though. I may play around with this idea.
    Chris Miles

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast