FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Idea for Attaching Upper Door Panels

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
    Why did you feel the need to post this? OBVIOUSLY people are having issues with this, thus the thread and the creative fix. It's good that you don't, but a lot of us do.
    Sorry i've stepped on something, sir. If the fiber is breaking because of removal, maybe the fir trees are just too tight. Either enlarge the hole, file down the trees or get smaller ones. I agree that the panels are too delicate and pricey to have them degrade.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

The fiber is breaking because its old. This mod allows an old and fragile panel to still be used - it does not modify the car that said panel mounts too.

Steve from Baton Rouge recently sent a email from inside his car asking for help because he was locked in. He had to remove the upper panel from inside the car. If he had performed this mod, then he could easily remove the upper panel with no tools.

I don't like modifications just for the sake of changing something, but this one allows an expensive piece to keep being used with less chance for more damage, with no alterations to the car itself, and its reversible.

I understand your door panels aren't damaged, ours are. I used to worry about removing the panels, even using the proper tool. I would never want to have to test multiple fir trees, installing them, uninstalling them, shaving them by hand, trying them again - when the panel has already suffered damage.

It does work, and its not as bad an idea is you fear it is. We appreciate your input, but your not in the same situation it seems.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    The fiber is breaking because its old. This mod allows an old and fragile panel to still be used - it does not modify the car that said panel mounts too.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    16245

Now that you have done it, another idea occurs to me. Rather than a full steel strip that could affect door sag at some point (it is as far from the hinge as your gonna get), you could have just put steel sheet metal screws into the fir tree holes. If you then glue the magnets over the fir tree locations on the panel, you know they will line up. If the steel causes any problems ever then consider this as a backup plan - good thing you used rivets!
    Good Idea too! My guess is the weight savings from the new door lock actuators and windows regulators would be a push with the steel strip.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
    Good Idea too! My guess is the weight savings from the new door lock actuators and windows regulators would be a push with the steel strip.
    That's what I was thinking too.
    Chris Miles

Question

Hey guys, what's the best way to fix broken plastic tabs on the bottom of the upper door panels?

Thanks!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Busted fir trees? I'm guessing yes because the other tabs are metal...

You have two options:

1 - Replace them. Try to rotate the fir tree and see if you can work it out - the head is a cam shape, kind of like the shape of a conch shell or a word bubble in the sunday comics. As such you can work it back out of the hole in many cases. If not you have to cut it out.

You can carefully use a blade or cut off wheel to cut any remaining shaft and lower flange off flush with the board. This will still leave a head inside the panel. once the new one goes in it may bulge out a bit. If that's not acceptable, then you can carefully peel back the vinyl over the top of the panel and cut them off, so the head won't be stuck inside.

Then you can order and install new fir trees.

2 - Replace them with the magnets as outlined in this thread. I've done this on one car and it works very very well. I'll do it on the other when I next have the upper door panels off anyway.

You can get them from any of the vendors, and auto parts stores, but I'd suggest the vendors as they will be the right side and we need to support them if we want them to be here in the future.

Busted fir trees? I'm guessing yes because the other tabs are metal...

You have two options:

1 - Replace them. Try to rotate the fir tree and see if you can work it out - the head is a cam shape, kind of like the shape of a conch shell or a word bubble in the sunday comics. As such you can work it back out of the hole in many cases. If not you have to cut it out.

You can carefully use a blade or cut off wheel to cut any remaining shaft and lower flange off flush with the board. This will still leave a head inside the panel. once the new one goes in it may bulge out a bit. If that's not acceptable, then you can carefully peel back the vinyl over the top of the panel and cut them off, so the head won't be stuck inside.

Then you can order and install new fir trees.

2 - Replace them with the magnets as outlined in this thread. I've done this on one car and it works very very well. I'll do it on the other when I next have the upper door panels off anyway.

You can get them from any of the vendors, and auto parts stores, but I'd suggest the vendors as they will be the right side and we need to support them if we want them to be here in the future.
    Not the fir trees, the 3 plastic tabs(built as a part of the plastic backing) that help to line up the upper panel to the lower panel and keep it from coming outward; the metal "clip" that connects to the door toward the rear of the car is fine.

I think your panel is a little different from mine, I have a fiberboard backed panel and those tabs are metal, it sound like yours is all plastic.

Having never seen one of those I'd suggest getting some steel plate at lowes and cutting a new tab to shape out of metal using a dremel and using epoxy to join it to the backing?

Magnet Update - One Year Later

So I thought I would post an update on my "magnet mod" for the upper door panels. The panels are still holding nicely. I've only had one magnet slide a bit (most likely due to heat), but it didn't affect the functionality, and I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been nosing around. I just simply re-gooped it and all is well. I still recommend this mod for cars with the fiberboard door panels.
    Chris Miles

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast