FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel level senders?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Fuel level senders?

I have been unimpressed with the Houston stand alone fuel level sender - and the tankzilla is long gone - what are the other options? Does Ed uding have a different sender, or is it the Houston one? Grady? Josh? Hervey? What else is there out there that works well?

Tom

My VIN:    03572

Hervey was showing a new one at DCS-12.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Suffering with everyone else. I'll be on this right after binnacles.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I'm hearing the integrated fuel sender/fuel pump combo from Houston is awesome. To the point where vendors are having trouble keeping them in stock. It also fixes the collapsing tube problem by removing it from the design altogether.

I drove my car the other day at 220 degree engine temp with max AC and an ambient of about 100-105 F for two hours. Once I got off the freeway, my pump was buzzing like never before, started to cavitate, and I had to pull over for about 20 min and wait for things to cool off a bit. I'm picking up the new unit and then I'll get a new sender along with it that's very accurate. That'll be two problems gone with one install!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    16409

Josh should chime in on his new and collapse proof pick up hose.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    I'm hearing the integrated fuel sender/fuel pump combo from Houston is awesome.
    I believe it, but the price is steep if all I need is the sender. I'm running Hervey's power pump with his baffle set up, no problems after several years - it all still looks good. My only issue is the sender, which is intermittently fine, and occasionally fails. Still, when it works it's accurate, so it beats the readily available option. I'm encouraged to hear Josh has it on a to-do list - I may have to wait for him to get around to it...

Dunno about Hervey's - not really an option anyway as I'm on the Dallas Black List. Curious to hear if it works though.

T

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I believe it, but the price is steep if all I need is the sender.

Was in the exact same boat as you. Had John's fuel baffle kit - eliminated all that 1981 junk - and had his 957 fuel pump installed in my car. I did everything I could do to make my fuel pump bulletproof with DMCH's stand-alone fuel sending unit.

Finally, I popped $400 for it, and I have nearly never looked back. The design very nice, new, and similar to that of a modern car. It gets rid of that junk-crap rubber fuel boot that never seems to stay in place or gets tears in it. The design keeps fuel completely covering the pump no matter how low the fuel level is, keeping the pump cool and eliminates the "stutter, sputter, or stammer" the car exhibits when pushing down on the gas too hard if the fuel level is too low.

Yeah, $400 is a bit steep for just the sender, but the assurance it brought me along with the modern day asthetics and design were well worth it to me.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post

Dunno about Hervey's - not really an option anyway as I'm on the Dallas Black List. Curious to hear if it works though.

T
    If you decide to go with Hervey's fuel sender, let me know. I think you're up in SCV and I'll get it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post

Yeah, $400 is a bit steep for just the sender, but the assurance it brought me along with the modern day asthetics and design were well worth it to me.
    That's exactly where my mind's at, too.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I am - but I'm cautious about Hervey stuff in the first place, and nobody seems to be chiming in about what a great unit it is - so again I think its best to wait for Josh... So Josh, when you have a beta unit you need tested - let me know! Next week, the week after, whatever works...

My VIN:    03572

Hervey's unit looked nice but I think you should use a micro with any of these senders. That way you can use smart filters to prevent tank slosh from showing up on the gauge.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast