FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crystalline Window Tint by 3M

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

It looks great, by the way. How's the visibility out the side windows at night?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    DeLoreans were tinted at the factory? I've never heard this before!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    There is an extremely slight darkening of the factory glass, but its not really any kind of tint. What Alex described was just a previous tint film which had been applied to the windows of his car.

Curious what you (Alex) did with the 50?
    Yeah, I might've been mistaken on that. The 'tint' that was on there before wasn't a tint like a traditional sheet or anything like that. It was like a coating that was applied and I've never seen that done before, so I presumed it was factory. It was very gummy and tacky and I could even scrape it away with my fingernail.

Jim, I was going to touch base with you on the 50 but I forgot to. I decided to go with the 40 since the heat rejection between the 40 and 50 was pretty significant and in terms of darkness, it didn't look like a big difference. So I still have the 50 although it did get krinkled in a couple areas on the flight home but shouldn't be a problem. Would you like me to send it back to you? I have no issues at all with that. Just let me know and PM me your address. I'll put it in a poster tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    It looks great, by the way. How's the visibility out the side windows at night?
    Thanks Farrar! One thing I didn't mention was how dark it looked in the pics. It looks that way at that angle, light, picture, etc but you can clearly still see inside which is nice. You want the character of the car to stay the same unless you really want to go with that 'I'm a mysterious guy' look. As far as night goes, it's perfect. It's not too dark at all. One window I didn't touch was the rear defroster window. That one is plain glass. With the louvers, it wouldn't make any sense to tint it plus at that point it really might make things too dark.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Would you like me to send it back to you?
    Nope. Find someone else who could really use it, and pass it on.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

One window I didn't touch was the rear defroster window. That one is plain glass. With the louvers, it wouldn't make any sense to tint it plus at that point it really might make things too dark.
    Agreed -- a previous owner of my car tinted just the door and rear QP glass and left the windshield and rear glass alone. Looks fine.

The nearest 3M-authorised dealer for this tint is ~40mi. from me. Not so bad a drive if they can do it while I wait. I think I'll go with the tint levels you chose -- it looks great, and will come in handy on those over-100-degree days here! Thanks for all the info!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I would be interested in this tint. Please send PM if still available.

Thanks!

Rusty

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Alex,

Take some photo's inside the car looking out. Include shots with the side glass down and compination quartering A-pilar shots shots through windshield and door glass. A light colorered background would also be preffered. I am curious if their was any bubbling issues?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Alex,

Take some photo's inside the car looking out. Include shots with the side glass down and compination quartering A-pilar shots shots through windshield and door glass. A light colorered background would also be preffered. I am curious if their was any bubbling issues?
    Hi Dennis,

Here you go. As far as bubbling goes, there is some microbubbling that I'm seeing and if it doesn't go away in another week, then I'll have them fix it. Supposedly it takes a little time for the tint to fully seat itself sometimes. But 3m warranties the tint against turning purple and bubbling for life.

IMG_6029.jpgIMG_6030.jpgIMG_6031.jpgIMG_6032.jpgIMG_6033.jpg

PS Rusty, I sent you a PM

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Will do. Thanks again, Jim!

Alex Abdalla

My VIN:    4534

I went by a 3M shop today just to get an estimate on what it'd cost to do Red's windows. 150 for the windshield only and a little over 400 for the entire car. It's cheaper than I expected. I'm going to save up and have it done before I start the interior work. I'm going to ask them to cut around the rearview mirror. Anything else I should make note of or do before I have this done?
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Hi Dennis,

Here you go. As far as bubbling goes, there is some microbubbling that I'm seeing and if it doesn't go away in another week, then I'll have them fix it. Supposedly it takes a little time for the tint to fully seat itself sometimes. But 3m warranties the tint against turning purple and bubbling for life.

IMG_6029.jpgIMG_6030.jpgIMG_6031.jpgIMG_6032.jpgIMG_6033.jpg

PS Rusty, I sent you a PM
    Alex - did you see a big drop in interior temps? I am thinking of having mine done soon as well.

FWIW, the quote I got to do the whole car including windshield is right around $350 as well. The guy did ask that I remove the upper door cards for him before bringing the car in so he didn't have to risk damaging them. Seems fair to me, I'd rather do it myself anyway!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast