FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Start Issues With My '99 Jaguar XK8

My VIN:    3501

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hot Start Issues With My '99 Jaguar XK8

Hi everyone! Just pulled my XK8 out of storage about a month ago and have been enjoying it ever since!

However, today I had an issue that seems to be repeating. This morning it fired up immediately. I drove 45 mins to work and it ran FLAWLESS. I pulled over to get coffee and when I returned the car wouldn't start. It cranks and cranks but it won't turn over. I tried for 15 mins or so with no luck. I sat in the car for another 10 mins without trying then finally tried one last time and it immediately fired right up. As if nothing was ever wrong! From there I drove it to the office without any issues.

I drove home without any issues at all and again, it performed FLAWLESS. After I parked it in my garage I tried to start it again and again, it won't start. I waited 30 mins and tried again. BANG! No problems, fired right up!

In conclusion, when the car is hot it won't start. It tries to start but sounds as if I'm out of gas (I'm not).

Any ideas or thoughts here?

Thanks!
    Jay

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'd see if it was throwing any codes. If not, I'd pull a plug wire and see if it had spark. If so, try a short shot of ether to eliminate fuel delivery...

The only code I have right now is P440 which translates to Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

Not sure if the 2 issues are related but my guess is they just might be!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Not likely, that is a code for the pressure in the fuel tank (bad cap, hose, canister broke, etc.)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This Jag's hot-start failure symptom is very much like what PRV engines suffer if there is a fuel rest pressure retention problem.

Rock Auto parts catalog says that '97-'02 XK8s have a Fuel Pressure Regulator in the FI system.

A quick look at a Jag forum thread for this problem on this car suggests that the FP regulator or the fuel pump check valve might be faulty. In any case a rest pressure retention test is in order.

Check post #4 for a good description.
    Link:http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...ator-do-43297/

The Jag regulator is not the same thing as a K-Jet accumulator - the Jag regulator is a high-pressure bypass valve - but if it leaks when it should be closed or if the fuel pump check valve leaks shortly after the engine is turned off then the fuel rail pressure will drop and the fuel can vaporize leading to hot starts that get longer or are impossible til the engine cools down.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

+1 on the FP regulator. Had something similar happen on our Cadillac. In my case it was leaking into the vacuum port and causing slow starting. More cranking than normal.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Have you tried going on jaguarforums.com?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Sure have. I'm a regular member there as well. However, no one has provided as good of a solution as Rich has.
    Last edited by nofear365; 07-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by nofear365 View Post
    Sure have. I'm a regular member there as well. However, no one has provided as good of a solution as Rich has.
    Nice. I've found that that forum is nowhere near as active as this forum. Anyway, good luck with your Jag.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by nofear365 View Post
    Well, half of Rich's info came out of the link in Post #5 to jaguarforums.com, so everybody's a winner on this one! - Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast