FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanting to destroy your DMC? Here is a good place to start...

My VIN:    1800

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The link worked for me but I have Autocad and solidworks. I'm not sure what other programs will open a .dwg file. Thanks for posting!
    The link for the .dwg file worked for me also. I was referring to the facebook link for the other files. I just used the search function on facebook and found the page, so it's all good now.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    2848

Anybody have any idea what a decent welder would charge to put the rear part of the car together if you had it CNC cut? Maybe Gary could guesstimate?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Just leave me out of it..

Years ago when I had parts waterjet cut they were running about $750-$800 a set - this was just for the cutting.

My first set was cheaper since I hand sheared all my vent parts. However, what I saved in cutting costs was offset by the welding costs. I think I paid $500 to have my first set welded up nearly 10 years ago. After that I plucked down a few thousand for my own MIG welder and just did it myself since I could use the welder for stuff other than just Time Machine bits.

Your best bet would be to find a fabricator local who can do TIG welding on aluminum and show him some pics of the finished vents so he can give you an estimate. You will find that most welders will get a kick out of it (if they haven't done one before) and may give you a good price just to be able to work on the project.

-Gary

My VIN:    07000

Wanting to destroy your DMC? Here is a good place to start...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The link worked for me but I have Autocad and solidworks. I'm not sure what other programs will open a .dwg file. Thanks for posting!
    Illustrator, and it should work in AutoCAD- also DWG is used by the CNC machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver II View Post
    Years ago when I had parts waterjet cut they were running about $750-$800 a set - this was just for the cutting.

My first set was cheaper since I hand sheared all my vent parts. However, what I saved in cutting costs was offset by the welding costs. I think I paid $500 to have my first set welded up nearly 10 years ago. After that I plucked down a few thousand for my own MIG welder and just did it myself since I could use the welder for stuff other than just Time Machine bits.

Your best bet would be to find a fabricator local who can do TIG welding on aluminum and show him some pics of the finished vents so he can give you an estimate. You will find that most welders will get a kick out of it (if they haven't done one before) and may give you a good price just to be able to work on the project.

-Gary
    Hi, Gary...I got the parts cut...I was wondering if you had any pics of the rear deck part built? I am trying to figure out how it all fits together. Thanks! - Brett

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Has anyone ever had a set made out of stainless? I know it'd be heavier but it certainly be easier to weld. Just curious.

Just wanted to post an update here: it took me a while, but I finally managed to convert this file to a DXF file for those without AutoCAD. It now opens with many free programs such as LibreCAD (which I personally use). Mirrored on my site below. I labeled it "01" just in case more are released, but as of yet this is the only one I believe. Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't really have all the dimensions for everything (I was looking for something in particular that wound up not being on here), but for what it does have, it's very detailed.

http://shep.zone/publicdox/BTTFParts_DXF_01.dxf
    Last edited by Shep; 12-22-2014 at 10:43 AM.

I thought it was going to be somebody handing their keys to VideoBob.

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I thought for sure I was going to see a D being loaded into a Pennsylvania Crusher with a forklift.

Just leave me out of it..

Thanks for making that conversion. Anything that helps others get the info is greatly appreciated.

You are correct. There has only been one version to date of the DWG file posted. Since I've posted it, I've worked with a couple others in the community and we've made a couple of additions and tweaks. There were a few parts missing only because I always fabbed them out in my garage and never wrote them down or put them in the file.

In addition to the new parts, I'm also trying to include some parts ordering and construction info into the file - or I may create a PDF sheet with some of that info. It's really just going to depend on how much time I want to put into all of it before I close up shop after the first of the year.

I also found out there was a scaling problem when I exported from my non-autodesk CAD software. It was exporting at 1" equals 1' instead of a true 1:1. Not that big of a problem if you know your way around cad, but still annoying.

I'm hoping to post an updated version in the next few weeks and will be sure to let everyone know when it's up.

Thanks again for the support and helping everyone out with the DXF Conversion.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Just wanted to post an update here: it took me a while, but I finally managed to convert this file to a DXF file for those without AutoCAD. It now opens with many free programs such as LibreCAD (which I personally use). Mirrored on my site below. I labeled it "01" just in case more are released, but as of yet this is the only one I believe. Do correct me if I'm wrong though!

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't really have all the dimensions for everything (I was looking for something in particular that wound up not being on here), but for what it does have, it's very detailed.

http://shep.zone/publicdox/BTTFParts_DXF_01.dxf

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver II View Post
    Thanks for making that conversion. Anything that helps others get the info is greatly appreciated.

You are correct. There has only been one version to date of the DWG file posted. Since I've posted it, I've worked with a couple others in the community and we've made a couple of additions and tweaks. There were a few parts missing only because I always fabbed them out in my garage and never wrote them down or put them in the file.
    Not a problem! I figured while I was at it, I might as well host it too. I was actually looking for the flux band measurements (front and both rear). I'm not sure if that's the right name for the part, but it's the part that goes right in front of the bumper with perforated aluminum, acting as its own bumper of sorts. I believe those are more or less hand crafted, but wasn't sure on the exact measurements.

If you update the file at all, I can convert it again and hoat the new version alongside the old one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast