FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tesla...Just Like DeLorean

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It's great that Tesla has surpassed the total production volume of the DeLorean, the former volume production recordholder for US-based startup car companies since who know's when. DeLorean will be the #2 record holder in that category for a long time. Yes, the DMC factory was in Ireland. The company was incorporated in the U.S. and sold almost all of its cars here, just like Tesla, Fisker and Bricklin.

Could DMC have done as well as Tesla is doing if they'd somehow attracted 2X the overall investment money they got, which is about the funding level Tesla is at so far after adjusting for inflation? The world will never know.

Let's cheer for an innovative, scrappy automotive startup in a very competitive market. Such outfits don't come along all that often.

We can even do it without admiring their CEO.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

We can even do it without admiring their CEO.
    You'll find a lot of people didn't much care for JZD either.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Quick question, when did Tesla file for bankruptcy? I can't find any record or news article of that happening.
    I may have gotten my facts wrong there. I recall something about them "almost" filing for bankruptcy, or getting a financial loan of some sort. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Fisker. But I thought there was a point in Tesla history that the company was close to losing it all. Like I said, maybe I've got my facts crossed.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by martydmc12 View Post
    I may have gotten my facts wrong there. I recall something about them "almost" filing for bankruptcy, or getting a financial loan of some sort. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Fisker. But I thought there was a point in Tesla history that the company was close to losing it all. Like I said, maybe I've got my facts crossed.
    Could be one of a few things.

Somewhere around 2007 Tesla's fourth or fifth round of private financing called for Elon himself to dig deep for personal funds to match some funding from outside investors. That was when they had a significant layoff to control their burn rate while they were wrestling with the Roadster's significant development delays. And when co-founder Martin Eberhard was canned as President and CEO. If there were hints of bankruptcy at the time they were muted ones. The executive shuffle was the big news.

You mention Fisker. Tesla is often compared with hybrid car-maker Fisker, a company flirting with bankruptcy but somehow not yet there.

Finally, there WAS as electric car manufacturer that recently filed for bankruptcy. That would be Coda, a car company no other company would like to be confused with. They managed to deliver all of 117 cars before they augured in 2 months ago.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ya, Tesla has come close to failing in the past but are much more stable now. As for Elon Musk, there is just something about that type of personality that can rub people the wrong way. As Rich points out, many felt the same way about JZD. Same with Steve Jobs too. I usually don't bother arguing about that. I just try to keep the facts straight about the company first and foremost.

Formally hmm252000

Another Wired video of the factory in action:

Also, another DeLorean similarity has started to appear with the Model S. The B pillar trim is starting to wear out as the driver rubs against it when getting in and out of the car. Sound familiar? Currently Tesla is covering it under warranty and replacing the worn trim panel. It will be interesting to see what their long term solution will be such as replacing the material with one that doesn't wear like DMC did or if they just make a cover like the earlier VINs could retrofit.

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

I am all for Tesla and I applaud their efforts (as of yet fruitless) to try and make less expensive electric cars for the average car buyer.

Jason

Tesla is running in to roadblocks at the state level though. It's simple, yet complicated. Basically there are old laws on the books that say you have to sell all cars through franchised dealers. Tesla wants to sell their cars online without dealerships, which is illegal in VA and NC and the dealerships are trying to block them via lobbying lawmakers. It's all pretty corrupt. I think some states have taken it a step further and prevented purchases.

I love the Tesla though...pretty sweet...and not a bad price(though well above my price range) for what you get.

Formally hmm252000

Currently you can purchase a new Tesla in any US state. Some states, Tesla Motors is not a registered dealer, so you have to go through a few additional steps after purchase to register the car, but otherwise you can purchase them anywhere. NC did try to make it illegal to purchase a new one through any method, but fortunately that bill was killed after the senate.

The dealership laws have to do with protecting the current 100+ year old dealership model. Basically prevents the manufacturers from coming in and undercutting the dealers by selling direct (as the dealer originally has to make a large investment into starting the business, they don't want to start up only to have their partner take them out). Tesla mostly gets around this because they have no existing franchised dealer network.

The good news is the vast majority of people out there support Tesla's desire to sell direct without a franchised dealer network. Even though Tesla has never tried to kill existing laws (simply modifying them to allow them and other new US based EV-only companies), the dealership association is still trying to stop them. My guess is they are worried that if Tesla succeeds and becomes a serious competitor, then the public may push to remove the laws and allow manufacturers to sell direct.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Currently you can purchase a new Tesla in any US state. Some states, Tesla Motors is not a registered dealer, so you have to go through a few additional steps after purchase to register the car, but otherwise you can purchase them anywhere. NC did try to make it illegal to purchase a new one through any method, but fortunately that bill was killed after the senate.

The dealership laws have to do with protecting the current 100+ year old dealership model. Basically prevents the manufacturers from coming in and undercutting the dealers by selling direct (as the dealer originally has to make a large investment into starting the business, they don't want to start up only to have their partner take them out). Tesla mostly gets around this because they have no existing franchised dealer network.

The good news is the vast majority of people out there support Tesla's desire to sell direct without a franchised dealer network. Even though Tesla has never tried to kill existing laws (simply modifying them to allow them and other new US based EV-only companies), the dealership association is still trying to stop them. My guess is they are worried that if Tesla succeeds and becomes a serious competitor, then the public may push to remove the laws and allow manufacturers to sell direct.
    yup...it's been crazy between NC and VA with their anti-tesla nonsense. Virginia is about to have a lawsuit on its hands from Tesla here shortly if they don't fix the problems. Dealerships are in a panic by and saying that Tesla will kill competition. Which is BS. Maybe it's time for the auto-industry to change their business model. Adapt to survive!
    "I decided a couple nights ago that I'm going to own a delorean within 5 years"
    "Dude,have you ever been in one before, they are crappy"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast