FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Air conditioning newby... DIY your pay someone else?

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I am also very interested on that write-up, as I have to do an AC overhaul in the near future.

-- Joe
    No problem, Joe. I'll have it ready here soon. And by no means do I proclaim myself to be an AC wizard. Not in the slightest. Several of the people on this very thread helped me through some issues and all I've done was gather up all the info along the way and put it into one place. It's going to simply be a story of what worked for me and I have some excellent AC now. I'm sure I didn't do some thing(s) right! Fortunately, this isn't an exact science.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I am interested in this thread because I just learned that 4915 needs a new evaporator. Last month I had to have
    a new evaporator in the Jag ... cost $2700.00. Wonder what it'll cost for the D? It's about the same job I think ... Rip out
    the dash to get to it.
    Actually, the dash will stay completely in place. No need to remove it but just about everything underneath the dash will come out and that's where the cost of the job is in terms of labor. I vaguely remember asking the guys at DMC CA about just the labor involved (it's A LOT of hours) with an evaporator replacement and I think it all comes down to personal time involved. Do you have a family at home and you work a 9-5 job five days a week and you want it done so you can drive your car ASAP? It'll probably take you a good while to do it yourself and you might want to pay to have it done. Do you have the time and patience? Then you can totally do it yourself. It's really not that bad. I replaced the evaporator in my car on this go around, in fact I replaced everything but the condenser. It's not hard but it's one of those things that just takes a ton of time, particularly when it's your first time doing it. If I had to do it again (I hope not) it'd take far less time. I took lots of pictures that should help you prepare and let you know ahead of time on what to expect with that project.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    I replaced the evaporator in my car on this go around, in fact I replaced everything but the condenser.
    Me too. I'd estimate the evaporator alone took twelve hours.

12 hours x $80/hour + shop materials, etc. = ka-ching!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Me too. I'd estimate the evaporator alone took twelve hours.

12 hours x $80/hour + shop materials, etc. = ka-ching!
    Seriously! That's a chunk of change. And that hourly rate isn't so bad. Several shops in the LA area are going to be $120/hr and up! Personally, I say invest the time and do it yourself just for the knowledge gain. I actually had a great time learning all about AC. For some reason I found it real interesting.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4159

I bought the pressure test, add Freon, recover combo kit from Harbor Freight today. It is made for a 134A Freon system.

They did not have adapters for it to connect to R12 systems. It looks like the lines will connect to R12 connections if I don't use the included 134A quick connectors.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Banned

My VIN:    1798

There's some really good A/C info/discussion taking place over on DMCToday.com, including reference to Napa R-12 to R-134a service fittings, exploration of hydrocarbon based refrigerants, such as 12a, vs flurocarbon based refrigerants such as R-134a, and even a complete 'how to' video showing evacuation, flush, and vacuuming procedures.

Check it out here:
    http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ull=1#post1451

I just want to know what I need to buy so that this 134a Manifold kit that I have can test and refill my r12 system cars.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by rothsean View Post
    I just want to know what I need to buy so that this 134a Manifold kit that I have can test and refill my r12 system cars.
    If I'm understanding your situation correctly, and I believe I do, then there's one of two way you could do it:

1) Get r-134a to r-12 hoses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-to-R134a...5c9f7a&vxp=mtr

2) Get r-134a service port adapters for your r-12 service ports

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...902_0215039856
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...903_0215039683
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 07-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks, I just ordered that kit with the hoses and adapters.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rothsean View Post
    Depending on the adapters that came with the kit, you might need one that will allow you to feed the can into the gauge set so you can purge them and not have to keep taking the low side on and off to fill.
    Not sure what you have in them or are going back with, but keep in mind different refrigerants require different oils.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    There's some really good A/C info/discussion taking place over on DMCToday.com, including reference to Napa R-12 to R-134a service fittings, exploration of hydrocarbon based refrigerants, such as 12a, vs flurocarbon based refrigerants such as R-134a, and even a complete 'how to' video showing evacuation, flush, and vacuuming procedures.

Check it out here:
    http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ull=1#post1451
    If I'm reading that right, HC-12a, a "drop in" for R-12 (AKA Freon-12 ) & R-134a, information is being confused with FrostyCool 12a (e-Bayer's title says, "FrostyCool R12a"!), which is to be used on "retrofitted CFC-R12" (AKA R-12) & R-134a systems.
    12a also says, "can be used to replace....R-12 substitute refrigerants".

Looks like illegal bombs and snake poots. Apples and oranges anyway. Be careful!!!

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Bits of the legalese here are confusing, but these two parts stand out to me:

"Many states prohibit using flammable refrigerants in motor vehicles, regardless of which original refrigerant was used in the vehicle."

"It is illegal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants like HC-12a® and DURACOOL 12a® as substitutes for CFC-12 in automobile or truck air conditioning under any circumstances."
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast