FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel Pipe Leak

My VIN:    5879

Fuel Pipe Leak

A simple, straightforward job turns into a nightmare. While removing/reinstalling my shift linkage in the DeLorean today (so as to replace the bushings therein), I noticed a fuel line leak. See captions for details.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/10837147...ts/6rdSEMfHvek

tl;dr: looks like one of the fuel lines by the shifter is leaking.

At least I found it while working on the car as opposed to while driving!

My VIN:    03572

Now is it the hight pressure line or the return line? If the high pressure I would think you would see a puddle on the floor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Now is it the hight pressure line or the return line? If the high pressure I would think you would see a puddle on the floor.
    The fuel pump was on for just a second or so -- just primed -- and the result was the wetness that you see in the pictures. Not sure if it's either or both lines right now, but will update when I find out.

Managed to replace both hard lines with properly rated rubber fuel hose without lifting the body off of the frame. The trick: buying a cheap borescope (Harbor Freight). Might have been able to do without it, but I figure it's a neat tool to have.

Further details in the video description.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by gongloo View Post
    The trick: buying a cheap borescope (Harbor Freight). Might have been able to do without it, but I figure it's a neat tool to have.
    Interesting tool. Have sometimes wondered whether any kind of borescope, one with a decent light source, would be a good way to assess conditions the PRV's Valley of Death - without first tearing off the intake manifold.

Anybody have experience in trying that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Interesting tool. Have sometimes wondered whether any kind of borescope, one with a decent light source, would be a good way to assess conditions the PRV's Valley of Death - without first tearing off the intake manifold.

Not yet, but I'll give it a go at some point when I have time. Maneuverability is going to be tough without an articulating borescope ($$$) and without a relatively clear/unidirectional passage, as was the case in the fuel line replacement. Worth a shot, though.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

We have one for exactly that purpose. Unfortunately the results are often the same - lots of leaves, acorns, an mouse leavings.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC