FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: idea: mirror-mounted flashers

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Ah ha, now I get it, Bill! Good thinking.

If memory serves, the heated mirror wires are orange. If anyone has their upper door panels off right now, they can double-check this.

JC Whitney has lots of LED light bars.... hmmmm.....

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    As Bob mentioned, running an additional wire from the car body into the door (for a switched ground) will be challenging.
    Bill Robertson
    Where does the ground in that mirror harness terminate? I recall seeing it in the door, but it's been a while & I don't believe it's shown on any of the schematics either since it's unused at the factory. If that ground runs all the way back into the cabin through the door harness, you would just need to locate it & not have to run a new wire.

EDIT: scratch that a I did just find it on the schematic. Looks like a single wire & grounded through the door/chassis from what I can tell. The wire is a Light Green with White tracer.
    Last edited by jmettee; 07-12-2011 at 06:48 AM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Farrar,

is the idea to mount the LEDs on the mirror glass, thus making the signal visible from the rear/side only, or to mount it to the black mirror housing, making it visible from the front (and possibly side) ?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ydjk58 View Post
    Last year at Lexington Houston had a car with turn signal mirrors. Looked sharp but no word yet on when the kit will be available
    From DCS 10
    36716_561576165212_51104462_32907639_7803538_n.jpg
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Farrar,

is the idea to mount the LEDs on the mirror glass, thus making the signal visible from the rear/side only, or to mount it to the black mirror housing, making it visible from the front (and possibly side) ?
    My idea is the latter; although the "behind the mirror glass" lights are cool, they're only visible from one direction -- plus the DeLorean's mirrors are so small that I wouldn't want to lose visibility to a blinker. It's a matter of personal preference -- if you do this mod you can put them wherever you want.

My original idea was to mount a short LED strip inside a clear plastic lens (or perhaps translucent black, to make it less obvious until the light comes on) on the underside of the mirrors. With LEDs throwing light at a wide enough angle, the light would be seen from in front of and behind the car as well as from the side. My goal was maximum visibility, not maximum coolness.

Farrar
    Last edited by Farrar; 07-12-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: too much blood in my caffeine system

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

To be clear, you shouldn't lose any of the mirror surface, the LEDS mount behind the mirror and shine through it - it depends on the type of silvering used on the glass - some mirrors work, others don't.

I understand that you want something visible from the whole side of the car.

If you want to go huge I'll point you to some larger LED products that you could install behind a smoked plex outer rocker panel!

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    is that the Stage 3 DeLorean?

(off topic: what VIN was the Stage 3?)

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    is that the Stage 3 DeLorean?)
    Yup
    36716_561575756032_51104462_32907606_793284_n.jpg36716_561575706132_51104462_32907605_7545492_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    (off topic: what VIN was the Stage 3?)
    Dont recall.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    My original idea was to mount a short LED strip inside a clear plastic lens (or perhaps translucent black, to make it less obvious until the light comes on) on the underside of the mirrors. With LEDs throwing light at a wide enough angle, the light would be seen from in front of and behind the car as well as from the side. My goal was maximum visibility, not maximum coolness.
    Not a bad idea but sounds tough to do cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Not a bad idea but sounds tough to do cleanly.
    VERY tough. I figure one would eventually end up finding the right size lens cover, then fabricate something out of fiberglass to make it "meld" with the current mirror housing.

Farrar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast