FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Repair Eyebrows with Fascia Attached

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne H&A View Post
    See: www.Deloreanupgradeparts.com for a very easy and simple procedure to install our high steel strength bars. Instructrions included in the box. We have been installing and marketing these bars for twenty years. Byrne
    link no longer works

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by 16949 View Post
    link no longer works
    He retired a month or two ago.
    David Proehl

Darn. Delorean eyebrows are not so fleek.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10270

Home Depot has the bar stock you need and Advance/Autozone will have the urethane adhesive.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    3294

I started this repair last night, and now I'm kind of stumped. I removed the headlights, grill, and the headlight mounts , so basically the front end of the car has a big hole all the way across the fascia. I tried mounting the 2x4 to the fascia with my clamps, but upon tightening the clamps, it made the deformity in the fascia worse - not better. I used my heat gun (on the lowest setting) and shot it from underneath and it helped a little, but just held constant pressure on it with my hand until it cooled down. On a scale of 0-100, I'd say only 10%-15% my "eyebrows" are still visible. I'm hoping the flat stock bar will take care of the rest.

What's the best way to mount these clamps without deforming the fascia worse than it already was?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    6125

I just saw someone on the "Delorean Fanatics" facebook page who posted a series of eyebrow fix photos. I can't get to that page at the moment, but it may be worth searching that out to see his clamping arrangement. From the photos the guy did a great job getting the fascia back to perfectly flat.

EDIT:
    Here's a link to the FB post
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/116227...22152201183032

When I did an eyebrow fix on my car I removed the fascia completely and used a heat gun to straighten everything out to about 95 and then loosely installed the metal bars to check fit. 3M window weld was the adhesive I used to glue in the bars. Once the fascia was back on the car I did a little more manipulating with the heat gun. After a nice warm day parked in the sun everything finally straightened out 100%.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-10-2016 at 05:04 PM.

My VIN:    4519

I've had the fascia off, as well as just the headlights removed. For me, removing the fascia was less of a hassle and easier to do a nicer job.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

What causes eye-browing?

What are the conditions that lead to eye-browing, and how long time would a D have to be exposed to those conditions for the fascia to start buckling?

I am asking b/c I am considering taking my (almost completely) eye-brow free D to an all-day event tomorrow and it's 100 deg and not a cloud in the sky.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    What are the conditions that lead to eye-browing, and how long time would a D have to be exposed to those conditions for the fascia to start buckling?

I am asking b/c I am considering taking my (almost completely) eye-brow free D to an all-day event tomorrow and it's 100 deg and not a cloud in the sky.
    I'm not sure it has ever been proven but everyone has their theories. Things I've heard:

1. Heat from headlights (I don't buy this one)
    2. Fascias were made slightly too large and then pushed together causing rippling (Maybe, but wouldn't we see more than only eyebrows from that kind of stress?).
    3. Frequent heat fluctuations, often times from sitting in the sun for long periods of time - such as being stored outside. This is something I think is most likely. It isn't a blanket rule, but from what I've seen, cars that have spent their lives indoors don't have as bad of eyebrows as those that have been parked outside. A PO of my car had it parked outside, and I had eyebrows.

I wouldn't worry about taking the car out on hot days. Just don't park it for a couple years outside in the sun. If you don't have eyebrows yet, you probably don't need to worry about it. Unless you have a museum car, it has probably seen hot sunny days before and has done just fine.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post

I had small eyebrows, then changed out the headlights last month and now have large eyebrows due to the strain I exerted to get to the top screws. Just saying...

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast