FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rating for both radio inline fuses?

Rating for both radio inline fuses?

What are the ratings for the two inline fuses for the radio? For reference there should be one on the purple wire and one on the green w/white tracer wire.

A little background:

So the PO had someone (looks like the fancy work of car toys) replace the radio and install a new radio, DVD player and screen velcroed to the dash. This has all been removed about two years ago and I installed a new radio, no issues there. Now I finally have the center console out of the car and have unearthed the evil that is inexperienced wiring. Trying to clean everything up a little, I found that the inline fuses are spliced into and bypassed entirely. I want to replace them but couldn't find from anywhere what the Amp ratings are for those fuses. If anyone knows or could even take a peek at their car would be a great deal of help.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I removed the old fuse holders and fuses when I replaced my radio a while back. The new radio has its own fuses. Anyway, looked at the fuses I had sitting around and they say "1 amp continuous Lucas 2A" and "2.5 amps continuous Lucas 5A". Unfortunately, I don't know which one came out of which fuse holder because they are now loose.

One other thing to keep in mind, I guess these Lucas fuses are their own beast, you may not be able to find them at your local automotive store:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)
    "Lucas type fuses are used in old British-made or assembled automobiles. The physical length of this ceramic type of fuse is either 1 inch or 1.25 inch, with conical ends. Glass tube fuses have straight ends. Lucas type fuses usually use the same color-coding for the rated current. Lucas fuses have three ratings; the continuous current they are designed to carry, the instantaneous current at which they will fuse, and the continuous current at which they will also fuse. The figure found on Lucas fuses is the continuous fusing current which is twice the continuous ampere rating that the system should be using; this can be a source of confusion when replacing Lucas fuses with non Lucas fuses. The Lucas 1/4" diameter glass tube fuse have a different physical length as compared to the standard US item. The Lucas 1/4" diameter glass tube fuse is 1 and 5/32" [~29.4mm] long, while the US standard 1/4" glass tube fuse is 1 and 1/4" [~32.0mm] long."

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit971 View Post
    What are the ratings for the two inline fuses for the radio? For reference there should be one on the purple wire and one on the green w/white tracer wire.

A little background:

So the PO had someone (looks like the fancy work of car toys) replace the radio and install a new radio, DVD player and screen velcroed to the dash. This has all been removed about two years ago and I installed a new radio, no issues there. Now I finally have the center console out of the car and have unearthed the evil that is inexperienced wiring. Trying to clean everything up a little, I found that the inline fuses are spliced into and bypassed entirely. I want to replace them but couldn't find from anywhere what the Amp ratings are for those fuses. If anyone knows or could even take a peek at their car would be a great deal of help.
    Did you put back the original Craig? If not, you should leave it bypassed. A modern stereo will overload the stock fuse (which I can't remember the rating of, sorry!) very, very easily. Not to mention a modern head unit will have a micro blade fuse in the back of it that serves the same function, and those inline glass fuses are a PITA to get to and replace when you inevitably pop them.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    I removed the old fuse holders and fuses when I replaced my radio a while back. The new radio has its own fuses. Anyway, looked at the fuses I had sitting around and they say "1 amp continuous Lucas 2A" and "2.5 amps continuous Lucas 5A". Unfortunately, I don't know which one came out of which fuse holder because they are now loose. [/U]"
    Thank you for checking for me. I was gonna replace them with newer fuses anyways. When the PO spliced the new radio in the left the other ends of the original fuse holders attached to the radio and they did not keep the Craig radio .

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Did you put back the original Craig? If not, you should leave it bypassed. A modern stereo will overload the stock fuse (which I can't remember the rating of, sorry!) very, very easily. Not to mention a modern head unit will have a micro blade fuse in the back of it that serves the same function, and those inline glass fuses are a PITA to get to and replace when you inevitably pop them.
    I'm gonna keep the Kenwood in it that I bought 2 years ago. It matches the black interior very well and has a USB port for my ipod. I thought about the original radio for nostalgia but I like my music when I drive. I will remove the other half of the fuse socket and connect the wires directly to the radio connector. Thank you for info.