FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 3 questions about my D

My VIN:    01710

3 questions about my D

Hi I'm just getting to know my D after picking it up this week, and have a couple of questions... Maybe someone can give me some pointers :-)

First, does anybody know what this hose does? Is it supposed to be hanging just like that? Is that the Control preassure regulator? I'm not clear as to its function.
    photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

My second question is:
    There are 2 holes (intakes) right below the rear induction grills. I know the passenger side one is the "real" one used to cool the engine, but on the driver's side, I've just got a hole without the small conduct (see pics). Is there supposed to be a conduct here also? If it is, what is the name of this part? For the life of me, I cannot find it in the service manual or the delorean online store.
    photo 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

And last but not least. My steering wheel has some play in all directions and it seems that all it needs is tightening the center nut (I can see that this is where the play comes from) I just wanted to ask if it's as simple as tightening it or adding another spacer, or if there's something I should know before attempting it.
    photo.jpg

Thanks for your help!
    Mario.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Marigolo View Post
    Hi I'm just getting to know my D after picking it up this week, and have a couple of questions... Maybe someone can give me some pointers :-)

First, does anybody know what this hose does? Is it supposed to be hanging just like that? Is that the Control preassure regulator? I'm not clear as to its function.
    photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

My second question is:
    There are 2 holes (intakes) right below the rear induction grills. I know the passenger side one is the "real" one used to cool the engine, but on the driver's side, I've just got a hole without the small conduct (see pics). Is there supposed to be a conduct here also? If it is, what is the name of this part? For the life of me, I cannot find it in the service manual or the delorean online store.
    photo 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

And last but not least. My steering wheel has some play in all directions and it seems that all it needs is tightening the center nut (I can see that this is where the play comes from) I just wanted to ask if it's as simple as tightening it or adding another spacer, or if there's something I should know before attempting it.
    photo.jpg

Thanks for your help!
    Mario.
    Hose is the vent tube for your CPR.

The missing piece is part of the induction piece.

Check to make sure that your steering column bushing is still there. (located at the base of the column at what would normally be the firewall. This is a more common loose issue than the wheel itself.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    1710

Yes, the first two pics are indeed your Control Pressure Regulator (CPR). That hose is just a vent; many DeLoreans seem to lose those vent hoses through the course of time.

Regarding the second two pics, the driver's side rear quarter panel intake is where the radio antenna retracts to, depending on your VIN (earlier cars had antennas imbedded in their windshields, or front driver's side mounted antennas). More than likely your car has/had the retractable antenna & it probably malfunctioned (VERY common), and that lead to that piece being removed from your rear quarter panel vent. I'm not sure the part name or number. You can always get on the phone with someone like DMC-Texas. They'll be able to help. Just to put your mind at ease, that piece is really just a trim finisher.

Regarding your loose steering, it sounds like you've isolated it to the steering wheel itself being loose? Beware it could also be a worn out steering rack, or perhaps a front suspension issue. Mileage doesn't mean anything with these cars... some pieces age very prematurely on them.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Yes, the first two pics are indeed your Control Pressure Regulator (CPR). That hose is just a vent; many DeLoreans seem to lose those vent hoses through the course of time.

Regarding the second two pics, the driver's side rear quarter panel intake is where the radio antenna retracts to, depending on your VIN (earlier cars had antennas imbedded in their windshields, or front driver's side mounted antennas). More than likely your car has/had the retractable antenna & it probably malfunctioned (VERY common), and that lead to that piece being removed from your rear quarter panel vent. I'm not sure the part name or number. You can always get on the phone with someone like DMC-Texas. They'll be able to help. Just to put your mind at ease, that piece is really just a trim finisher.

Regarding your loose steering, it sounds like you've isolated it to the steering wheel itself being loose? Beware it could also be a worn out steering rack, or perhaps a front suspension issue. Mileage doesn't mean anything with these cars... some pieces age very prematurely on them.
    Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate all your comments!

My VIN:    3937

As others have mentioned, the vent hose is on the CPR. It doesn't appear to show it on the vacuum routing diagram, but here it is in case your car doesn't have the label anymore.

Vacuum_Routing.jpg

For that induction system trim finisher as Louie pointed out, you may get something on the 1-4-0 page to work, possibly number 22 here:

http://store.delorean.com/p-6372-pip...nl-system.aspx

It's from the opposite side of the car, but I don't see that blank/antenna side part listed anywhere either.

+1 on the steering column bushing being more common to fail rather than the nut loose. The nut could still be loose, but many of us with rattling steering columns have found the bushing to be the problem. There are write-ups on here about how to get it installed when you get to that point. There is a cut and stuff method or one that requires you to take things apart to get it on there without slitting it down one side.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    As others have mentioned, the vent hose is on the CPR. It doesn't appear to show it on the vacuum routing diagram, but here it is in case your car doesn't have the label anymore.

Vacuum_Routing.jpg

For that induction system trim finisher as Louie pointed out, you may get something on the 1-4-0 page to work, possibly number 22 here:

http://store.delorean.com/p-6372-pip...nl-system.aspx

It's from the opposite side of the car, but I don't see that blank/antenna side part listed anywhere either.

+1 on the steering column bushing being more common to fail rather than the nut loose. The nut could still be loose, but many of us with rattling steering columns have found the bushing to be the problem. There are write-ups on here about how to get it installed when you get to that point. There is a cut and stuff method or one that requires you to take things apart to get it on there without slitting it down one side.
    You guys
    Thanks!