FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My melted Fan Fail Relay

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

My melted Fan Fail Relay

fan_fail_melted.jpgrelay_receptacle.jpg

Anybody know where I can buy a blue relay receptacle? I see in the D store there is a black one listed (part 100144) or does the color really matter anyway?

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    fan_fail_melted.jpgrelay_receptacle.jpg

Anybody know where I can buy a blue relay receptacle? I see in the D store there is a black one listed (part 100144) or does the color really matter anyway?
    The color doesn't matter. It was just color coated to match the original blue fan fail relay. To be honest, you don't really need the relay socket. You can just splice the appropriate wires together. That's how my car was when I got it. I wonder why you had the melt down in the fist place? Maybe your fans are drawing too much current?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

It was molded blue plastic, and I have some new ones.

Dirty connections build up resistance and generate heat.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    03572

Is that a blue "squeze type splice"? That common wire is carrying 30 amps with OEM fans. All connections and crimps with that current really have to be very good or heat will result.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Yep, 3M Scotchlok, AKA "the problem"...

When you go back, use an uninsulated (or peel it off) crimp type union and solder it. Then shrink wrap...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yep, 3M Scotchlok, AKA "the problem"...

When you go back, use an uninsulated (or peel it off) crimp type union and solder it. Then shrink wrap...
    +1

The open barrel type crimps seem pretty reliable but those insulated crimps I don't trust with high current circuits.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    3937

Hi Steven,

From your photo of the socket as it currently sits, may I ask what is the black wire that looks to be terminated into the upper middle spot on that socket? Is that a ground of some kind?

The reason I ask is because I don't recall my car or others I have seen with a ground wire there. My fan fail fused link is connected to the "left and right" spots and the lower middle if you know what I mean. But there isn't anything in the upper one as there is in your photo.

I don't really know a ton of the electrical stuff, but just wanted to mention it in case you or someone else (Ron, Dave, Martin, Chris?) might think that could also be causing issues.

My fuse and relay area looks like this for comparison (picture is a couple years old, but still looks about the same).

IMG_0360.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5439

Club(s):   (DOI)

Yeah I'm not too keen with all this electrical stuff but this is where that black wire goes.

black_wire.jpg

I just received Dave's fan relay the other day. Dave, what exact sockets do I place the "fused jumpers in the blue fan fail socket"?

My VIN:    16409

Yeah I'm not too keen with all this electrical stuff but this is where that black wire goes.
    That black wire is not original because of the printing on the sheath. All of the original DeLorean Wiring had no printing on it. Also, I would ditch the fused link and go with Dave's fan fail relay as well. You might as well get it since you already have the standard fan relay.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

black_wire.jpg

I just received Dave's fan relay the other day. Dave, what exact sockets do I place the "fused jumpers in the blue fan fail socket"?
    You had the fused jumpers in the correct pins but now you probably need some new pins. At least that one melted one. I ship a jumper with the fan fail for that pin to bypass the circuit breaker. I ship it with the fan fail because it has fuses and sometimes the fan fail jumpers are not fused. I can ship you that jumper but you probably need a new socket.

You should pull that front bank of relays up, get a new socket, put in my jumper (goes to that pin to the fan relay pin). Then the other fan fail pins should be moved to the new socket. Of course you will need my fan fail unit or a new set of jumpers.

I just finished up 10 fan fails but waiting on a lable maker to mark the revision. That lable maker should arrive next week.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast