Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Nick Sutton Blog Linklist

  1. #1
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,467

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Nick Sutton Blog Linklist

    Why Delorean failed
    I was employed by DMC Belfast for just over four years and only one of a handful of employees to have achieved the four year milestone. Starting in December 1978 and finishing January 1983.My job as Purchasing Manager was to procure the parts designed.....Continue reading here

    Just another evening shift at DeLorean
    As though we didn't have enough problems, things were made worse by numerous bomb scares made during the summer months of 1981. These resulted in the entire factory being evacuated and the premises searched to find the device. This involved the search of seventy two acres of land and..... Continue reading here

    The search for the perfect fuel tank
    In early 1979 at the request of John DeLorean, Lotus Cars and the DeLorean team commenced a search for a variety of products that would be specified for the DMC12 to satisfy the car's ethos in being corrosion resistant. One of the first items to be investigated would be..... Continue reading here
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  2. #2
    Senior Member nick sutton's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Belfast

    Posts:    156

    Fuel Crisis - what fuel crisis?

    In late May James Espey Vice President of DeLorean Motor Cars in Texas and curator of The DeLorean Museum asked me to view a collection of documents offered to the Museum by the brother of an ex-employee. The ex-employee was Christopher Bradley, foreman of the experimental work shop in the training building at DMCL. Christopher (Chris) commenced his employment at DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd in the early months of 1979 and was made redundant – as I recall in late 1982. Christopher's work initially related to the first pilot cars and early production cars required for PR, shows, VIPs and general development work. Later he became involved in the RHD cars and the conversion of US specification cars to meet European requirements. His notes and diaries contain significant detail of his activities. His collection is now with The DeLorean Museum in Texas.
    Chris was well known to me and Phyllis (employee No 21) and a popular figure in the factory. Chris previously worked for Bristol Cars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol...y_and_purchase). Regrettably Christopher died ten years ago and it’s only now that his significant compilation of documents has been discovered. Reading his diaries brought back many memories of the major events that took place in the factory and the community. One such event was the visit of the US journalists in March 1980. The journalists’ reports of their visit are documented in DeLorean Gold Portfolio. I can’t be certain but I believe eight journalists made the trip to Dunmurry; they arrived in Belfast on Sunday 15th March 1981.
    Preparations for their visit had been in progress for several months – particularly the cars they were to drive on the public roads in Northern Ireland. According to Christopher Bradley’s diaries five cars were prepared for the visit; VINs 554/5/6/7/8 (in includes one back up vehicle). The cars were prepared in the experimental workshop with Chris leading his crew to ensure all aspects of the car were fit for purpose. He records his time sheets over the previous three days, he worked over 60 hours in four days sometimes working through the night, then resting and commencing work again. After the mechanics of the cars were checked the vehicles were cleaned and made ready for the visitors.
    Christopher’s diaries remind me that we had one problem, and it was a big problem – we had very little or no lead free gasoline on site at Dunmurry. Not enough to fill the tanks of the press cars and certainly nothing for reserve. At that time lead free gas was not available at filling stations either in Northern Ireland or Great Britain – it was only available at car manufacturers in England – Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce and Lotus were the only users. They were at least a day’s travelling distance by road even if a consignment started to travel out on Sunday, which would be unlikely, as there would be no one in the factories to contact over the weekend it would be Tuesday before we could re stock. It was forbidden to carry gasoline by air unless stringent packaging measures were taken and the appropriate Class 3 Dangerous Goods paperwork completed. Miraculously though 4 x 45 gallon drums arrived later that night – divine intervention?
    I was asked to assist in a small way early on the Monday morning – I was told that after I completed my task my instructions were to disappear into the background and stay out of sight. My job was to collect three journalist from a hotel the other side of town. Easy enough today as I know every crack and bump on most roads in Belfast, but then it was a major task. I took a wrong turning and got lost, very lost. Embarrassing for me but the journalists thought it to be very funny. Red faced I arrived 30 minutes late – I had no need to be told to go and hide this was done on auto pilot.
    The journalists took cars around the test track and then on a journey north eventually stopping overnight at Bushmills. Their stories and views of the car are well documented in DeLorean Gold Portfolio.
    One minor co-incidence relating to the Journalist’s visit occurred over the last few days. I was looking through some old documents and came across a purchasing record of the steering wheel specified for the DeLorean. A copy is attached – it shows that a week after the journalists visit we – in purchasing – were asked to immediately add a leather covering to the steering wheel a minor criticism identified by the journalists.
    The Christopher Bradley Collection is a gold mine of information and it’ll take a long time to analyse the detail. I’m delighted that the collection is in the good hands at the DeLorean Museum in Texas.

    Nick SuttonIMG_0301.jpg


    The DeLorean Story: The car, the people the scandal. http://www.amazon.com/The-DeLorean-S...delorean+story

  3. #3
    Senior Member OverlandMan's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rowlett, TX

    Posts:    1,461

    My VIN:    5482

    Great story! Thanks for sharing Nick.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Flekkefjord, Norway

    Posts:    128

    My VIN:    # 00712 (ex-Howard Hughes) # 03692 # 03980 # 05414 # 06759 # 06833 # 06975

    Club(s):  

    Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton View Post
    In late May James Espey Vice President of DeLorean Motor Cars in Texas and curator of The DeLorean Museum asked me to view a collection of documents offered to the Museum by the brother of an ex-employee. The ex-employee was Christopher Bradley, foreman of the experimental work shop in the training building at DMCL. Christopher (Chris) commenced his employment at DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd in the early months of 1979 and was made redundant – as I recall in late 1982. Christopher's work initially related to the first pilot cars and early production cars required for PR, shows, VIPs and general development work. Later he became involved in the RHD cars and the conversion of US specification cars to meet European requirements. His notes and diaries contain significant detail of his activities. His collection is now with The DeLorean Museum in Texas.
    Chris was well known to me and Phyllis (employee No 21) and a popular figure in the factory. Chris previously worked for Bristol Cars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol...y_and_purchase). Regrettably Christopher died ten years ago and it’s only now that his significant compilation of documents has been discovered. Reading his diaries brought back many memories of the major events that took place in the factory and the community. One such event was the visit of the US journalists in March 1980. The journalists’ reports of their visit are documented in DeLorean Gold Portfolio. I can’t be certain but I believe eight journalists made the trip to Dunmurry; they arrived in Belfast on Sunday 15th March 1981.
    Preparations for their visit had been in progress for several months – particularly the cars they were to drive on the public roads in Northern Ireland. According to Christopher Bradley’s diaries five cars were prepared for the visit; VINs 554/5/6/7/8 (in includes one back up vehicle). The cars were prepared in the experimental workshop with Chris leading his crew to ensure all aspects of the car were fit for purpose. He records his time sheets over the previous three days, he worked over 60 hours in four days sometimes working through the night, then resting and commencing work again. After the mechanics of the cars were checked the vehicles were cleaned and made ready for the visitors.
    Christopher’s diaries remind me that we had one problem, and it was a big problem – we had very little or no lead free gasoline on site at Dunmurry. Not enough to fill the tanks of the press cars and certainly nothing for reserve. At that time lead free gas was not available at filling stations either in Northern Ireland or Great Britain – it was only available at car manufacturers in England – Jaguar, TVR, Rolls Royce and Lotus were the only users. They were at least a day’s travelling distance by road even if a consignment started to travel out on Sunday, which would be unlikely, as there would be no one in the factories to contact over the weekend it would be Tuesday before we could re stock. It was forbidden to carry gasoline by air unless stringent packaging measures were taken and the appropriate Class 3 Dangerous Goods paperwork completed. Miraculously though 4 x 45 gallon drums arrived later that night – divine intervention?
    I was asked to assist in a small way early on the Monday morning – I was told that after I completed my task my instructions were to disappear into the background and stay out of sight. My job was to collect three journalist from a hotel the other side of town. Easy enough today as I know every crack and bump on most roads in Belfast, but then it was a major task. I took a wrong turning and got lost, very lost. Embarrassing for me but the journalists thought it to be very funny. Red faced I arrived 30 minutes late – I had no need to be told to go and hide this was done on auto pilot.
    The journalists took cars around the test track and then on a journey north eventually stopping overnight at Bushmills. Their stories and views of the car are well documented in DeLorean Gold Portfolio.
    One minor co-incidence relating to the Journalist’s visit occurred over the last few days. I was looking through some old documents and came across a purchasing record of the steering wheel specified for the DeLorean. A copy is attached – it shows that a week after the journalists visit we – in purchasing – were asked to immediately add a leather covering to the steering wheel a minor criticism identified by the journalists.
    The Christopher Bradley Collection is a gold mine of information and it’ll take a long time to analyse the detail. I’m delighted that the collection is in the good hands at the DeLorean Museum in Texas.

    Nick SuttonIMG_0301.jpg

    For the record: VIN # 556 is located in Norway, owned by Henrik Scott Forsberg

  5. #5
    Senior Member nick sutton's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Belfast

    Posts:    156

    The attached report is the front page summarising the status of all parts required for Job 1 for the DMC 12 which at the time of the report was officially the first week of January 1981. The report was hand written in part number order and contained 42 pages with I recall approx. 30 lines per page. It was updated every two weeks by representatives of Manufacturing, Quality, Material Control and Purchasing present. Martin Graham's team at Dunmurry collated the information. Somewhere I have the other 41 pages . Any questions Attachment 29216let me know.

    Nick


    NPSR.jpg


    The DeLorean Story: The car, the people the scandal. http://www.amazon.com/The-DeLorean-S...delorean+story

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Location:  Sunfield, Michigan, USA

    Posts:    2,444

    My VIN:    1798

    Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton View Post
    The attached report is the front page summarising the status of all parts required for Job 1 for the DMC 12 which at the time of the report was officially the first week of January 1981. The report was hand written in part number order and contained 42 pages with I recall approx. 30 lines per page. It was updated every two weeks by representatives of Manufacturing, Quality, Material Control and Purchasing present. Martin Graham's team at Dunmurry collated the information. Somewhere I have the other 41 pages . Any questions Attachment 29216let me know.

    Nick


    NPSR.jpg
    LOVE this kind of insight!

    Thanks for sharing Nick

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    6,970

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Nick,

    any chance of a bigger copy. I have no idea how Josh can read that but it's just a thumbnail to me
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  8. #8
    Slickness of SS SIMid's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Melbourne, Australia

    Posts:    1,390

    My VIN:    01955

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I have no idea how Josh can read that but it's just a thumbnail to me
    He has super powers.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Location:  Sunfield, Michigan, USA

    Posts:    2,444

    My VIN:    1798

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Nick,

    any chance of a bigger copy. I have no idea how Josh can read that but it's just a thumbnail to me
    That's odd - I clicked on the attachment link in the text as opposed to the image and it worked fine before, but now it says that it's an invalid link and all I'm able to access is the small thumbnail...

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Location:  Sunfield, Michigan, USA

    Posts:    2,444

    My VIN:    1798

    Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    He has super powers.
    OK, on second thought, I like this explanation better - so disregard my previous post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •