FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: painting engine and transmission

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

painting engine and transmission

Instead of putting my grungy looking engine back into my new chassis I might as well paint it and make it look presentable. Right now the timing cover, valve covers, intake, and waterpump (everything that could be removed) are powdercoated but the heads and block as well as the transmission are still dingy looking. I have seen many people paint their engines, just not entirely sure of the products used and the prep that is involved. Hopefully you guys can share you knowledge! If it makes any difference, I am looking to paint the engine and trans a semi-gloss or gloss black (not flat) for easy cleanup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
    Instead of putting my grungy looking engine back into my new chassis I might as well paint it and make it look presentable. Right now the timing cover, valve covers, intake, and waterpump (everything that could be removed) are powdercoated but the heads and block as well as the transmission are still dingy looking. I have seen many people paint their engines, just not entirely sure of the products used and the prep that is involved. Hopefully you guys can share you knowledge! If it makes any difference, I am looking to paint the engine and trans a semi-gloss or gloss black (not flat) for easy cleanup.
    A lot of prep work done right. (which after seeing your progress I'm sure you are able to do) and POR 15 engine enamel top coated with engine enamel high temp.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    A lot of prep work done right. (which after seeing your progress I'm sure you are able to do) and POR 15 engine enamel top coated with engine enamel high temp.
    This is where I am at a loss. Everyone says prep is key and I agree... but how to you properly prep an engine block with all the nooks and crannies? you cant get a wire wheel, brush, or even a scotch brite pad into all the places.
    So I am assuming the por15 engine enamel is not UV resistant such as the other products so it needs a top coat?

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

This is where I am at a loss. Everyone says prep is key and I agree... but how to you properly prep an engine block with all the nooks and crannies? you cant get a wire wheel, brush, or even a scotch brite pad into all the places.
    So I am assuming the por15 engine enamel is not UV resistant such as the other products so it needs a top coat?
    Buy a mini hand held sand blaster and prep the service with that. Lots of masking and sealing but it is worth it. For the price of the 3.0 head gasket kit I would pull the heads and send them out. I have never fired a used 3.0 out of the box with any success and done plenty.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

How much UV light do you think gets on an engine block?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Buy a mini hand held sand blaster and prep the service with that. Lots of masking and sealing but it is worth it. For the price of the 3.0 head gasket kit I would pull the heads and send them out. I have never fired a used 3.0 out of the box with any success and done plenty.
    A sandblaster is one thing, but a decent compressor is another. Both things I do not have. As for top end work I will get the engine running and go from there. I dont want to deal with any internals ATM, but if it is an issue I can cross that bridge when I get there. Not exactly a proactive approach, but I will give you a call when I need head gaskets!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Spent a little time reading into it, I think I will just do the plain old por 15 3 step process with some semi glass black por 15 and call it a day. So to answer your question, <= zero UV light haha
    Last edited by Josh; 08-07-2013 at 06:46 PM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A sandblaster is one thing, but a decent compressor is another. Both things I do not have. As for top end work I will get the engine running and go from there. I dont want to deal with any internals ATM, but if it is an issue I can cross that bridge when I get there. Not exactly a proactive approach, but I will give you a call when I need head gaskets!

Spent a little time reading into it, I think I will just do the plain old por 15 3 step process with some semi glass black por 15 and call it a day. So to answer your question, <= zero UV light haha
    One way is to just spray it down with Gunk or oven cleaner and rinse. It will clean and brighten it up. You are correct, it is a LOT of work to try to prep it well with all of the cavities. All depends on how much work you want to do and what you want it to look like when you are done. In any case seal the motor up well so you don't get any dirt inside while trying to pretty it up.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    One way is to just spray it down with Gunk or oven cleaner and rinse. It will clean and brighten it up. You are correct, it is a LOT of work to try to prep it well with all of the cavities. All depends on how much work you want to do and what you want it to look like when you are done. In any case seal the motor up well so you don't get any dirt inside while trying to pretty it up.
    David Teitelbaum
    Everything has been degreased and pressure washed. I am still debating on what is the best method to use... I have never used Por15 and a little more research has shown people painting their valleys and it turning to a mushy mess went coolant hits it. I know brake fluid will do similar. Also the prep involves rinsing with water in between the metal ready and marine clean. My engine is not fully sealed up yet (valve covers, timing cover, intake) as I dont want to get overspray or chemicals on these powder coated parts. So im thinking of prepping with a heavy scuff pad, wiping everything down with thinner, and shooting on some engine primer and enamel. Not looking for a perfect finish but something that gives a consistent color to the engine.

I have heard oven cleaner is not good to use on aluminum? I have used it to clean aluminum parts before, it works great. I just thought it causes corrosion?
    Last edited by Josh; 08-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Jason

Everything has been degreased and pressure washed. I am still debating on what is the best method to use... I have never used Por15 and a little more research has shown people painting their valleys and it turning to a mushy mess went coolant hits it. I know brake fluid will do similar. Also the prep involves rinsing with water in between the metal ready and marine clean. My engine is not fully sealed up yet (valve covers, timing cover, intake) as I dont want to get overspray or chemicals on these powder coated parts. So im thinking of prepping with a heavy scuff pad, wiping everything down with thinner, and shooting on some engine primer and enamel. Not looking for a perfect finish but something that gives a consistent color to the engine.

I have heard oven cleaner is not good to use on aluminum? I have used it to clean aluminum parts before, it works great. I just thought it causes corrosion?
    Knowing what oven cleaner does to aluminum if its left on there, I would never clean an aluminum auto part with it.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

That was my thought... I'm sure a hot exhaust can put off some IR, but so long as the car is right side up I'm not too worried about UV...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast