FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overheating Fuel Pump?

My VIN:    4158

Overheating Fuel Pump?

I drove my D about 30 miles had lunch then started back. It was about 95F outside. Then on the highway it had trouble as if it was running out of gas but you would stomp the pedal and it would be fine. Got into town, and it would barely go the it died. Hauled it home on a wrecker. It sat for a day then for fun I started it up and took it for a short spin. Everything was fine.

I have Hervey's fuel pump, new filter, and accumulator. My question is can the heat pump just over heat not work?
    Last edited by Ron; 08-08-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: fixed title
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What's a heat pump?

Sometimes the OEM-style pickup hose will pull shut when very hot, but most of Hervey's fuel pump setups don't bother with one.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Forgive me. left out the word "fuel" and was thinking heat. And you're right it doesn't have a pick up hose.
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Do you have a heat dam installed to keep the heat from the tank?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Josh I did not install one......don't think the PO put one in.
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

I would say your fuel is getting too hot. Some say it isn't possible but it happens.

Ok so where can I find a heat dam?
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

John Boy is the only seller I know of.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago but at the time I was running an OEM fuel pump setup with pickup tube. Same thing as you described, but I'm confident my pickup line was shutting down. After I let it sit for 20 minutes, everything was fine. I have Hervey's dam set up in front but I'm not exactly sure that's the cure, or the cause of the problem. I'm near positive that it's fuel being pre-heated at the hot engine and then being sent back via the return line and dumped back into the tank and heating everything up in there.

I was driving for about 2 hours, some of it uphill on a steep grade (Interstate 5's Grapevine, for anyone who knows) with an ambient of at least 100 degrees and an engine temp consistently 210-220 and AC on Max at 4. Everything was fine until I got off the freeway and cut down on my airflow keeping things as cool as can be. That's when my fuel system wasn't interested in doing that anymore. I picked up the new DMCH pump/sender combo and I'm not anticipating anymore problems. When I got my old baffle system out of my car, I noticed that my pickup line wasn't original to the car but I'm sure it still overheated and flexed. It looked to be in way too good condition to be original.

If you don't have a pickup line, I'm not sure why your car would do what it did.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago but at the time I was running an OEM fuel pump setup with pickup tube. Same thing as you described, but I'm confident my pickup line was shutting down. After I let it sit for 20 minutes, everything was fine. I have Hervey's dam set up in front but I'm not exactly sure that's the cure, or the cause of the problem. I'm near positive that it's fuel being pre-heated at the hot engine and then being sent back via the return line and dumped back into the tank and heating everything up in there.

I was driving for about 2 hours, some of it uphill on a steep grade (Interstate 5's Grapevine, for anyone who knows) with an ambient of at least 100 degrees and an engine temp consistently 210-220 and AC on Max at 4. Everything was fine until I got off the freeway and cut down on my airflow keeping things as cool as can be. That's when my fuel system wasn't interested in doing that anymore. I picked up the new DMCH pump/sender combo and I'm not anticipating anymore problems. When I got my old baffle system out of my car, I noticed that my pickup line wasn't original to the car but I'm sure it still overheated and flexed. It looked to be in way too good condition to be original.

If you don't have a pickup line, I'm not sure why your car would do what it did.
    The pumps heat up and the cars electrical system doesn't have enough juice to push any harder and the system shuts down via the car stalling out and the rpm relay loosing the tach signal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast