FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo VR6 DeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Turbo VR6 DeLorean

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ed and I was an owner a few years ago before I sold my car. I am going to start posting again to document the VR6 engine swap I will be doing to Jeremiah's 81 automatic; I had to keep my promise that I would do something special for his car one day. Now that I do not travel as much for work I have been working on peoples cars. You may ask why a VR6, the answer is it's a very compact and strong 6 cylinder engine that loves boost. It's similar in strength to the 2JZ supra engine I put in my car a few years back. It also sounds like no other!! We're only shooting for 250hp at the wheels so it'll have no problems with that.

The engine we picked is out of a 2001 VW Passat with about 65K miles on it. I'm pulling the head off and cleaning it up and pulling a head gasket to lower the compression a little and put some head studs in just for the added protection. I'm in the middle of developing an adapter plate for the DeLorean that should work for the auto or manual transmission, the trick will be setting up the clutch and flywheel for a manual car.

Here are a few shots of the engine as I was pulling it apart:

This is the first test plate I had cut just to see how things will need to come together.

Here is a shot of my 2005 350z VR6 swap I'm also doing. I'm shooting for about 700hp at the wheels with this one.

Full thread is here:
    http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...6-in-350z.html

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Welcome back Ed!!

So are you switching Jeremiah's car to a manual (I hope!).

No, we're keeping it Automatic and adding a large oil cooler to keep it happy. We may look into having the transmission upgraded later on down the road and turn up the boost and see what she does.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Very cool project! I'm excreted to follow this one! It's sweet that you're going to work with the automatic. It should be nice just having to make a custom flex plate instead of doing a custom clutch/flywheel setup like on the 2jz car. I notice the starter is on the wrong side. It's a pain having to chop up the bell housing to get the starter in there. Course I know you're no stranger to extensive bellhousing modifications, haha. I remember spending quite a bit of time under the 2jz car taking measurements just as a reference. Did you do that welding?

By the way, do you remember the company that you got the custom CV boots from? Is it the same company that made the larger diameter double splined shafts? Also are you still down here in Florida? I'm in Orlando now permanently. I don't know if you remember but I came and checked out the 2JZ car for Cliff back in 2011 before you sold it. I'd love to come check out the build sometime if you're free! Anyway, it's cool to see you back on the forum!
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-10-2013 at 10:41 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Awesome! I was considering this swap as well. Cool to see it actually get done!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\ Freaky Beetle's Avatar

My VIN:    2812

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have been hoping someone would do this swap for years now. Best of luck! Can't wait to see the progress.
    Jai Johnston1981 DMC-12 : 2812 : Black Interior : Automatic
    2012 Beetle Turbo
    1998 Widebody New Beetle
    1968 Beetle (Under Restoration)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I'm excreted to follow this one!
    Sounds sticky.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5628

Here is the vid of the supra motor swap

Sounds great. Darn fast I'm sure.

http://cf.cdn.vid.ly/k5k0u9/mp4.mp4

My VIN:    3299

I was wondering when Eddie was going to come make the announcement. I have been chomping at the bit wanting to tell, but since he's doing all the work, I wanted him to have the honor of sounding the alarm.

I plan on sending my car to him around October - before the ice and snow makes its way to Dayton. It was funny how this all came about. He called me about 1 month ago while 2 other owners and myself were at a car show, and we mentioned doing this for real. At the time, we were going to simply EFI the car and place a turbo on it. After a couple days, Eddie and I got to talking, and I put it to him his way: "It would be a waste of your time and talent to simply throw a turbo on a 30 yr old engine that may not even be able to handle it." He and I quickly started talking about other options, and here we are with the VR6 swap kicking into gear.

Some have asked me why the VR6 - simply put - I have owned my car 10 years this Nov 11th, and I have put it off as long as possible - to be frank - I hate the K-Jet system. You just look at it wrong and "BOOM" it goes. I'm tired of continually diagnosing crap on a 32 year old engine. I'm done with it. It ends this year. The other main thing - more power. I'm tired of not being able to "pick up and go" when I want. I'm tired of people saying things like "Can that thing even get to 88 mph?" While I don't want to be a dragster at red lights, I do want some "oomf!" at a moment's notice.

Eddie's work is simply second to none - his attention to detail and methodical work is pristine. There is no one else I would trust with this level of work (in terms of a VR6 swap), and I know the finished product will be worth waiting for. Some may ask why I didn't do this myself. Well, sometimes you just have to recognize your limits and capabilities. And while I know I am capable of many great things, this is something that my skillsets aren't ready for yet. Simple as that.

So the big question everyone has: when will it be done. Eddie and I don't want to narrow it down too much - as unforseen setbacks inevitably occur with projects like this. Best way to say it: you make it to DCS 2014, this car should be there.

We will absolutely keep everyone up to date with this project as time goes along. Enjoy the show!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Very cool project! I'm excreted to follow this one! It's sweet that you're going to work with the automatic. It should be nice just having to make a custom flex plate instead of doing a custom clutch/flywheel setup like on the 2jz car. I notice the starter is on the wrong side. It's a pain having to chop up the bell housing to get the starter in there. Course I know you're no stranger to extensive bellhousing modifications, haha. I remember spending quite a bit of time under the 2jz car taking measurements just as a reference. Did you do that welding?

By the way, do you remember the company that you got the custom CV boots from? Is it the same company that made the larger diameter double splined shafts? Also are you still down here in Florida? I'm in Orlando now permanently. I don't know if you remember but I came and checked out the 2JZ car for Cliff back in 2011 before you sold it. I'd love to come check out the build sometime if you're free! Anyway, it's cool to see you back on the forum!
    The way this starter will be set I hopefully won't need to cut up the bell housing. I got the axles from "The driveshaft shop", talk to Frank and he'll remember the car. Sure I remember you, PM me and I'll give you my contact info. I still live in the same house to you can come on over anytime.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast