FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo VR6 DeLorean

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

In that case you should have no problem. You just need a compressor that works with your belt/accessory configuration. You'll also want to get some of the aerosol AC line flush to be sure everything is clear. (Might also consider a new accumulator and orifice tube). Then just hook it up and balance it. There should be a spec out there for the amount required; or you could charge based on pressure (though that's not as reliable).

My VIN:    07000

Thanks Nick

Any 0-60 or 1/4 miles times? I realize this swap wasn't intended to be all about the performance, but I am interested to know how much it did improve it.

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by PJK View Post
    Any 0-60 or 1/4 miles times? I realize this swap wasn't intended to be all about the performance, but I am interested to know how much it did improve it.
    The car has just been finished and is undergoing final tuning/minimal cosmetic touch-ups right now. We are working on getting it on a dyno within the next two weeks so there's some kind of "verification" as to why this project was done.

Don't get me wrong - part of this was definitely geared towards performance. Claims have it that an automatic DeLorean has like - 95HP - at the wheels. That's just horrible. I chose Eddie to do this project for several reasons:

1. When kept in tune with proper precautions, the automatic trans is stronger than wet toilet paper.
    2. To give the DeLorean the speed it looks like it has.
    3. To finally do away with KJet and install a more modern fuel system.
    4. To break free of applications used from the 1970s (mainly brakes and fuel system)
    5. To be able to spring-board to other projects down the road (for example, mate the VR6 with a Porsche transmission if it comes to it)
    6. To be able to get people off my quarter panels in traffic
    7. To give Eddie some strong networking opportunities with this car rolling out as one of his inaugural projects from SEO Motorsports.
    8. And finally, to be able to just get in the car, shut the door, turn the key, and cruise.

There are other minimal reasons, but that is my input from my side. I am sure Eddie has his own reasons.

There will come a time that I take this car to a drag strip and open it up. With my car, it is a product of Eddie's shop, and I know everyone's itching to know those kinds of stats.

So..... I am considering an idea at DCS 2014. I think what would be really cool is if we could get some non-stock DeLoreans all together and go here:

http://www.kilkare.com/

And we could light some tires against each other or some other cars that think all we brought are "slow as hell" DeLoreans.

Would make for an interesting night.....!!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    So..... I am considering an idea at DCS 2014. I think what would be really cool is if we could get some non-stock DeLoreans all together and go here:

http://www.kilkare.com/

And we could light some tires against each other or some other cars that think all we brought are "slow as hell" DeLoreans.

Would make for an interesting night.....!!
    Already setup and planned.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ne-12-5pm-10pm

Would you like to join us?

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Already setup and planned.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...ne-12-5pm-10pm

Would you like to join us?
    I was thinking a lil' later in the weekend. That time is the prime time that everyone is showing up for DCS, and I'd like that to be more of a "laid back and relax" kind of night.

Don't get me wrong - very cool that you've taken the initiative to plan that out, and if Eddie comes earlier than Thursday, he and I may come out there. Then again.... Thursday may be way more low-key at the drag strip, so Eddie and I may push to come on out there....

We'll see as the time gets closer!

And I meant no disrespect with the "slow as hell" comment. That was just me speaking what nearly anyone would say at a cruise-in.

Just because I got this new setup doesn't mean I am trying to talk down to stock owners or anything - just throwing that out there.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    I was thinking a lil' later in the weekend. That time is the prime time that everyone is showing up for DCS, and I'd like that to be more of a "laid back and relax" kind of night.

Don't get me wrong - very cool that you've taken the initiative to plan that out, and if Eddie comes earlier than Thursday, he and I may come out there. Then again.... Thursday may be way more low-key at the drag strip, so Eddie and I may push to come on out there....

We'll see as the time gets closer!

And I meant no disrespect with the "slow as hell" comment. That was just me speaking what nearly anyone would say at a cruise-in.

Just because I got this new setup doesn't mean I am trying to talk down to stock owners or anything - just throwing that out there.
    Yeah right - turbo VR6 that he hasn't even driven yet and he's already talkin smack about stock/OEM cars! The nerve of this guy!

J/K - I know you were just playing.

Believe me, I would have preferred the outing to be a little later in the weekend as well, however, that Thursday is the only time that they have open racing according to their posted schedule. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have planned structured events:

June 13th- Friday Night Lightz- Gates Open 6:00PM-11:00PM

June 14th & 15th - Outlaw weekend - Xtreme Outlaw Series & 1,000' Box & No Box Gates open at 10:00AM
    Spectators $10, Seniors 65 & Up, Military, Police, Fire Half Price, 12 & under FREE

The Friday Night Lightz program is a structured by class elimination trophy/cash racing w/ entry fees. Outlaw Weekend is a sponsored series which isn't open to non-invited racers. That leaves Thursday as the only opportunity for fun, laid back, screw around grudge racing.

So, I hope that we see you out there - I'd love to see what the VR6 turbo can put down the 1/4 mile.

FYI - depending upon what your car is capable of, you may need to a bring a helmet if your car runs 14 seconds or faster (and it will be subjected to a more thorough tech/safety inspection than the rest of us).
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 05-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Viva la K-jet!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Banned

You should have Eddie install a line-loc so that you can build boost at the start line before launching without having to do a neutral drop on the transmission (which I personally wouldn't do).
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 05-06-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

So, I hope that we see you out there - I'd love to see what the VR6 turbo can put down the 1/4 mile.

FYI - depending upon what your car is capable of, you may need to a bring a helmet if your car runs 14 seconds or faster (and it will be subjected to a more thorough tech/safety inspection than the rest of us).
    We'll see. I dunno what it can do yet. The dyno is more what I am concerned about, but Eddie is working on that, and we may have one ready when I go pick the car up soon. I'll keep everyone in the loop on that one.

Maybe on Thursday night, we'll show up a bit later in the evening. I dunno yet - we'll see .
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast