FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo VR6 DeLorean

Banned

My VIN:    1798

While a turbocharged VR6 DeLorean does sound pretty SWEET, seeing this thread got me thinking - I wonder if you could adapt the parallel supercharger/turbocharger combo of the VW 1.4L TSI engine onto the VR6, as a twincharged DeLorean would be something really SPECTACULAR

Of course, even better would be a dual twincharged system - 2 superchargers, 2 turbochargers

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/powe...#axzz2dCEawjVd

My VIN:    3299

Lightbulb Forgive my preaching post here.

Eddie and I have been talking about his upcoming shop for a good bit. While I do not want to take away from his thunder or spotlight, I do want to say this: this is NOT a "DeLorean only" shop he is looking at opening up. This is going to be a "performance/upgrade" shop of other marques which so happens to include the DeLorean.

I'll let him finish off the details - as this is his baby - I just wanted to make sure that was understood. Eddie, if I was wrong about anything above, please feel free to correct any misinformation.

I am just going to get behind a podium for a second. Some here remember Eddie from the x < year 2011 days when we were at DMCTalk.com. In 2005, he came to this forum with some ground-breaking ideas, and at first, the community rejected him. Then he produced some incredible results with multiple engine swaps on the same DeLorean (his own). Finally, he made the 2JZ DeLorean happen, and his name went everywhere on the net - Toyota Supra forums, Magazine forums, DIY engine swap forums, Youtube, etc.

I truly mean this without being an arrogant ass about it: if you can afford it and don't mind waiting, get Eddie on your car for EFI/performance upgrades. We have had one or two forum members fortunate enough to have had their cars majorly overhauled (read: engine swap) by him, and he is worth it. The 2JZ DeLorean is an absolutely pristine example of his work. I have known him for 10 years, and he is a man of integrity - both of his shop work and moral character.

Let's face it - if we want a fast DeLorean, the PRV really needs to go. It is the aircraft carrier boat anchor of the sports car world. When taken care of, it is incredibly reliable and dependable, but it is just too dang slow.

My bottom line regarding my car: we are nearly tripling the HP at the wheels. The automatic can handle what we give it, but you know how things end when one starts "getting too greedy." I won't deny, I pushed Eddie for 300 HP at the wheels, and he assured and convinced me: "250 HP in this car = more than you'll know what to do with."

While I may not be able to "break the chains" with everything to do with DeLoreans, I can tell you three things:

1. My DeLorean will be fast and capable of being made faster down the road with the upcoming VR6 Turbo setup.
    2. I'll never be paying $150 for a thermotime switch.
    3. KJet + Idle horrors = poof.

Oh, and I will be selling my entire PRV engine soon. It will come with everything: my entire KJet setup, alternator, water pump, starter - everything that bolts onto that PRV will pretty much be coming with it. I'll start a thread for it in the For Sale: Parts Section soon.
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 08-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Let's face it - if we want a fast DeLorean, the PRV really needs to go. It is the aircraft carrier boat anchor of the sports car world. When taken care of, it is incredibly reliable and dependable, but it is just too dang slow.
    Venturi pushed over 400+ bhp out of the Douvrin PRV, as is John Lane with his rally car. Thus, it's possible to build a monster out of the PRV - like anything else, it just takes time, dedication, and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Venturi pushed over 400+ bhp out of the Douvrin PRV, as is John Lane with his rally car. Thus, it's possible to build a monster out of the PRV - like anything else, it just takes time, dedication, and resources.
    Three Points:

1. You go right ahead with that 30 year old engine :P.

2. You're right.

3. Most of us do not possess such capabilities - like me; therefore, we write checks :P.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    5092

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    While producing power out of any engine is possible (including the PRV) I don't believe a 400HP PRV would be easy, cheap or street drivable....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NSC_DMC View Post
    While producing power out of any engine is possible (including the PRV) I don't believe a 400HP PRV would be easy, cheap or street drivable....
    The Venturi 400GT was street drivable.

For the record, I truly hope I do not come across as haughty, arrogant, or holier than thou with regards to what Eddie is doing to my car.

I know how blessed and fortunate I am to both have the connections and financial means to afford such a project.

I just want my car to be a testament to his work and a preview of what he could do for others who may be potentially interested.

Anyways, just wanted to be clear about that.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Banned

For the record, I truly hope I do not come across as haughty, arrogant, or holier than thou with regards to what Eddie is doing to my car.

I know how blessed and fortunate I am to both have the connections and financial means to afford such a project.

I just want my car to be a testament to his work and a preview of what he could do for others who may be potentially interested.

Anyways, just wanted to be clear about that.
    You're fine

Looking forward to seeing the finished results of the engine swap at DCS

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Three Points:

1. You go right ahead with that 30 year old engine :P.

2. You're right.

3. Most of us do not possess such capabilities - like me; therefore, we write checks :P.
    The VR6 is about a 25 year old engine... You were cautious about your post but you seemed very sure about the prv being a poor engine performance wise. There were many derivatives of the prv, you have experienced one of them. For this reason I found your comments ignorant. Also its not like the 12V VR6 is making boatloads of power more than the PRV stock for stock. However the F/I aftermarket is huge for it so turboing and tuning the VR6 is definitely not the road less traveled and there is a lot of potential.

Educate yourself with the European applications of the PRV. Lots of cars making decent numbers from this so called "boat anchor". FYI its an aluminum block so it would make a terrible anchor anyway.

To the OP sorry for muddying your thread with these comments, you are doing great work. Keep it up!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The VR6 is about a 25 year old engine...
    Not the one we pulled.

PM sent regarding everything else.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast