FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DMCH fuel pump/sender combo won't quite fit into tank opening

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Arms and tank openings have there own "diameter".
    Indeed the tank opening may differ slightly as I found in my previous and current D.
    The new SS three legged boot bracket (Hervey's) that I installed in the previous D slipped in without any force.
    I had to use a hammer to make the same bracket fit the current D.
    For some reason I didn't think of a rubber mallet or a block of wood and a hammer, but I am worried about breaking the plastic body of the pump. The fact that I was flexing the tank instead of pushing the pump in when I was nearly standing on it implies that a hammer might not help, although the shock of a hammer is different from the constant force of standing on it.

BTW: If your arm's diameter (near the shoulder) is a bit oversized compared to that of the tank opening, you could try and borrow someone else's arm (perhaps a woman's arm?).
    Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a recluse, and my wife has nerve damage in her arms and won't be able to help, so it's pretty much just me. I'm pretty sure the tank is adequately clean, though. Or at least I'm willing to risk it.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yes, at least for a short time. It should not be hart to seat the rubber against the upper lip, but it may take slight pressure. You should not have to beat on it.
    Thanks -- that gives me a good idea of how much to sand to widen the opening. It feels like it's just a bit too tight, and that there's enough of a lip on the tank that I can sand it wider without compromising it.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by virtualchuck View Post
    I had a similar issue with the tank and/or the pump sender I installed a couple of weeks ago. Work the springs a few times times before you try to install it
    I did play with the springs fair bit, first because I thought it was an interesting design, and then when I was fighting to get the just-a-bit-too-small hose clamps on the hose over the snap-on barb fittings on the pump before I realized that I could unclip the fittings. They seem to operate pretty smoothly, and work fine when I removed it from the tank. I think this is more of an issue of the size of the opening vs. the size of the part of the pump that sits in the opening on my particular car. I'll measure on Tuesday morning before I try sanding it a bit wider.

and I also found that it will only sit properly if you wiggle it around a little and even have it at a slight angle (towards the driver's side) while clamping it (It felt like there was a slight hump in the fuel tank?).
    That's interesting. There is the stud that the old baffle was mounted on; I had been wondering if that would get in the way. Perhaps that's the hump you were noticing? I had been considering cutting it off with a Dremel, but I wasn't sure if it was actually in the way or not, and no one else seemed to mention anything about it...

Thanks!

-- Joe

Club(s):   (GCD)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I did play with the springs fair bit, first because I thought it was an interesting design, and then when I was fighting to get the just-a-bit-too-small hose clamps on the hose over the snap-on barb fittings on the pump before I realized that I could unclip the fittings. They seem to operate pretty smoothly, and work fine when I removed it from the tank. I think this is more of an issue of the size of the opening vs. the size of the part of the pump that sits in the opening on my particular car. I'll measure on Tuesday morning before I try sanding it a bit wider.

That's interesting. There is the stud that the old baffle was mounted on; I had been wondering if that would get in the way. Perhaps that's the hump you were noticing? I had been considering cutting it off with a Dremel, but I wasn't sure if it was actually in the way or not, and no one else seemed to mention anything about it...

Thanks!

-- Joe

The stud should be offset so that the pump will clear it, and I wouldn't cut it unless you determine that you absolutely have to. I wonder if the stud might be in a different location being such an early vin?

Good question. I have a picture of the tank and the stud location, but this was not taken from directly above.

IMG_0961.jpg

It looks like it's reasonably off-center. Since there was no mention of it in the docs, I assumed it wouldn't be an issue. I'd rather not cut it off if I don't have to.

-- Joe

If it will help, Version 2 of the fuel pump/sender install with all of the corrections made:
    http://youtu.be/W2vaigaomog

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If you orient the pump as shown in the instructions the stud is not in the way. If you try to put it in facing a different direction, it would hit the stud. You'd also find that the hoses would hit the cover, or the float would hit the side of the tank, so it really only goes in one way.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3757

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    If it will help, Version 2 of the fuel pump/sender install with all of the corrections made:
    Great job on the video, it should help a lot of people.

Craig

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Great job on the video, it should help a lot of people.

Craig
    +1. I wish I saw that before I did mine. Nice work!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    Thanks for the video Josh. While we're on the topic, can anyone tell me where the ground that is attached to this harness goes?

Chuck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast