FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Thread: My Delorean VIN 3305 - coming to Italy!!

My VIN:    3305

Suspension overhaul 1

Here I am! I finally managed to do a great suspensions overhaul to my car VIN 3305! It was a hard work, but satisfactory in the end! It still needs adjustments, but now the car feels surely better!

It took three days to fully disassemble the old suspension system. We were not in a hurry, so probably you can do it in two days. Luckily wi did not find major troubles and everything went well at the first shot.

Removing springs was the most difficult part of it, and the longest one. We used a spring compressor, and it had to be put in the right place otherwise it would have hit the underbody or other parts of the car. Anyway we quickly learned by trials and errors where to chocke the spring.

Another hard task was removing one trailing arm bolt. The first one went out easy, but the second one was a pain! We spent 1 hour just to try to lube it, then we used a hammer, and it was like frozen! In the end I came up with the idea of sawing it with an hacksaw, and there I was 20 minutes up and down with the saw cutting the TAB. What a nightmare! The two bolts were slightly bent.

We even took the chance to remove the steering rack and to take a look at it. The tie rod ends were replaced about 1 and a half year ago, so no problems there.

pics!

P1030848 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030817 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030821 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030824 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030828 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030832 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030839 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030844 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    P1030850 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030852 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030853 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030858 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030863 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030871 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030873 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030881 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    P1030896 (FILEminimizer).JPGP1030899 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    Last edited by JohnZ; 08-12-2015 at 05:12 AM.

Suspension overhaul 2

After having had some stuff sandblasted and painted, we got back to the car to finish the job! It was pretty straightforward, even though we found some issues (seized threads and so on). This is what I installed on my car:

-new Protech shocks, single adjustment on the front, twin adjustment on the rear
    -new lowered front springs
    -new reinforced LCAs with new bushing and ball joint
    -new stainless LCA reinforcements
    -new rubber/poly bushings all over the place
    -new DPNW front shock tower brace (I already did that some times ago)
    -new TABs
    -new UK steering joint and knuckle

The car now sits better, runs better and generally speaking it has been improved.

A couple of things still bother me anyway. The first is that I feel the front end much more firm, even too firm. So I think I'm going to set the shocks softer on the front and harder on the back. This should reduce understeering, is it correct?

The second thing is that the steering has become BLOODY HEAVY! It's a pain to just turn the wheel even without the wheels on the car! Before installing new LCAs we noticed that the new ball joints were really tight and almost static, very firm... they were not easy to turn. Could it be that this feature has somemething to do with the firmness of the steering wheel? It's just impossible to drive that way... the wheel doesn't even go back in place after a turn, I have to manually set it straight! I did the wheel alignment of course, but it didn't helped.

pics!

P1030927 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030905 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030906 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030913 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030918 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030921 (FILEminimizer).JPGP1030922 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030938 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030942 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030944 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030948 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030950 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030952 (FILEminimizer).jpgP1030957 (FILEminimizer).jpgSAM_0341.jpgSAM_0352.jpg

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

You've done a great job, thank you for sharing your pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    You've done a great job, thank you for sharing your pictures
    Thanks!

The steering IS actually getting loose, at super minimum rate. I want to grease up the new LCAs ball joints to see what happens....

amazing work!
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    814

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    -new UK steering joint and knuckle
    Make sure this is free, lubed and installed correctly (ie. phased)

As per

Cardan_Shaft.jpg

I would be tempted to jack the front up, turn the steering wheel and check for resistance. (Sorry, I see you already have)

Still stiff?

Then disconnect the track rod ends (steering knuckles).

Still stiff?

No? --> problem is outwith the steering shaft, rack and TRE's
    Yes? --> Problem is in the rack or shaft, or the TREs

Then slip the lower UJ off the rack. Still stiff?

No? --> Problem is within the rack (or TREs)
    Yes? --> Problem is within the shaft (ie the UJs, bushing, resistance at the wheel?) etc

A process of elimination should help. I think it may not be wise just to let it "free off" through use. Up to you of course...

Good luck

a

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28