FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: VIN 5609 The story of a remanufactured DeLorean

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

VIN 5609 The story of a remanufactured DeLorean and an OCD owner

5609 was doomed. There was to be no restoration. The well known Ken Koncelik had acquired 5609 in hopes of restoring her like so many before her, but after seeing the extent of the decay, he decided to part it out. Many in the community chastised him for doing so, even though he had restored several DeLoreans in the past, that didn't matter. Die-hards were up in arms and made their feelings known. But the truth was the truth, there was no hope for 5609, and she would be soon lost.
    Here she is circa 2003 during the parting out "death"

After the carnage, and all the good parts were scattered across the globe, 5609(what was left of her) began her sunset years. She was to share the same fate like so many before her, to slowly rot away and become lost on a thicket of bushes and weeds....but this was 2003, and a new program was in the works 1,500 miles away. This second chance spawned by DeLorean of Humble was to rebuild, restore, replace, or refinish every single part of the DMC-12. The new venture would take a donar car in any condition and replace every single panel, interior trim, electrical part, nut, bolt, hose, clamp, rubber weatherstrip...whatever it took to make a DeLorean everything it could and should be. The remanufacturing process would include brand new 0 mile NOS engine and transmission, a frame stripped of the epoxy coating and powdercoated in the original factory color, the underbody would have all cracks or damage repaired before being refinished in factory satin black. The flaky shift computer would be replaced with a modern solid state unit, as would be the door lock module, and several other parts that were problematic in the 80's would be replaced with modern day reliable remanufactured replacements. This was to be an ultimate restoration program, and people would pay for it...almost double what a nice condition used DeLorean would sell for. This would be the salvation 5609 needed, and DMCH needed candidates. Around 2005, 5609 was sold to DMCH. There wasn't much left, but that didn't matter. All DMCH really needs is a set of vin plates and a clean title...they can provide the rest, and for the most part that's exactly what happened.

In late 2005, a remanufactured DeLorean was to be commissioned. This car would have all the stops pulled out. It would have the Stage II engine package, Alpine/Genesis sound package which included the Alpine head unit, CD Changer under the bonnet, speakers, and a JL Audio 8" sub behind the driver. To drive all this would be the Genesis Profile 5 amplifier. These components all tuck away out of sight. The amplifier although large, was very thin which allowed it to be placed behind the parcel shelf. Only a small fan opening is visible.

Also desired was the Eibach spring and performance shock package which gives the car the proper aggressive stance. Headlights were upgraded to xenon boosted halogen Cibie headlamps. Machined finished wheels, 140 mph speedometer, and a fitted cover rounded out the optional accessories. This guy knew what he wanted...everything. James Espy described the soon to be owner as a demanding PITA who often sent an employee to check in on the status of his dream machine. Here are a few photos of the car being brought back to life:

On May 1, 2006, 5609 was finished and on May 9, the new owner took possession of his DeLorean. In the months that followed, he fell onto hard times, and 5609 was put up for sale after logging only 1,700 miles on her. It did not sell until he shipped it with 3 other cars from his collection to a car broker friend of his in Boca Raton Florida, who promptly put it up on ebay.

Enter me. I had been searching off and on for a few years, never too serious at times, and at other times ready to drive home in the first thing I saw. Around December 2008, I got very serious and decided to double my efforts. After lurking for months, I joined DMCTalk.com and began PMing members and pestering the crap out of everyone with a DeLorean for sale. I already drove a 300 mile round trip to drive one car, and was looking hard at a second when I saw 5609 on ebay. Wow! A remanufactured DeLorean maxed out with a Stage II and only 1,700 miles on it? Is this real? After several phone calls, we negotiated a price and I bought it right over the phone. I would send a deposit to him and pay the balance in person. I took a chance, but he had 100% feedback, and I still had the cashier's check and the option of backing out if I didn't like what I saw.

Several members assured me that I would not buy it for what I was going to offer and I was just dreaming. After receiving my deposit check that I overnighted to him, he ended the auction and I made plans to fly down and drive it home pending the inspection. To be honest, I am still surprised I got it, (in other words, I stole it). I think the reason I lucked out like it did was the economy was in trouble. The 07 housing bubble was still hurting a lot of people(and still is), and on the day I picked up my car, the Dow was around 7,500....panic was in the air, the car market was soft, and this was the right time and place for me to be if I was ever going to make this move.

Part II coming soon.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-21-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9