FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Schaub's delorean regeneration day number 2 - spetember?

My VIN:    11280

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

food?

I'll do hamburgers again with the fixings but will have a few bratwurst for the coming of the Oktoberfest season upon us!

My VIN:    05457

Sounds great, looking forward to it!
    David Proehl

Looks like the forum is back up!.

Thanks to David and Ryan for coming out and hanging out. We actually got quite a lot done! Others were missed but that's the way it goes sometimes.

After I replaced wires and hoses and installed a new headlight switch and mode switch rubber the consul is complete once again. We also put the interior of the passenger door together even though it's pretty clear I'll be taking doors apart again to install new window motors and such later on. But for now it's good to be 'complete'.

We also got in the new ground cables and inspected up the fuse box a bit. Systems are running pretty good.

I'll be getting the cat replaced by the shop done the street so they can smog it right away. Hopefully the car will be street legal in a short while then I can start with the 'fun' fixes to the car.

Something I'm sure we would all like to experience one day is how to replace the windshield 'correctly' and not have snagging doors. SO I would like to have that be a tech day in the future.

Thanks again!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by Hand-Schaub View Post
    Looks like the forum is back up!.

Thanks to David and Ryan for coming out and hanging out. We actually got quite a lot done! Others were missed but that's the way it goes sometimes.

After I replaced wires and hoses and installed a new headlight switch and mode switch rubber the consul is complete once again. We also put the interior of the passenger door together even though it's pretty clear I'll be taking doors apart again to install new window motors and such later on. But for now it's good to be 'complete'.

We also got in the new ground cables and inspected up the fuse box a bit. Systems are running pretty good.

I'll be getting the cat replaced by the shop done the street so they can smog it right away. Hopefully the car will be street legal in a short while then I can start with the 'fun' fixes to the car.

Something I'm sure we would all like to experience one day is how to replace the windshield 'correctly' and not have snagging doors. SO I would like to have that be a tech day in the future.

Thanks again!
    Brian - really glad to hear you guys got some stuff done! I was really sad to miss it but my inevitable yearly cold got me early this go-round.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Official!

Yay - I have tags for my DeLorean!! It's smoged and running pretty good and the DMV was somewhat prompt in getting my tags here. Tomorrow I switch my insurance from storage to driver and take a "legal" ride. Yes, I've been taking it for runs just to keep everything moving ut now I'll go for a real ride. Sucky weekend to do it though...

So - next thing I would like to do is re-install the windshield and actually jack up the "T" area in the roof so perhaps the doors will line up better.

My VIN:    1768

Hooray! when are you thinking to do the windshield?

kind of whenever. It could be a one day thing. The windshield was replaced before I bought the car so I think the improper installation already caused some issues. My 2nd replacement probably added to the issue of the passenger door rubbing the top.
    I think I'll order off for a full weather strip replacement first so all that is in good after the fix.

So... I wrote this pretty long message about what I did today on 11280... then it disappeared and I couldn't get it back. It pretty much echoed how the day went! So long story short... window motor is in on passenger side... but window jumps off the rails. Me... pissed off and feeling pretty lame and incompetent.

pity party!

I don't think I'm cut out for car restoration/fixing....

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Hand-Schaub View Post
    I don't think I'm cut out for car restoration/fixing....
    If you can build a screen accurate proton pack, you'll be able to handle putting in a window motor. The doors are a difficult place to work. It helps a lot to have a second guy either hold the door or help guide the window while the regulator is going in. I've helped with 2 window motor installs and they aren't simple, but very doable with two people. Not sure how I'd approach it solo though I know its been done.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    If you can build a screen accurate proton pack, you'll be able to handle putting in a window motor. The doors are a difficult place to work. It helps a lot to have a second guy either hold the door or help guide the window while the regulator is going in. I've helped with 2 window motor installs and they aren't simple, but very doable with two people. Not sure how I'd approach it solo though I know its been done.
    Well - the proton packs don't need to "work" I took out the seat so I could close the door and work. The motor is in and screwed down but the window is jumping off the track and if you ever had that happen you know it's a big pain in the ass. I'm just not sure if something is bent or out of line from my doing...

And anybody who wants to do the rest of the restoration on my car... I'll build them a proton pack. That's a serious offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast