FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do DeLoreans get stolen?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The only reason to steal one would be to part it out, and can you imagine the crapstorm awaiting someone who steals one and then starts ebaying off the parts, or trying to sell them to a vendor? This happens with other cars all the time, but nobody notices another Honda Accord being parted on eBay.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

We had one stolen in the UK this year: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/vie...2&hilit=stolen and dumped but damaged in the process.

Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. Less interest in why they are seldom stolen, just curious about whether or how often they ARE stolen.

Update after just a few posts today:

Regarding thefts of a DeLorean:
    a. One second-hand report of a D stolen in Sweden recently.
    b.

Regarding known but unsuccessful attempts to steal a DeLorean:
    a.

Refreshing the question:
    Surely a few have been heisted over the years.

Any stories to share? Preferring first-hand accounts; that is, was YOUR DeLorean ever stolen or was an attempt made to steal it? I mean the whole car, not bits and pieces of it...

Also, no need to suggest anti-theft measures (Lo-Jak, The Club, alarms, etc.) that apply to any car.
    I know what you are getting at and I tried to do the same thing on the subject of failed TABs. The results were about the same. 1 maybe 2 cases known or assumed to have caused it, but very little actual documented cases of cars that had TABs suddenly fail and wind up with the car upside down flattened beside the road.

My guess would be that if a thief knew enough to target a DeLorean, he wouldn't for the reasons above. If it were stolen, it would be the local joy ride type that are just out for fun and maybe they just leave it ditched beside the road at some point. I doubt either happen very often, partly because most D owners I know don't leave them in places where theft is likely.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4159

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've never heard of a DeLorean theft.

Surely a few have been heisted over the years.

Any stories to share? Preferring first-hand accounts; that is, was YOUR DeLorean ever stolen or was an attempt made to steal it? I mean the whole car, not bits and pieces of it...

Also, no need to suggest anti-theft measures (Lo-Jak, The Club, alarms, etc.) that apply to any car.

I'm not finding any such "stolen D" thread titles in this forum.

Well, one time there was this guy named Biff. He was old and he stole the DeLorean and went back to 1955 to tell himself about a sports almanac. He was caught eventually and was stuck buffing cars well into retirement.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

In the 5 years I've been here I only recall the one in Sweden last year and the one in the UK this year.

I read that there was on in the NW (Seattle maybe) that was heisted off the street. Recovered and the owner put a Stage II in it. I think the member is on here, but don't recall the name.

The 4th one was Chad/Lord Vadus who thought there was an attempt to take his. A few years back.

No first hand account though, sorry (but thankful also).
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I recall a story about a stolen D a couple of years back on the DML. If memory serves me correct, it was in the Seattle area? The car was gone for a few days, but was eventually located in a parking structure. Only some minor damage was done; the seats were ripped (or knifed), and I think they took the radio.

I once spoke with an owner who had his DMC grill emblem stolen.

I'm still waiting for the day when some idiot(s) do steal a D and tries to strip it down, especially the stainless steel panels. Anyone who's ever dealt with those panels knows that they can be extremely sharp around the inside edges. If they're dumb enough to steal one and start stripping it, they're more than likely dumb enough to cut themselves quite badly on the stainless.

The only way I can ever see one getting stolen and never found, is that it most likely would end up in Saudi Arabia or somewhere like that, as this is usually the case with exotic and classic cars. Anything else is probably teenagers just looking for a joyride, or like I said, some idiot carjacker that doesn't know what he's getting into (a rookie mistake).

Best protection; keep it locked, put a club on it, disconnect the battery when not in use (or a battery disconnect switch). The more deterrents you have on the car, the less likely it will get stolen; and that goes for any type of automobile.
    Last edited by martydmc12; 08-25-2013 at 02:56 AM.

My VIN:    1710

I was at a car show in Raleigh 10+ years ago (I can't remember if it was my DeLorean, or if I was with Darren Decker), but there was a rather skeezy looking guy holding his young daughter and telling her about how he'd once stolen a DeLorean in Miami and taken it for an afternoon joyride.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I was at a car show in Raleigh 10+ years ago (I can't remember if it was my DeLorean, or if I was with Darren Decker), but there was a rather skeezy looking guy holding his young daughter and telling her about how he'd once stolen a DeLorean in Miami and taken it for an afternoon joyride.
    WTF!?! Another parent setting a good example for his kid(s), regardless of there being truth to his comment or not.
    Jeff

My VIN:    6514

Club(s):   (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Best theft deterrent, IMO, is getting a battery disconnect switch. Switch it off and you're all set. Since the majority of folks know little to nothing about the car, its a safe bet no one outside the community knows about the location of the battery.
    In the years I have been an owner and have been to countless shows....maybe 2 people have noticed, and asked, where the battery was.
    Some one looking for just a joy/thrill ride for a few hours would be unable to start the car.

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by topcop66 View Post
    Best theft deterrent, IMO, is getting a battery disconnect switch. Switch it off and you're all set. Since the majority of folks know little to nothing about the car, its a safe bet no one outside the community knows about the location of the battery.
    In the years I have been an owner and have been to countless shows....maybe 2 people have noticed, and asked, where the battery was.
    Some one looking for just a joy/thrill ride for a few hours would be unable to start the car.
    Only downside to that is you can't engage your alarm system.... :/
    So its either, A. Turn on your alarm and hope you hear it if it goes off or B. Battery Shut off
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast