FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean For Sale - Freemont,MI - 05754

My VIN:    6125

DeLorean For Sale - Freemont,MI - 05754

Does anybody have any additional info on this car for sale or is familiar with the VIN, IE records of previous ebay sales, etc.?

VIN: SCEDT26T9BD005754

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=352344077

A local guy I know who's looking to buy a DeLorean forwared me the link and was looking for some feedback on the car. I told him first and foremost to get frame pictures and that he'd need new tires before attempting to drive it on the freeway back to WI. (Still has original NCT's) Also, as the ad explains the windshield is cracked and it probably needs new brake rotors/pads. Other than that the ad claims the car runs and drives fine and the interior looks original and is in good shape.

I also noticed the coolant bottle is original. Any other obvious things I should mention to this potential buyer? I'm going to send him here to the board to read some of the sticky threads for first time buyers.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Does anybody have any additional info on this car for sale or is familiar with the VIN, IE records of previous ebay sales, etc.?

VIN: SCEDT26T9BD005754

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=352344077

A local guy I know who's looking to buy a DeLorean forwared me the link and was looking for some feedback on the car. I told him first and foremost to get frame pictures and that he'd need new tires before attempting to drive it on the freeway back to WI. (Still has original NCT's) Also, as the ad explains the windshield is cracked and it probably needs new brake rotors/pads. Other than that the ad claims the car runs and drives fine and the interior looks original and is in good shape.

I also noticed the coolant bottle is original. Any other obvious things I should mention to this potential buyer? I'm going to send him here to the board to read some of the sticky threads for first time buyers.
    Agree with need for frame pics. Pics from underneath with the car on a lift would be great. I circled 3 things I noticed in the engine bay aside from the original coolant bottle. The red circle --> what is that? After-market fuel filter? Blue circle --> appears to be a replacement coolant hose. Yellow circle --> hacked wiring and an inline fuse.

Capture.jpg

You also need pics of the relay and fuse area behind the passenger seat to see if it's been hacked into any further.

There may be some other stuff that I'm not seeing. All in all, if the frame is solid, it's a decent price point for a running/driving car that needs some work.

I would recommend rebuilding the entire brake system (pads, caliper pistons & seals, flexible hoses, master cylinder, check of the rotors, flush old fluid completely out and replace with new). That's an easy $500+ and a full day of work.
    Last edited by OverlandMan; 08-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Jeff

Banned

My VIN:    1798

I'm not too far away from this car. If your friend is serious, I'd be willing to take a ride in my D to check it out for him, get some detailed pics / videos of the car running, and take it on a test drive to offer my personal assessment.

Let me know.

Banned

A/C would appear to have R134A conversion fittings on it.

Personally, I don't get why everyone freaks out about the stock/OEM coolant header bottle. I'm still running the stock/OEM one. If it cracks and starts to leak, I'll replace it with one of DMCH's replica units from DMC-Midwest - not quite the huge deal that everyone makes it out to be, IMHO.

Banned

Only 3 QAC entries on the DeLoreanPOGs.com website:

Dec 15, 1981 1 106128 Outer Wipe Seal RH 5754
    Dec 16, 1981 1 110478 Carpet Parking Brake Cover (Grey) 5754
    Dec 16, 1981 1 106347 A/T Quadrant 5754

My VIN:    6125

That's some great feedback so far guys, thanks! My friends name is Matt and I've encouraged him to take a look at this thread and read through some more of the technical threads here on the forum. I think he's been signed up here for a while but doesn't post much.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Personally, I don't get why everyone freaks out about the stock/OEM coolant header bottle. I'm still running the stock/OEM one. If it cracks and starts to leak, I'll replace it with one of DMCH's replica units from DMC-Midwest - not quite the huge deal that everyone makes it out to be, IMHO.
    I think Dennis (DMC5180) needs to post his photo of a stock/OEM plastic coolant bottle with the huge melted hole in it, made from really hot coolant return.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    I think Dennis (DMC5180) needs to post his photo of a stock/OEM plastic coolant bottle with the huge melted hole in it, made from really hot coolant return.
    Sounds like Dennis had other problems if his coolant return was hot enough to melt right through the thermoplastic housing.

Why would Houston be reproducing a plastic bottle if only a metal one suffices due to ordinary coolant temperatures?
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 08-26-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Over the years I've seen a few split down the seam that runs down the center of the bottle. It's a known weakness.

Bruce Benson

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Sounds like Dennis had other problems if his coolant return was hot enough to melt right through the thermoplastic housing.

Why would Houston be reproducing a plastic bottle if only a metal one suffices due to ordinary coolant temperatures?
    Going OT a little here, but the OEM bottle had material weakness. Plastic isn't inherently unsuitable for this application, though metal is definitely better. Just the specific plastic used in the OEM bottle.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast