FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ulster Transport Museum Cars

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "50,000 mile car?"
    Quick Answer: This was one of the cars used for the (early) 50K Mile Endurance Testing.

Most of the details can be found in the Unique DeLoreans section of the PJ Grady UK website:

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericCon..._Delorean.html

Most of the details provided by Dave Howarth from the UK DMC Owners Club.

what is a 50,000 mile car

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "50,000 mile car?"
    Read the book!

Nick

The DeLorean Story: The car, the people the scandal. http://www.amazon.com/The-DeLorean-S...delorean+story

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton View Post
    Read the book!

Nick
    Haha, already did!! The section in your book with this 50,000 mile car in it I must have gotten distr

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    It's in a sorry state... lots of bits missing!
    It wasn't a production car so it didn't need all little bits installed and didn't have them to begin with. All things considered, it's actually been preserved rather well.

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    It wasn't a production car so it didn't need all little bits installed and didn't have them to begin with. All things considered, it's actually been preserved rather well.

Ahh, that's true enough.
    I've heard from several people in the past that the car was never cordoned off until recently, leading to kids etc. climbing into it and fiddling with it, I wouldn't have been surprised if some "souvenirs" had been taken over the years!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

I thought I imagined it when recalling it not being closed off on one of my previous trips...but I didnt clamber into the car out of respect.

It was mentioned on the DOC UK that the other test car was crashed and ended up on its roof. However I read on another DeLorean forum (DMChelp perhaps??) that the other car crashed into a tree...cant find the thread I read it on

More pics of the test car...

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNI View Post

"RIA 7123" is Pilot 24 ( D24 ) and I read somewhere that it was indeed crashed into a tree at some point, but was repaired. So what happened to it afterwards?

More pictures here : http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericCon...Test_Cars.html
    Last edited by Andy; 09-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Andy

Slowly we are building up a bit of a picture of the 50k cars.

Is the gas flap missing from the test car? Or are my eyes playing tricks?

Looking at the photos makes me think how surreal it must have been in Northern Ireland at the time...inbetween the malestorm of violence, something positive was happening.

Seeing a DeLorean on the local roads must have been something else, and created quite the stir.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNI View Post
    Seeing a DeLorean on the local roads must have been something else, and created quite the stir.
    Nick Sutton has some great stories about the early "challenges" of driving DeLoreans in Northern Ireland.

As some of the younger crowd may not be aware, something as "simple" as getting Unleaded Petrol for driving the DeLorean
    was actually something that had to be planned carefully, to make sure you did not run out of fuel where you were not able to
    re-fuel the car. This is when you would want a very accurate fuel gauge and a couple of spare cans of fuel while driving 24/7.

I remember one story told by Nick about trying to get all the "test cars" properly filled up the day before all the car magazine
    writers arrived to do the initial test drives and articles about the DeLorean. That was one extremely hectic time at the factory.

The Ulster Transport Museum Cars

Hi Rich, I recall reading Nick's story about unleaded fuel fiasco which worked out in the end, a very different world to the one we all live in today.

I can remember when unleaded fuel was phased into the petrol stations of Northern Ireland and we had the option of Four Star (leaded) and Unleaded Petrol, it must have confused the rioters at the time...Here Jimmy, what burns better four star or unleaded???

You wouldnt have got a scene like this in 1980 in Belfast or the surrounding areas. (Picture came from the Delorean Eurotec forum)

Last edited by DMCNI; 09-04-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast