FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DeLorean Value - Greatly Overstated

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    It was a joke. It's just the idea that OP tries to sell his car and can't so he then blames the entire community and the vendors for his lack of buyer interest is absurd to me. He thinks he is entitled to a certain price because of what improvements he made to it. That's not how the market works. This thread has listed several things he could do differently to get interest (a better eBay ad, better pictures, removing that ridiculous URL decal in the window). But instead of recognizing those things as ways to be better at selling his car, he goes straight to blaming the entire community.

I was just trying to subtly point out that of course you are losing money on a DeLorean sale. Everyone does. That's why flipping DeLoreans is not quite a recommended investment strategy.
    Ahh, well the OP is being ridiculous, and he's been in the community long enough to know it. His car is a hot mess in so many ways- it's filthy inside, out, and underneath. The whole vehicle looks very tired, used, and worn out. It's not VIN correct in any way- and yes, that actually matters to buyers. Some of the "upgrades" to the car come across as band-aid afterthoughts, too. The OP is simply trying to bully people into paying an absurd price for his car- not a winning tactic.

Generally the only DeLoreans that change hands for more than $25k or so are through the vendors. That's because buyers feel they have a certain peace of mind buying the car through a vendor- be that a correct assumption or not. Second hand New Build/Remanufactured cars aren't changing hands for more than $25k or so either if they aren't sold by a vendor. The reality is, if you're an owner trying to sell your car, there is a ceiling for what buyers are willing to pay. If you don't like it, lower the price of your car to match it's actual value, or pull it off the market.
    Louie Golden

Jason

Just a little different perspective from a non-owner here. If I were going to buy a delorean, or any classic/older car for that matter, I'd be looking for something I can improve upon and add my own personal touches. If I can get a $20k - $25k car that has a few minor issues but is relatively original and in good working order, I'd probably purchase it over the $30k car that's had a bit of tinkering, even if its beneficial in the PO's eyes. When you get an older car, it's just something you expect. Its like people trying to sell their old chevelle's that they've done a complete restore and overhaul on for $40k or more. They have automatically decreased their market because most people who want to own/purchase a classic car, aren't getting it because they want a perfect car out the gate. They are getting it because they want something to make their own. True, some people do buy them, but those are the people with plenty of money to throw at a car on the spot and don't care about putting the work in or their own personal touches, the just want own one. Throw in the fact that the general public doesn't know much about deloreans or the maintenance required and you have a reason for the car not to sell.

not sure if any of that makes sense...but that's just how I see it.
    "I decided a couple nights ago that I'm going to own a delorean within 5 years"
    "Dude,have you ever been in one before, they are crappy"

Quote Originally Posted by silverhair01 View Post
    Just a little different perspective from a non-owner here. If I were going to buy a delorean, or any classic/older car for that matter, I'd be looking for something I can improve upon and add my own personal touches. If I can get a $20k - $25k car that has a few minor issues but is relatively original and in good working order, I'd probably purchase it over the $30k car that's had a bit of tinkering, even if its beneficial in the PO's eyes. When you get an older car, it's just something you expect. Its like people trying to sell their old chevelle's that they've done a complete restore and overhaul on for $40k or more. They have automatically decreased their market because most people who want to own/purchase a classic car, aren't getting it because they want a perfect car out the gate. They are getting it because they want something to make their own. True, some people do buy them, but those are the people with plenty of money to throw at a car on the spot and don't care about putting the work in or their own personal touches, the just want own one. Throw in the fact that the general public doesn't know much about deloreans or the maintenance required and you have a reason for the car not to sell.

not sure if any of that makes sense...but that's just how I see it.
    Yeah, but there's old cars... Old 80s cars.... And then there's DeLoreans. They're really in a class by themselves.
    1-800-273-8255

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Most people wind up selling their DeLorean because they don't want to work on them anymore and one of the more common complaints from new owners is that they expect the car to run, drive, and require the same level of maintenance as a modern car.

My VIN:    03254

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I think the Last thing I'd worry about is how a DeLorean dates...
    I'm old enough to remember when some cars had white side wall tires.

I think a D looks Good with RWL tires.

George
    It's simply a matter of taste but the exterior of the Delorean except for the square 4 headlamps is a pretty timeless style and shape. Gull wings like scissor doors are always in style ;-). In my opinion, two personal taste additions really date a Delorean, RWL and the Wide stripe. They both scream 80's which except for the Delorean and a few others was an awful decade for automotive style.

Back on topic, the new pictures are much better Dracula but its always tough to sell a Delorean, we had an owner who sold a two owner car YESTERDAY at auction that has not had any PO molestation because he needed the cash and didn't want to deal with ebay or craigs list. He listed it here and the DML but got no bites. It brought in only $13K but was possibly worth closer to $15-18K. But as someone else said... nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay.

Dan
    Vin's 3254 and 4770

My VIN:    3757

Well, making a Delorean reliable and run great, where you trust it to drive places takes money... We all know that. You CAN buy one for $15,000 that runs... but it will normally need a lot of work to be a great car... Vendors can get $50,000 + for cars, and they STILL have problems. This car has had a lot of money spent on it, and Mid-West DMC has done most of the work... To the tune of $40,000 OVER the price of the car... I am sure it is a dependable car you can drive anywhere.

I feel pretty lucky that my car was one of Don's last re-births before he left DMC CA. I got mine almost totaly re-done, and it did cost a lot, but I think I got a great deal. The car runs great, I did stage 1 exhaust, so it sounds great, and my favorite thing is the Wings Aloft Doors, push the button, and the door opens, it makes the car more fun.

So, $30,000 for his car is not crazy...I spent more, But I did get a great car.

Craig

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    ---But as someone else said... nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay.
    ....at a given moment in time and in a certain location.

One of the best deals I ever saw done was a guy who bought a super nice, low mile, running and driving car, very low price, but the car was in the middle of Oklahoma (or Nebraska, I don't recall for sure) with a poorly written eBay ad, and absolutely nobody would look at it. At the time I thought he probably paid $10,000 under market value for it once I saw the car.

OTOH we've seen quite a few overpriced, overdescribed cars sell to overenthusiastic / under-researched buyers.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    6125

My friend just bought this car this weekend for substantially less than the asking price. I'll leave it up to him to fill you guys in on the details but he paid less than 10k.

For a running, driving, reasonably well maintained car I thought he got a killer deal. There seem to be some good DeLoreans changing hands lately at low prices.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?80...l=1#post118302

My VIN:    Custodian of 5307

Just sold mine advice

Speaking as a former owner who just recently sold his DeLorean..

DMC has showrooms and overhead to meet imo hence the high prices realize that if you google cars for sell the Dealers usually pop up first

the fact that you can buy from a "Dealer" adds some comfort to a potential buyer and hence the premium price paid its , heck I bought mine nonrunning from the Dealer instead of a private

yes I saw cars sold at the local Dealer for more than mine with alot less into it and I thought about consignment with a dealer

never never never think that the money put in equals the money out .........I definately put alot more in the car than what I sold it for

It did take a year to sell it at the price that I wanted, although I really only advertised here on the forum and occasionally on Craigs List

By the way did I mention that the economy is BAD? ALL "collectible" cars are taking a severe beating in this economy
    1988 3.2 Ferrari Mondial

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5