FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Value - Greatly Overstated

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    For those who tout accuracy and originality; have you ever seen a DMC refurbished car? They're ALL '82/'83s. They all get flat hoods and later components. Originally a gas flap car? Flat hood! I've also never been impressed by the build quality of them, either. My car has had all of its work performed by DMC Midwest and was refurbished by them.

I also understand the warranty thing, but that's debatable. If you have the choice of a car at $45,000 with a warranty and few upgrades or one for $30,000 with nearly every upgrade possible and no warranty, there's still $15,000 left over from buying the cheaper car that you can use to address any issues that MIGHT surface, especially since if you wanted to have the Stage II work performed to one of the cars they sell, you'd still have to pay the extra $16,000.

Though, that's MY car. If it serves as any form of an indicator, then the amount of work and servicing that you perform or have performed won't effect the amount that you can sell the car for at the end of the day.

Maybe I should sell my car as a DMCMW Refurbished car, instead. After all, I do have the little plaque that they put on the car when they performed the Stage II work...
    IIRC you removed all the "desirable" features your car originally had. You preferred the fender mounted antenna, and you replaced the GF hood with the flat one (with lines?). Do you still have these items, and on request will you restore your car to its stock configuration? Still, my other point still stands, the general public (because that'll be the dude buying the car) will have a better feeling dealing with a DMC franchise than you. And they'll pay extra for that feeling, be it misplaced or not.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    3937

I can see how the DeLorean community could value many of the things you've listed in terms of originality. Mostly that is because once you're already here, you're educated on it. What I see out and about is that people generally aren't educated on much in life and definitely not something as specific as DeLoreans. If we see so much being babbled on about with nuclear waste dumps (in my area anyway), clean energy, climate change, vaccinations, or any other of a pile of different subjects discussed daily, the theme is that people generally know very little about these subjects. Whether you go buy a new plasma TV or a certain style of brake pads for your car, most people have no clue on a wide range of things they do or buy everyday. It definitely wouldn't surprise me to see that your average new owner of a DeLorean really has no idea what they are buying or getting into either. I would have put myself in that camp when I bought my car, that's for sure. So to me, uneducated buyer = more comfort buying from recognized name = buyer goes with DMCX and not Joe on eBay.

EDIT: Contradicted/confused myself... as an uneducated buyer, I should have said they wouldn't see value in certain features or originality, as opposed to equating it to buying DMCX versus eBay. An uneducated buyer may still buy from eBay, but the price may need to be lower to justify not being a known name, and adding originality or special features probably won't register. Or something like that... lol.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 08-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    IIRC you removed all the "desirable" features your car originally had. You preferred the fender mounted antenna, and you replaced the GF hood with the flat one (with lines?). Do you still have these items, and on request will you restore your car to its stock configuration? Still, my other point still stands, the general public (because that'll be the dude buying the car) will have a better feeling dealing with a DMC franchise than you. And they'll pay extra for that feeling, be it misplaced or not.
    No, I didn't. The gas flap hood is INCLUDED with the car for sale as an option instead of the grooved hood. I never found anyone actually willing to swap fenders, so I don't have one on the fender.

The interior was gone when I got my car, so that's stuck as gray. Otherwise, that's the biggest noteworthy change from stock and the only thing that's hard to undo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I can see how the DeLorean community could value many of the things you've listed in terms of originality. Mostly that is because once you're already here, you're educated on it. What I see out and about is that people generally aren't educated on much in life and definitely not something as specific as DeLoreans. If we see so much being babbled on about with nuclear waste dumps (in my area anyway), clean energy, climate change, vaccinations, or any other of a pile of different subjects discussed daily, the theme is that people generally know very little about these subjects. Whether you go buy a new plasma TV or a certain style of brake pads for your car, most people have no clue on a wide range of things they do or buy everyday. It definitely wouldn't surprise me to see that your average new owner of a DeLorean really has no idea what they are buying or getting into either. I would have put myself in that camp when I bought my car, that's for sure. So to me, uneducated buyer = more comfort buying from recognized name = buyer goes with DMCX and not Joe on eBay.

EDIT: Contradicted/confused myself... as an uneducated buyer, I should have said they wouldn't see value in certain features or originality, as opposed to equating it to buying DMCX versus eBay. An uneducated buyer may still buy from eBay, but the price may need to be lower to justify not being a known name, and adding originality or special features probably won't register. Or something like that... lol.
    I'll admit that I wasn't acquainted with the three different hood styles when I purchased 1258. However, being "in" the community, and knowing these things are valued, why not err on the cautious side and keep these desired items so as to possibly attract a more educated buyer. Besides, a more educated would probably have more confidence to purchase from a private seller anyway.
    1-800-273-8255

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I did save every single part I took off of the car that was relevant to originality and re-usable. Some things, like the gas shocks and springs, were still OK, but had no practical reason to keep.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

If you're looking for feedback, the picture you have posted of the interior doesn't help. The binnacle looks blue, mismatched to the dash and kneepads, the seats look discoloured, looks like the interior could do with a refresh...

Was the frame ever taken out of your car and refurbished, or is it original?

I'd think about dying your interior vinyl parts to match if I was you, could be what the car needs to attract a premium price like $30k.

Sorry if this offends you, not my intention.

Regards,
    John

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have to agree, but I will be blunt... those pics are nothing short of terrible. The engine bay pic alone is enough to send anyone with more than 20k to spend running. I know you have done a lot to this car, I know that's a new Stage II...but it doesn't look like it's new. It looks like it is 30 years old and never seen a cleaning towel. The cockeyed mailbox letters on the throttle shield don't help and that shiny new stainless label kit pretty much amplifies how dirty that engine bay is.

The rear shot shows a fascia that is warped in more than a few places, and it's starting to sag. The front fascia has eyebrows, the underneath frame pic shows gray overspray on the underbody(a red flag to those in the know)....it's also missing the TA shields. The rear frame/transmission pic...no words needed. Those window controls will throw off anyone who doesn't know any better. I know you were making it better, but it looks like a hack fix to an un-informed potential buyer.

You stated this car has a complete restoration, those engine bay and frame pics do not help your story. You gave a huge list of things replaced and while this may be good to some, others will think "Damn, that thing needed a lot,...what else will break when I buy it?" Had you re-worded the ad to say these things were replaced in one or 2 lump sums, it might be better taken than someone assuming you had to replace this or that every other week.

Your wording in the ad was short and sweet...this does not sell a 30k car. Wording and pics are all you have, which makes them everything. A well worded ad and at least 18-25 pictures(good pictures) are a must when selling a 30 year old car for 30k.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-29-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have to agree, but I will be blunt... those pics are nothing short of terrible. The engine bay pic alone is enough to send anyone with more than 20k to spend running. I know you have done a lot to this car, I know that's a new Stage II...but it doesn't look like it's new. It looks like it is 30 years old and never seen a cleaning towel. The cockeyed mailbox letters on the throttle shield don't help and that shiny new stainless label kit pretty much amplifies how dirty that engine bay is.

The rear shot shows a fascia that is warped in more than a few places, and it's starting to sag. The front fascia has eyebrows, the underneath frame pic shows gray overspray on the underbody(a red flag to those in the know)....it's also missing the TA shields. The rear frame/transmission pic...no words needed. Those window controls will throw off anyone who doesn't know any better. I know you were making it better, but it looks like a hack fix to an un-informed potential buyer.

You stated this car has a complete restoration, those engine bay and frame pics do not help your story. You gave a huge list of things replaced and while this may be good to some, others will think "Damn, that thing needed a lot,...what else will break when I buy it?" Had you re-worded the ad to say these things were replaced in one or 2 lump sums, it might be better taken than someone assuming you had to replace this or that every other week.

Your wording in the ad was short and sweet...this does not sell a 30k car. Wording and pics are all you have, which makes them everything. A well worded ad and at least 18-25 pictures(good pictures) are a must when selling a 30 year old car for 30k.
    ^This^
    And there's still that whole pvt seller thing. You're more likely to sell if you do a consignment deal with one of the franchises if you can. You may lose a little, but IMHO it's the best option.
    1-800-273-8255

Banned

My VIN:    1798

If early VIN features (gas flap hood, dark grey wheels and center caps, center console clock, hand made door striker pin guides, Ducellier alternator, screws in the door sill plates, metal ash tray cover, etc), originality (original relays, perfect condition NCTs, Dunmurry installed door struts, original headlights, TA dust shields present, fully functional Craig audio system with original speakers, etc), cosmetics (perfect 100% original condition black interior with original floor mats, perfect condition original paint fascias, easily made perfect stainless, etc), and functionality (everything on my car is 100% fully functional with the exception of the A/C, which will be functional again soon) compose the value of our cars, then my car, with the documented QAC history that it has, and when compared to what DMC franchisees sell their cars for, should be worth $60,000-$80,000

In all honesty, I've yet to see another DeLorean as original and in as good as condition as #1798. She spent 20 years of her life in a temp/humidity controlled carcoon by the original owner.

Sorry folks, but she's not for sale at any price
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 08-29-2013 at 10:28 PM.

My VIN:    10842

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. What you "think" it's worth is irrelevant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast