FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rheostat on console...

My VIN:    4159

Rheostat on console...

I am deep into a project to replace my evaporator, but I am fixing things along the way too.

My rheostat on the center console has never worked, or at least I never noticed what it does. It does not dim anything...

So, what does it do? Also, does it have a stop? Mine just moves around 360+ degrees in all directions, freely. I took it out and am testing resistance, nothing significant yet.

Has anyone every torn one apart to check inside? If so, do I just bend those little "o" ears up?

Thanks,

Sean

My VIN:    3937

It is supposed to dim the instrument back lighting. Mine spins pretty freely as well, but I don't recall if there is a hard stop in either direction. Have not taken mine apart.

As I understand it, the LED bulb swap modification and subsequent relay change obsoletes the rheostat. Maybe someone else can chime in what this means if they have done it on their car?

What wires do you have connected to the underside of it?

Here's a photo of mine from last winter when things were apart.

IMG_3187.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rothsean View Post
    I am deep into a project to replace my evaporator, but I am fixing things along the way too.

My rheostat on the center console has never worked, or at least I never noticed what it does. It does not dim anything...

So, what does it do? Also, does it have a stop? Mine just moves around 360+ degrees in all directions, freely. I took it out and am testing resistance, nothing significant yet.

Has anyone every torn one apart to check inside? If so, do I just bend those little "o" ears up?

Thanks,

Sean
    It should dim the binnacle lights only. If it has been bypassed they are bright all the time. The rheostat should be connected per the schematic, between the red-white wire and a bunch of red-orange wires tied to the headlight switch.

There is a repair kit available to fix the internals so that it doesn't spin around like that. Yes you can open it up, the resistive disc is probably not spinning when you turn the knob.

http://store.delorean.com/p-7034-rheostat-stop.aspx
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4159

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It is supposed to dim the instrument back lighting. Mine spins pretty freely as well, but I don't recall if there is a hard stop in either direction. Have not taken mine apart.

As I understand it, the LED bulb swap modification and subsequent relay change obsoletes the rheostat. Maybe someone else can chime in what this means if they have done it on their car?

IMG_3187.jpg
    Yeah, mine is set up the same way.

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

IMG_3187.jpg
    If you go with LED illumination the only way to dim is by using a PWM dimmer unit. It switches the LEDs on/off very quickly to simulate lower level lighting. However when I did mine the PWM requires connections to the +12v and Ground sides of the circuit. Since the ground is shared between the illumination bulbs and other instruments, I needed to wire in a dedicated ground return wire from the illumination to the PWM.

I wrote this up somewhere here? It was a bit if a pain but I really wanted 100%LED dash.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I have LEDs and Cliff Schmucker gave me a new rheostat that does dim the binnacle LEDs. It used the stock wires and took maybe 5 minutes to install. I'll have to take some pictures next time I take out my shifter plate and try to figure out what he used.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I have LEDs and Cliff Schmucker gave me a new rheostat that does dim the binnacle LEDs. It used the stock wires and took maybe 5 minutes to install. I'll have to take some pictures next time I take out my shifter plate and try to figure out what he used.
    Any chance you got a photo of it. It can't be a rheostat, it must be a PWM or something similar. Dave (bitsyncmaster) may know, but I think there is a less common PWM circuit that drives through the 12v side rather than the ground side. IIRC driving through the ground side is considered the prefered method by 9 out of 10 cats.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Any chance you got a photo of it. It can't be a rheostat, it must be a PWM or something similar. Dave (bitsyncmaster) may know, but I think there is a less common PWM circuit that drives through the 12v side rather than the ground side. IIRC driving through the ground side is considered the prefered method by 9 out of 10 cats.
    I'll take a picture. The stock rheostat knob even fits on it. You can't tell there is something other than stock underneath it.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Lucas offers a replacement Rheostat that works and fits like the Original.
    It also works with bulbs and LED alike.

Mine came from AES in the UK (website autoelectricsupplies.co.uk).
    Stock code is 083001 price GBP 41,43 excl shipment.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I'll take a picture. The stock rheostat knob even fits on it. You can't tell there is something other than stock underneath it.
    Did you get the photo Patrick?
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast