FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Centerforce Performance Clutch

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I bet NichR will be seriously looking into this!

(Ahem- Ron, best not be bringing up "A-bombs...you know...)
    The Centerforce pressure plate is supposed to have counterweights so it has reduced pedal pressure but as the RPM's increase, centrifugal force on the counterweights increase the clamping pressure.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I have the Standard Centerforce clutch on my car. (supposedly 30% more clamping pressure than Stock) I purchased it From ROB GRADY back in 96.

My clutch has the Finger Weights and is essentially nothing more than a stock VALEO clutch with the added weights a pretty GOLD paint job and Centerforce sticker on it (removed) in a Centerforce box.

This photo was taken in 2010 with about 40K on it. I did NOT clean or wipe it down prior to the photo. It was the that clean when transmission was removed for other internal work.

SD530402.jpg

I recall going to my local performance auto parts store back then and looking through there Centerforce Applications book, Back then they had a DUAL FRICTION HIGH PERFORMANCE clutch option. I remember thinking to myself, WOW that seems like a bit of overkill and I wondered to myself how many had every been sold.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The Centerforce pressure plate is supposed to have counterweights so it has reduced pedal pressure but as the RPM's increase, centrifugal force on the counterweights increase the clamping pressure.
    David Teitelbaum
    Centerforce dropped the center-weights when Valeo redesigned the pressure plate maybe 10 years ago. The weights would not fit any more. For a while a Centerforce was a dead stock Valeo clutch painted gold. I guess they finally found something to charge an extra couple hundred bucks for.

I've driven a bunch of DeLoreans (obviously) and my personal car has a circa 1999 Centerforce Clutch in it (WITH the weights). I can't tell any difference at all between that one and a stock one, other than sometimes it seems to be a bit noisy (clunks) on engagement. No feel differences, and certainly no grip difference. I pulled one out of a car where the spring/weight assembly had sort of exploded parts all over the inside of the bellhousing, so I'm not convinced it was a particularly good idea even at the time.

As for the current design, I'm not sure I want a puck-style clutch in a street car, they tend to be grabby or, in this case, just wear out the other side faster. I really don't understand the "dual friction" BS - one side of the disc is against the steel flywheel, the other is against the steel pressure plate, and both are pressed by the same spring force. Explain to me, if the puck side grabs so much better, why doesn't the normal side just slip more? I have never seen a DeLorean with a clutch that slipped due to excess power, and any that were slippy were just plain worn out.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3281, 6344

I put ~40k miles on a Centerforce clutch with the weights, then overhauled/upgraded my engine and gearbox and replaced it with the stock kit. I can't tell one bit of difference between the two either. And I'm far more aggressive with the new/stock one.

Travis

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I have never seen a DeLorean with a clutch that slipped due to excess power, and any that were slippy were just plain worn out.
    My car must just make too much power!
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    05287

Well regardless if the clutch is needed for everyone out there at least the option is there! I have used centerforce clutches for my off road toys as well as a few of my street / track cars that had higher hp ( 3-400 ) or even higher torque ratings for the off road / track applications.

Without the option there wasn't really other performance clutches available for the D is there ?

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

clutch options

I remember reading in Hot Rod magazine twenty some odd years ago, about a hyd slave clutch cylinder that replaced the throwout bearing. I believe the company name was Fox or Coyote? The idea was a more positive force could be applied, with one inch of throw. This may have been a possible fix for grinding shifts, before it was found that the line was the problem. Did this ever make it to market?

Paul Cerny #2691
    Kalispell, MT

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I bet NichR will be seriously looking into this!

(Ahem- Ron, best not be bringing up "A-bombs...you know...)
    lol..you got me.
    Let me rephrase:
    1083241-overkill.jpg

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    lol..you got me.
    Let me rephrase:
    1083241-overkill.jpg
    Now we are talking! I love over kill.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I remember reading in Hot Rod magazine twenty some odd years ago, about a hyd slave clutch cylinder that replaced the throwout bearing. I believe the company name was Fox or Coyote? The idea was a more positive force could be applied, with one inch of throw.
    That is the common design GM vehicles (and I'm sure many others) now. The main drawback to that design is that a clutch hydraulic failure means you drop the trans for repair. I don't see how a throwout (release) bearing can have any influence on clamping force, although I suppose it would allow the designer to use stronger springs in the assembly and adjust the hydraulic leverage to compensate.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast