FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Centerforce Performance Clutch

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by elfking View Post
    Without the option there wasn't really other performance clutches available for the D is there ?
    I was debating how a stock pressure plate repainted gold, and a stock disc with the facing changed on one side, could be considered "performance". But I'm sure people will buy it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    05287

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I was debating how a stock pressure plate repainted gold, and a stock disc with the facing changed on one side, could be considered "performance". But I'm sure people will buy it.
    Well what I was getting at is that IF there is a performance increase as some of their clutches tend to have... Either with weights , stronger material or what have you. Yes in this case there may not be as much of a difference... I haven't needed to pull out my clutch yet to know what's in there style wise but if your saying that these clutches are identical and just repainted then of course it's a waste of money.

Two uprated OEM clutches are available for the 2.5 turbo cars (alpine GTA and 25 turbo) and 3.0 turbo cars (alpine A610 and Safrane Biturbo). Either fits the DeLorean. I wouldn't buy a centreforce with these options available.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Two uprated OEM clutches are available for the 2.5 turbo cars (alpine GTA and 25 turbo) and 3.0 turbo cars (alpine A610 and Safrane Biturbo). Either fits the DeLorean. I wouldn't buy a centreforce with these options available.
    Hi Martin,

Is the Pressure Plate also uprated with those turbo car setups or is it just the Clutch Disc that is uprated?

On the uprated Clutch Disc, how is it uprated? (different friction material? puck-style friction material layout on the disc?)

I have not "used up" my OEM Valeo Clutch Disc on my Grand National powered DeLorean (yet), but I think my car can benefit
    from an uprated Clutch system, when I need to do a replacement. The 3.8L Turbo has the potential of putting out lots of HP.

Thanks,
    Rich W.

Hi Rich,

In the 2.5 turbo clutch, there are uprated springs in both the pressure plate and the drive plate (identifiable by pink & blue springs). This has a lighter pedal than the original DeLorean clutch (but not as light as the modern Valeo clutch for NA engines).

DSCN3222.jpg

The 3.0 turbo clutch uses the same Valeo drive plate but has a Matra-made uprated pressure plate whose fingers are a weird shape. Apologies I don't have a photo of that. Its pedal is about as stiff as a stock original DeLorean clutch
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Hi Rich,

The 3.0 turbo clutch uses the same Valeo drive plate but has a Matra-made uprated pressure plate whose fingers are a weird shape. Apologies I don't have a photo of that. Its pedal is about as stiff as a stock original DeLorean clutch
    Martin,

here it is the picture of the A610 clutch

PICT1020.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2297/0zk4.jpg
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Hi Rich,

In the 2.5 turbo clutch, there are uprated springs in both the pressure plate and the drive plate (identifiable by pink & blue springs). This has a lighter pedal than the original DeLorean clutch (but not as light as the modern Valeo clutch for NA engines).

DSCN3222.jpg

That's the same clutch I have. It does feel much nicer than the one I removed, but after all I did remove the old one because it was due for replacement
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    ... but after all I did remove the old one because it was due for replacement
    Just about anything would feel better than a 30-year-old clutch with a tired/rusty pressure plate!

The OEM redesign about 8 years ago made a big difference in clutch feel, it is somewhat lighter that the original one was.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

In my 3.0 single turbo that Josh at DPI is building for me, I will be using the A610 clutch. I'll report on it when it is done and in my hands...
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 20098 View Post
    In my 3.0 single turbo that Josh at DPI is building for me, I will be using the A610 clutch. I'll report on it when it is done and in my hands...
    Ha, I was looking at your car at DPI.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast