FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Hot start problem resolved due to failed check valve in the DMCH fuel pump

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Interesting coincidence. I'm going to be replacing my fuel accumulator when my new one arrives and I'm debating whether or not to replace that same line. Mine looks to be original to my car and I'd be replacing it with the same type of line that you did, Jon. I saw on the other thread how you had it ready to go in 15 minutes. Sounds like a pretty easy deal to make that connection to the hardline up in the car?

To my knowledge, the replacement line is flexible whereas the OEM is on the more rigid side. A part of me wants to keep that OEM hose in there and reduce the chance of the same kink developing that you had. Thoughts?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Personally my opinion is to replace it. The kinked hose was not the new rubber-only style that is currently available. The kinked one was not OEM but was OEM-style at least. But my experiences are not indicative of what anyone else should expect. I am just a big fan of not taking any risks with gasoline.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

My VIN:    1798

If the black composite outer sheath is sticky to the touch and flaking off, exposing the braided fabric mid-layer, then it's a stock/OEM hose. If not, then it's probably some kind of aftermarket replacement hose.

If the hose is stock/OEM and hasn't been stressed at all, then it should be fine. If it has been through a couple accumulator changes already though, then it's probably a good idea to change it out with a new piece of Gates fuel injection (high pressure) hose.

So i got a phone call back in January telling me that they had like 100% failure rate with the check valve and they were thinking about a recall. They asked if i had problems with the check valve and i told them about the emails i sent them and how they told me i was the only person who had this problem and how my unit was out of warranty by a few months. "there was nothing they can do" I was one of the first people to get the "improved" unit. Now i can't get them to call me back about the recall.

At the end of the day i have just been buying from some were else. It is all you can do when company's do shady business.

I wish i stuck with the original, it worked for 30 years, this new one i have no faith in. DMC Huston dose not stand behind there product in my experience.

After a day to cool off, i was harsh on DMCH. They are not shady. I think they got overwhelmed by this problem. (I know i did)

I was just heated up when i think about all the days and money spent trying to track down the check valve problem.

I would still order from them. I was assured by other dealers the only problem with the new pumps was the check valve.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17