FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear quarter

Rear quarter

To anyone who's ever removed thier quarter, there is a hole in the fiberglass underbody that I can see my speaker through. Is it supposed to be open or should it be sealed off?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    To anyone who's ever removed thier quarter, there is a hole in the fiberglass underbody that I can see my speaker through. Is it supposed to be open or should it be sealed off?
    That's an early-VIN thing. You should be able to safely seal it off. Some people say it's to allow the air to escape the car when you shut the doors but most people say it's just a way for water to get in
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    The early car fiberglass molds had these holes in the tub. They were to be used to relieve the pressure that was thought to occur inside the cabin when the doors would close. Turns out it didn't really matter since they were patched over in the later molds. These holes are also known to leak water through them in the seals on the backside of the panel do not hold up.

You can cover these holes with no issues at all, and will probably reduce road noise inside the car. Many people fiberglass over them, my car had duct tape over it, which I replaced by using the cap that covers the seat belt bolt on the outside of the car (under the door sill), put a giant bead of silicone on it, and then duct taped over that. Whichever way you do it, it will all be an improvement.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    That's an early-VIN thing. You should be able to safely seal it off. Some people say it's to allow the air to escape the car when you shut the doors but most people say it's just a way for water to get in
    Early vin meaning up to what number???

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

here is a thread about it with some photos of it glassed over:

Hole in fiberglass body
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Early vin meaning up to what number???

Cheers
    Steve
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I feel this is decent information if someone is to search this up.

11408 had these holes, so it doesnt sound like an early vin thing to me. However if my tub was swapped at some point in time I wouldn't be surprised either.

If you do not want to fiberglass the hole, head to the junkyard and get some center caps off of a geo metro/ chevy sprint / pontiac firefly / suzuki swift. Snaps right in. Finish it off with some silicone for good measure, but I doubt it would leak without it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I feel this is decent information if someone is to search this up.

11408 had these holes, so it doesnt sound like an early vin thing to me. However if my tub was swapped at some point in time I wouldn't be surprised either.

If you do not want to fiberglass the hole, head to the junkyard and get some center caps off of a geo metro/ chevy sprint / pontiac firefly / suzuki swift. Snaps right in. Finish it off with some silicone for good measure, but I doubt it would leak without it.

Nice but you should have opted for a Pontiac one to pay homage to JZD time slaving away in that division.
    Barry

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Nice but you should have opted for a Pontiac one to pay homage to JZD time slaving away in that division.
    haha! I was looking for it but I could only find a chevy one unfortunately. 'merica

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.