FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How To: Front speaker replacement made easy

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Where's the best place to order those standoffs? Im in the process of removing my front speakers and really dont wanna have to fiddle with getting them back in...hehe.

I got mine from unicorpinc.com. I bought 10mm tall and 4mm thread I believe. I can't remember where I bought the washers with the rubber backing though. I think it was lowes or home depor

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks Ill check there
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Where's the best place to order those standoffs? Im in the process of removing my front speakers and really dont wanna have to fiddle with getting them back in...hehe.
    I think I ordered mine via eBay from China. You might find via eBay and a US shipper at a bit higher cost
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    5470

By the way, to the genius who posted this idea initially - thank you so much. I have no idea how much time and frustration this saved, but it was awesome.

I bought mine on Amazon, (like 99% of the things I buy in life). $7!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are shorter than recommended, so I doubled them up.

Also, interesting tip: put two together, with a washer in between. Now glue the washer to the female side only, then let it sit overnight. Then when you take it apart, you've got a washer perfectly glued to the top of the standoff.

Good idea on gluing a washer on them. Gonna be a while before I can get new speakers to replace mine.

Removing the old ones wasnt much of a problem..cept one of the nuts on the passenger side one wouldnt come off..had to wiggle n twist the speaker to get it loose.
    Driver side came right out easy peasy.

Biggest suggestion I can give...remove your seats...Id have still been trying to squeeze under the steering wheel if mine werent already out.
    Last edited by Lwanmtr; 04-22-2017 at 01:55 AM.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    By the way, to the genius who posted this idea initially - thank you so much. I have no idea how much time and frustration this saved, but it was awesome.
    Thanks! I'm not sure about the genius part tho . I'm glad to hear that others are benefiting.

At the factory, this was probably a piece of cake with the dash upside down on a bench. Different story when you are on your back.

And to whoever first came up with the washer glueing. Good idea! It is amazing how fast the speaker magnet will suck parts to it. The brass stand-off is immune but not the washers... unless you are using SS washers.

Nick
    Nick

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Thanks! I'm not sure about the genius part tho .
    Nick
    Your profile pic would beg to differ.

My VIN:    4941

standoff concern

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Correct. Others have used standoffs to space the speaker down from the dash. I wanted my speakers flush to the underside of the dash. I ordered the long standoffs and simply used them as nuts ... long nuts. No more trying to get a nut, or even a short standoff into that small opening

The passenger side went in in a couple minutes. The driver side a bit longer (the stud pointed such that I had to grind a bit of underdash away.
    I think that is a good idea, but I have one concern. Shouldn't we be using lock-nuts on speakers? Regular nuts, standoffs, and coupling nuts will vibrate loose eventually. (speakers do a lot of vibrating).

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    I think that is a good idea, but I have one concern. Shouldn't we be using lock-nuts on speakers? Regular nuts, standoffs, and coupling nuts will vibrate loose eventually. (speakers do a lot of vibrating).
    You can use Locktite (blue not red). Or use lock washers.

IIRC ... the origial nuts were not locknuts. There may be some soft compression that helps avoid nut loosening.
    Nick

The small 3.5" front speakers arent going to vibrate enough cause the nuts to rattle loose, as long as you tighten them good. I never had any speakers I installed in a car come loose from that myself.....of course I dont run 35" car vibrator speakers with 30000w amps...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2