FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My first self imposed blemish...

My VIN:    16882.

My first self imposed blemish...

Well I managed to curb-rash the front spoiler last weekend. Right on the edge there's about 4 inches of rash/scratches. Minor, but I'd like to take care of it. The spoiler appears to be hard plastic; what's the best way to remove the rough scratches/curb rash? Should I sand it down? What grit should I use? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My VIN:    6125

Got any photos? if the scratches are light you may be able to buff them out. I'm assuming your lower spoiler is stock raw plastic as it came from the factory and not painted black.

Since the spoiler is textured it makes things a little more difficult. If you use sand paper or a scotch brite pad to try and remove the scratches you could make it worse, or you'll sand everything too smooth and there will be a noticeable spot where the finish is different.

You could also experiment with flame polishing the scratches away. We use this technique here at work on scratched rotomolded plastic components on vehicle interiors. Precise application of heat with a pen torch can remove the appearance of scuffs and scratches while maintaining the surface texture.

If your spoiler has been previously painted then you could probably just give it a fresh coat of paint to hide the scratches.

If your spoiler is unpainted and the scratches are deep enough you fill them with bumper repair adhesive and then paint over the top to hide the scratches. I personally prefer the look of the unpainted plastic though.

A worst case alternative would be to replace the spoiler.
    http://store.delorean.com/p-9710-spoiler.aspx

Stock raw plastic, not painted. See attached pictures.

Thanks everyone for any additional tips.

My VIN:    6125

It looks like you rounded off the sharp edge a little bit but since the damage is right along that feature line it may make hiding the damage a little easier. I'd probably use some fine grit sandpaper to even out some of the deeper scratches and then see if a pen torch can help make the white/grey look of the scratches disappear. You could try roughing up a hidden spot on the back side of the spoiler first with some heavy grit sandpaper and then testing the flame polish method on that first before you attempt it in a visible spot. If the heat method doesn't work there are various plastic polishes out there that might be able to remove some of the lighter scratches and make it look blacker to blend in.

I'd be really intersted to hear from one of the vendors on how they might go about fixing something like this.

Agreed, I'd like to hear from one of the vendors as well. I'm sure I could fix it myself if I only knew how...

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We fix imperfections like this all the time. There is a trade off though. The over all texture of the part will be changed to a finer finish. This is due in part to plastic welding the damaged section and then using various DA methods to smooth the transition and blend the rest of the part. Final prep of build primer and SEM black and it is as good as new.

This is a part that needs removed for the work to be performed/painted correctly but can be done on car. The other thing you will run into is the breaking of spoiler studs.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Josh, thank you for your reply Any idea how much it would cost to repair this? Dies it take a long time? I'm not interested in making the damage disappear (i.e., altering the entire spoiler) but only making the 4 inches of damage look better without touching the rest of the spoiler, does that make sense? I don't want to work on the entire piece just to blend in 4 inches if damage, I just want the damaged section to look better than it does now.

My VIN:    17111

i fixed my spoiler on my volkswagen , for 20$......i just sand the scratch and after , i apply 4 coats of plasti dip paint....its the exact color and finish....and you can remove it in 2 years if you want...

Quote Originally Posted by krustydmc View Post
    i fixed my spoiler on my volkswagen , for 20$......i just sand the scratch and after , i apply 4 coats of plasti dip paint....its the exact color and finish....and you can remove it in 2 years if you want...
    Remove it in 2 years...?

My VIN:    17111

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Remove it in 2 years...?

yes , you can paint the car and pell it of 2 or 3 years later

easy to do on spoiler