FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Aftermarket seats anyone?

Aftermarket seats anyone?

Being 6'6" I figured I'd ask around to see what others have done to create more room in their cars. Ideally installing aftermarket seats.

In other cars i've owned, ive had to switch out the factory seats with Recaro (SRD) seats to create more space. No worries as those seats have almost always been more comfortable than the seats they replaced. My plans never intended to keep my future D stock so swapping seats should fit right in with the "higher performance" aspirations I have for the car.

Is there any space under the factory D seats that can be utilized with custom brackets for such seats? I've only ever sat in two Deloreans and both were a bit on the tight side. I have a 35" inseam and a size 16 shoe...

My VIN:    06960

All of the swapped seats I've seen actually reduced the room available as it caused the seat to ride slightly higher. The stock seats already sit you down almost as low as possible.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    All of the swapped seats I've seen actually reduced the room available as it caused the seat to ride slightly higher. The stock seats already sit you down almost as low as possible.
    I wonder if anyone would have a picture of the stock seat bottom and bracket assembly sitting on the ground outside of the car to evaluate how much space is available under there. Maybe a measurement of the overall height of the bracket and seat bottom from the floor of the vehicle?

My VIN:    06960

With the rails removed, the seat bottom in virtually flush. The rails themselves lift the seats up about 3/4". The rest of the height is determined by the position of the seat on the molded floor. The floor gets higher the further the seat is moved forward. The foam near the rear of the seat bottom is approximately 2" thick, and the rubber bottom-support does "give" under weight. Enough so that a fully rearward seat under a moderate-heavy person is probably literally sitting on the floor.

Here is a shot of the seat bottom with rails removed...

Other images are in my heated/cooled seat thread...
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?34...D-Cooled-Seats
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

I have installed lotus esprit seats I believe 85 esprit but I used Delorean seat rails for the installation. The seat is more like a banana seat. The underneath of the seat where your behind rests is more like elastic with no foam and you behind will actually sink down to rest between the seat rails and just mm above the floor of the inside of the car. The seat rails are virtually the same just the esprit has different mounting points by an inch which is why I used the original Delorean rails so I didn't have to drill different mounting point if the floor or the car.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

My car seems to have a thinner than normal lower seat. This has made my car far more comfortable than others I've driven so that helps with my 6'4" frame, the driver cushion seems to be thinner and softer than the passenger side.

I'd say take your seat to an upholsterer and you can get thinner foam installed. They could probably shorten the seat cover too so it won't look loose or saggy. Should be cheaper than new seats and wouldn't look out of place.