FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 'Warm' smells

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

'Warm' smells

I know you guys don't like when people are vague, but I'm gonna be really vague.... recently I've noticed what I can only really describe as 'warm' smells inside the cabin (doesn't seem to be burning though). I was driving home today and noticed it, although it can happen at any time.
    I didn't have the radio, lights, blower fan, or anything running. Hard to tell where it's coming from but it seems to be the dash area as opposed to the fuse box.

Does anyone know what I'm getting at, or am I imagining things? Is this a 'normal' D smell? I know how electrics, etc. get warm after time in use, maybe that's what I'm picking up.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    03572

Maybe a coolant leak in the heater.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Maybe a coolant leak in the heater.
    Hi Dave, will look into that, where would be the best place to check?
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Hi Dave, will look into that, where would be the best place to check?
    You would probaly see coolant from the AC drain hose. There is an oder you will smell if it's coolant.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pull the wooden cover off the fusebock and see if the smell is stronger in that area.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Warm smell? How about a warm feeling to go with that? What are your current driving climate conditions? Assuming you have a LH drive D. Does your right foot seem like it gets a unusually warm when you don't have the heat turned on? There is a very common issue called "hot foot syndrome". The heater core always has hot coolant flowing through it (EXCEPT during MAX A/C when the water valve is closed). When the car is moving you always have a natural pressure flow of circulating air through the car even if the blower fan is OFF. Their is a FOAM SEAL that is supposed to close a large opening in the HEATER HOUSING where the heater core pipes protrude from it. The Old glue dries out and the foam seal separates from the housing leaving a large opening that hot air will radiate from. This could be your WARM SMELL, but usually coincides with a WARM FEEL too.

The classic Warm smells are the typical burning electrical wire insulation or plastics which is very distinctive. Seeping Coolant has a moist "SWEET" smell and is also very distinctive.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Warm smell? How about a warm feeling to go with that? What are your current driving climate conditions? Assuming you have a LH drive D. Does your right foot seem like it gets a unusually warm when you don't have the heat turned on? There is a very common issue called "hot foot syndrome". The heater core always has hot coolant flowing through it (EXCEPT during MAX A/C when the water valve is closed). When the car is moving you always have a natural pressure flow of circulating air through the car even if the blower fan is OFF. Their is a FOAM SEAL that is supposed to close a large opening in the HEATER HOUSING where the heater core pipes protrude from it. The Old glue dries out and the foam seal separates from the housing leaving a large opening that hot air will radiate from. This could be your WARM SMELL, but usually coincides with a WARM FEEL too.

The classic Warm smells are the typical burning electrical wire insulation or plastics which is very distinctive. Seeping Coolant has a moist "SWEET" smell and is also very distinctive.
    I think you might have the answer Dennis, I remember duct taping that hole closed last year! It's quite likely the tape has come loose as it was very difficult to get to, and I think I might not have applied the tape correctly. I'll have a look!

I really hope it's not electrical, I thought I had all the electrical gremlins sorted...

Thanks guys!
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

I immediately thought "cookies" but it sounds like you've got this one solved!

Chuck