FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Automatic Shift Points

My VIN:    1695

Automatic Shift Points

I have only read a little bit about the automatic governor. At full throttle my auto shifts at 5000rpm. Is there a way to up these shift points?

Thanks

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by patburton View Post
    I have only read a little bit about the automatic governor. At full throttle my auto shifts at 5000rpm. Is there a way to up these shift points?

Thanks
    Shift it manually.

There is a very slight adjustment possible by shortening the cable to the governor, but don't go crazy our you will limit overall throttle travel.

Also make sure that the full throttle microswitch is actually connected and functional.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It might be worth mentioning that, unless you engine is beefed up, you're probably approaching the end of your power band near there anyway??

is it still the original - unrepaired - Governor ?

My VIN:    1695

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    is it still the original - unrepaired - Governor ?
    It is the original governor. I feel that it is still pulling when it shifts. I think it could stand to be shifted at 6000. I cannot shift it manually. It will shift out of 1st. I can hold out 2nd gear but not first.

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by patburton View Post
    It is the original governor. I feel that it is still pulling when it shifts. I think it could stand to be shifted at 6000. I cannot shift it manually. It will shift out of 1st. I can hold out 2nd gear but not first.
    You will need to adjust the linkage going to the governor. The cable will need to be shortened. If you're not sure what I'm taking about you can look closely at the throttle spool. There you will see one cable coming from the gas pedal and a second cable going to the governor. Make sure that when you step on the gas the spool actually goes all the way to full open - this is a very common problem where the cable is not adjusted properly. Now, if it does and it activates the double full throttle switch you will need to hold the throttle fully open and look at the governor (on the transmission). The cable goes to an arm on the governor. At full throttle the arm needs to move almost all the way to the stop. IIRC there should be about 1mm clearance between the arm and the stop pin. If you have the shop manual you will find the setting procedure there.
    Hope this helps.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If the adjustments above don't work out, you could modify the circuit...probably be more involved than resistors. Also note that holding 1st but not 2nd could easily be a bad GC.