FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to Repair Power Mirror Switch

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

How to Repair Power Mirror Switch

I put up a request for this, nothing yet. But I have a proceedure that may offer limited success.

I have a spare switch that only intermittently worked on a few functions, but mostly nothing. The switch seemed physically ok, nothing broken (the paddle joystick needed to be glued on) but it was gummed up electrically. This unit sat in my car before I saved it and was rained on for years with no drivers side glass installed.

All I did was soak it for 5 minutes in Tarnex. I drained it and then soaked as much WD40 into it as I could to help displace the remaining Tarnex. Finally I cleaned it thouroughly with paper towels to get as much WD40 off the surface as possible. Now every function works.

Everyone may not be so lucky, so if someone has ever had the switch apart - chime in.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

this stuff?
    Attached Images
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Yeah, but is really important to get a really good rinse (I used WD40) after your done as it can be harsh on the metal if it stays on. Another option, probably better, is to use this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103700

Yeah, good call.

In fact I'm thinking of pulling my radio and cleaning all pots and buttons. They make a lot of static and noise when changing or adjusting anything.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Since I have a spare that would not even move, with this one I decided to open it up...

I have made up names for the parts to facilitate further discussion. Its relatively easy to take apart - there are 4 plastic pins that need to get drilled down on the back of the switch, you pull the paddle off the end of the shaft and it comes apart.

Everything inside is relatively easy to clean - its just that getting it back together is a little harder... Note that the steel balls go into the metal tubes and are pressed on by springs - the balls can shoot quite a distance if they pop loose, and they are hard to find. I had to crack open a BMW? window switch to get more when I lost one somewhere in the mud room. Seriously, do this in a space where you can find lost balls easier...

Also, the "bushing" seems to only possibly go under the rocker assembly - but parts scattered when I took it apart so its possible that's wrong.

OK, who has worked as a watchmaker before that can tell us how to reassemble the unit?

Seriously, that's kind of my plan - I may take it to the watch repair guy at the mall and ask him if he can put it back together now. I tried several clever approaches which all failed. I think the roller pins can be held in place over the springs in the back of the left/right switch by tying them down with dental floss, which could then be cut and extracted like stitches once everything was back together, but the rocker assembly would challenge even Ted Kazinsky's skills to reassemble. Maybe Hervey can use the same guy that rebuilds window switches - but this is a lot tougher.

I bring this up because that darned NOS switch on ebay the other day went for a LOT of money...

Ideas?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TTait; 07-23-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Between the combined efforts of myself and the other owner now up here (he's on here, SDMC, and will chime in at his leisure) we managed to assemble his mirror switch. It came apart while we were removing it from his door. It had clearly been disassembled and reassembled previously, and was poorly done. One mirror direction did not work, and the casing looks like they had tried to melt it to seal it.

We sourced ball bearings for the mirror direction from a bicycle shop. When they were all in a small bag, you couldn't tell the difference.

A small dab of "battery protector" gel from the local parts shop held the bearings in place while fitting the rocker assembly back into the back plate.

I was having issues with the springs and roller pins, but that was handled by the other owner. Just takes a steady hand and patience, neither of which I had that day.

As long as you have all the pieces, or can get suitable replacements, it's worth taking the time to attempt a rebuild. His mirror switch now controls both mirrors, in all directions.

My LH mirror has all functions but the RH (passenger side) only has in/out and NOT up/down.

Before I tear anything apart, does this sound like a switch issue or a mirror/motor issue?

Cheers
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Has it always been like that? To test for sure, remove the mirrors and hook the passenger side up to the driver side connector. If it doesn't work, then you know it's definitely the motor.

The left/right switch has three little spring loaded barbell-looking rods making electrical connections....is it possible one of those connections when it's switched to the right isn't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    Has it always been like that? To test for sure, remove the mirrors and hook the passenger side up to the driver side connector. If it doesn't work, then you know it's definitely the motor.

The left/right switch has three little spring loaded barbell-looking rods making electrical connections....is it possible one of those connections when it's switched to the right isn't working?
    Yeah, the RH mirror has been like that as long as I've had the car.

I'm a little confused when you say to hook the passenger side up to the drivers side. Do you mean the wires under the switch?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

I'm talking more about plugging the mirror itself into the wiring harness on the opposite door. If it's a switch (or wiring) problem, you will know it if the mirror suddenly works perfectly. OTOH, if it continues not moving up and down, you know it's the mirror motor that needs to be replaced.

Talking about wiring, though, even before you start removing mirrors it's a good idea to check all the wires at the bottom of the switch to make sure none of them are loose. On the switch we rebuilt back in October, two wires came loose. A quick solder job took care of that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast